Re: put multiple patch into single depot package (124 Views)
Advisor
Ian lee
Message 1 of 7 (124 Views)
Accepted Solution

put multiple patch into single depot package

Hi,I have downloaded some patches,if I apply them once a package,it will take my too many time,can anybody tell me how to put them into a package,and just apply one time.

thanks
david.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 2 of 7 (124 Views)

Re: put multiple patch into single depot package

Hi David:

To collect a series of patches into a depot the can be installed with a single reboot, simply download your patches into the /tmp directory; "un-shar" them and do:

# cd /tmp
# for X in PH*.htm
> do
> sh ${X}
> done

# PDIR=/tmp/patch_depot
# mkdir ${PDIR}
# for X in PH*.depot
> do
> swcopy -s ${PWD}/${X} \* @ ${PDIR}
> done

# swlist -s ${PDIR}

There is no need to register the depot with 'swreg'. This is done automatically by 'swcopy'. The 'swlist' allows you to preview the depot's contents. Remember, of course, that you can also run 'swinstall' in preview mode to take it through its analysis phase, too.

The 'swcopy' syntax shown above can be ammended to specify '-x enforce_dependencies=false'. This forces 'swcopy' to ignore dependency verification deferring that until the actual 'swinstall' analysis phase. This is useful when you do not want to download dependency patches that you know you already have on your server.

Regards!

...JRF...
Honored Contributor
RAC_1
Message 3 of 7 (124 Views)

I assume you have unshared the depots.

for i in PH*.depot
do
swcopy -s ${PWD}/$i @ /tmp/patches
done.

this will create the depot of all patches at /tmp/patches.

swlist -l depot @ /tmp/patches.

There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Honored Contributor
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Message 4 of 7 (124 Views)

Hi David,

First you will need to unshar the patches. Copy them all to a single directory.

#mkdir /tmp/patches
#mv PH* /tmp/patches
#cd /tmp/patches
for i in $(ls PH*)
do
sh $i
done

You will see the patches with .depot extension now. Then use swcopy to copy them all to a single depot.

#PATCHDEPOT=/tmp/patches/depot
#mkdir $PATCHDEPOT

for i in PH*.depot
do
swcopy -s $i\* @ $PATCHDEPOT
done

This will create a patch depot. Do

swlist -l depot

It should list out /tmp/patches/depot as a depot.

Now you can select the whole depot and install the patches in one shot.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Honored Contributor
T G Manikandan
Message 5 of 7 (124 Views)

David,

Recent changes in the ITRC patch download page have made easier in downloading multiple patches into a single tar file or a gzip file.

1.enter the patch number
2.the patch description page is opened--This page has a button on the top like "add to the selected patch list"
If you click ,it will add that patch
3.Again you can repeat the same 1,2 steps to include the patches into the selected list.

And then download them into a single archive.

Then you can ftp that to the unix machine and run the ./create_depot for the creation of depot for those patches.

check it out.

Thanks
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 6 of 7 (124 Views)

Hi (again) David:

Changes to the ITRC Patch database during the last 6 months have made this process even easier. The fastest way to deal with a patch and its dependencies is to select the patch and *all* its dependencies from the ITRC patch database.

Simply select the patch(es) you want, and add them to the "cart". The dependencies will be automatically selected and included in the "shopping list". You may elect to add more recent versions of the depenendent patches too. During installation, the most recent will supercede the less recent. When you are done collecting the patches, download them as a bundle. A 'gzip' file is ideal.

Once on your server, uncompress the 'gzip' file in the /tmp directory:

# gzip -d filename.tar.gz

Next extract the 'tar' file:

# tar xvf filename.tar

This will yield a 'README" file with more instructions and a file named 'create_depot_hp-ux_VV' where VV is the OS version. By executing the 'create_depot_hp-ux_VV' file, the selected patches will be un-shared and copied into a software depot (via 'swcopy'). At that point the depot ('/tmp/depot') is ready for use by 'swinstall'. Since the patches are collected into a bundle for installation, *only one* reboot is necessary regardless of the number of patches requiring this action.

Regards!

...JRF...
Advisor
Ian lee
Message 7 of 7 (124 Views)

Hi all,thanks reply.My problem solved with your solutions,thanks.

david
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.