SWINSTALL Help Needed (573 Views)
Frequent Advisor
glennes
Message 1 of 8 (573 Views)
Accepted Solution

SWINSTALL Help Needed

[ Edited ]

I have an HP 9000 K 370. I want to install software on it from the CD-ROM.

When I invoke swinstall, I get a message that the default source "var/spool/sw" does not exist and there are no other registered depots on the server. How do I create a depot path? SWINSTALL asks for the source depot type and defaults to "Network Directory/CDROM". 'Source Host Name' is HP9000K, which is correct. I cannot get ''Local CD ROM' to work as a choice for the 'Source Depot Type' since the CD ROM is not mounted and I do not know the command to mount it. I also do not know the 'Source Depot Path' nor how to create one if one does not exist. (I suppose it should exist or be created as /var/spool/sw, but, if that is correct, I do not know how to do that.

What I want to do is to install software on my CD. How do I get SWINSTALL set up to do this? How do I tell it where the source is (Local CD ROM) and define a target for what I want to install? What is the process to get the system to be set up to install software from the CD and then to install it?

Thanks!

Glenn

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 9000 to HP-UX > patches. - Hp forum moderator

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 8 (566 Views)

Re: swinstall help needed

You need to mount your CD then you can simply do:

swlist -s /cdrom

swinstall -s /cdrom

See my reply to your previous topic:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-9000/No-Output-to-Console-on-HP-9000-K370/m-p/6487684#M42135

Frequent Advisor
glennes
Message 3 of 8 (559 Views)

I still cannot get the CDROM to mount.

I made the directory cdrom off the root and entered cd cdrom to go to that directory, then entered:

mount -r /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 /cdrom  (which is, according to the software docs, the name of the directory on the CD)

I still get the same message:

mount: /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 on /cdrom : Device busy

and when entering the command without the /cdrom at the end, I get the message

mount: /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 was either ignored or not found in /etc/fstab

What do I do to get past this? I think if I can get the CDROM to mount, I'll be home free!

Glenn

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 8 (502 Views)

[ Edited ]

>mount: /dev/dsk/c3t2d0 on /cdrom : Device busy

You need to make sure you didn't cd to /cdrom and are still in that directory.

Frequent Advisor
glennes
Message 5 of 8 (470 Views)

Not sure I understand "You need to make sure you didn't cd to /cdrom." Please explain.

Thanks!

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 6 of 8 (467 Views)

>Not sure I understand

If you are IN /cdrom, it will be busy when you try mounting on top of it.  A common mistake.

Frequent Advisor
glennes
Message 7 of 8 (459 Views)

Thanks!

Glenn

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 8 of 8 (445 Views)

>Thanks!

If you're happy with the answers, please click on the Kudos star for each helpful answer.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.