Re: removing patches in the save_custom directory (296 Views)
Advisor
Shawn Zehnder
Message 1 of 6 (296 Views)
Accepted Solution

removing patches in the save_custom directory

I would like to know if the patches in the /var/adm/sw/save_custom directory can be removed. Typically when I'm running out of space in /var I would tar up /var/adm/sw/save to a different mount point. I would then remove all patches in the save directory. This would clear needed space in /var. I also noticed there's a /var/adm/sw/save_custom directory. Would it be possible to run the same procedure on this directory to clear up additional space?
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 2 of 6 (296 Views)

Re: removing patches in the save_custom directory

Hi Shawn:

The safest and simplest way to cleanup '/var/adm/sw' (the Installed Product Database) and recover space in '/var' is to use the 'cleanup' command.

# cleanup -c 1

...will remove patch roll-back images for patches that have been committed. This can free very substantial amounts of disk space.

Regards!

...JRF...
Advisor
Shawn Zehnder
Message 3 of 6 (296 Views)

Understood. We've always used the method I stated above. I really don't want to stray from that method since it has worked well in the past. I would like to know if that directory is similar to the save directory and if it would be safe to tar and remove its contents. Thanks for your quick reply.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 4 of 6 (296 Views)

Hi (again) Shawn:

The '/var/adm/sw/save_custom' directory is used for patches that require special installation procedures beyond merely copying the rollback information into '/var/adm/sw/save'.

Hence, yes, it would be safe to move the contents to its own mountpoint just as you have with '/var/adm/sw/save'.

Regards!

...JRF...
Advisor
Shawn Zehnder
Message 5 of 6 (296 Views)

Thanks! I appreciate your help. Points will be assigned.
Advisor
Shawn Zehnder
Message 6 of 6 (296 Views)

James provided the answer above.

Thanks, Shawn
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.