Re: swainv (829 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Afsin Toparlak
Message 1 of 9 (1,142 Views)

swainv

hi all,
I wanted to run patch assesments on ITRC, so I downloaded swainv and generated inventory.xml files with it. After an upload into assesment page on ITRC I get for all of my hosts "invalid format" errors. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
thnx, best regards ;)
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 2 of 9 (1,142 Views)

Re: swainv

Hi:

The old 'swainv' tool is deprecated. The replacement is the Software Assistant (SWA). Fetch and install it from:

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B6834AA

Regards!

...JRF...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Evan Zweifel
Message 3 of 9 (1,142 Views)

Neither the ITRC nor swainv has been deprecated. The SWA tools also performs HP-UX patch (and security) analysis, however it also uses the swainv collector to identify content on your system.

Can you try the ITRC again with your collection, and be more detailed about your error (there may be a location in the collection file that would be helpful).

thanks,

Evan
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Afsin Toparlak
Message 4 of 9 (1,142 Views)

sorry I am new to HP-UX patching issues, how can I use ITRC to do an assessment? Why I have problems with swainv?
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 5 of 9 (1,142 Views)

>how can I use ITRC ...

If you have more related questions, you can reopen the thread with:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#41
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 6 of 9 (1,142 Views)

Hi (again):

> Evan: Neither the ITRC nor swainv has been deprecated

Yes, I misspoke, I meant to say that the old Security Patch Check was deprecated.

Quoting from the software depot link to SWA:

"The SWA tool supersedes Security Patch Check (SPC), and is the HP-recommended utility for maintaining currency with HP-published security bulletins and recommended patch levels for HP-UX software. The SWA tool incorporates key functionality from Security Patch Check (SecPatchCk bundle name), ITRC patch assessment, and more."

Regards!

...JRF...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Evan Zweifel
Message 7 of 9 (1,142 Views)

From your first post, it looked like you were doing the correct steps.

Download swainv (the collector), execute swainv on the system you wish to analyze,
upload the inventory.xml file into the itrc, and run the assessment.

The instructions are in the right side bar on the patch assessment page:

http://www.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/assessSystemsPage.do?BC=main|

a link to the instructions are at:

http://www.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/wrap.do?pageKey=patch.html.howToPerformAssessment

If you are having trouble uploading, I suspect that it is because there is something wrong with the collection (inventory.xml) as generated by swainv. This can happend when transferring the file between HP-UX systems and Windows systems (be sure to use binary mode when ftp'ing), and on rare occasions when odd packages are installed.

If you open the collection with internet explorer, if the file is invalid, it may give you an indication on which line the problem occurs. Then you can open the file using the editor and delete anything that looks odd.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Surind
Message 8 of 9 (832 Views)

Hi,

Can you guys please tell me, from where I can download the swainv script?

I have a hard time locating the script.

Thank

Surinder

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 9 of 9 (829 Views)

[ Edited ]

>Can you guys please tell me, from where I can download the swainv script?

It is on the HPSC with the patches.  Patch management > Upload system information

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation