Re: [newbie] - depot definition (6 Views)
Occasional Contributor
petre
Message 1 of 4 (6 Views)

[newbie] - depot definition

in thread http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=507213

there is listed a method to install patches

ok, now the question: a depot is a directory with patches (that is what I got after running the downloaded script), or on that directory I should use a command (like swcopy or something) to obtain a file which I can install with

swinstall -x autoreboot=true -x reinsall=false -s /full_path_of_depot \*

I guess my question could be translated into: what am I going to do with all those downloaded patches, what is the next (and hopefully the last) step ?

my hp-ux level is below newbie ;)

thanks,

petre
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Message 2 of 4 (6 Views)

Re: [newbie] - depot definition

Hi Petre,

What you got are individual depots for each patch.

Assume you have all these patch downloads under the directory /tmp/patches. Do

#cd /tmp/patches
#sh PH*

You should see two files created for each patch. One with .depot and the other .txt. .depot is the depot for that patch. Then you merge them into one single depot so that you can install all patches in one shot. Tp do so, run the following script

## for DEPOT in $(ls *.depot)
do
swcopy -s $DEPOT \* @ /tmp/patches/patchdepot
done
#swreg -l depot /tmp/patches/patchdepot

Now you should be able to use the swinstall command pointing the depot path to /tmp/patches/patchedepot.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Message 3 of 4 (6 Views)

A small correction.. in case if the above commands give out any error that the 'host is not found' etc., then replace the line

swcopy -s $DEPOT \* @ /tmp/patches/patchdepot

with

swcopy -s /tmp/patches/$DEPOT \* @/tmp/patches/patchdepot

We need to use full path so that swcopy won't interpret it as a host.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 4 of 4 (6 Views)

Once you've created a depot and installed the pacthes, you can unregister the depot (swreg -u ...) and remove the depot directory as well as the temp files (the shar file and the unpacked .depot and readme files. When swinstall runs, it automatically makes a copy of the old files that are being replaced in the system, then updates the affected files and logs the actions. You can remove a patch and swremove will restore the old files. There is no need to keep the downloaded, unpacked patches. The depot can be removed if you don't plan on applying these patches to other machines on your network.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation