Re: SSH and patch install (67 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Alex R.
Message 1 of 3 (67 Views)

SSH and patch install

I am a novice UNIX user so I will try to explain the best I can. I am running 11.23 and have to patch it. My question is when I am SSH and enter the command swinstall I get the followin error:
NOTE: The interactive UI was invoked, since no software was
specified.

X connection to 137.102.151.202:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

But if I telnet I can run swinstall with no issues, so this seems to be related to an SSH issue?
Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 2 of 3 (67 Views)

Re: SSH and patch install

Sort of.

Your SSH connection has X forwarding enabled, but the X server at your local workstation could not draw the GUI windows to your screen, so the X connection was broken.

You should either make sure your workstation is running a working X server (e.g. a commercial ReflectionX or free Xming) before making the SSH connection, or disable SSH forwarding in your SSH client when you don't have an X server running.

As a work-around, if you have accidentally connected with X forwarding enabled, simply run "unset DISPLAY" to tell the system your current session doesn't have X GUI capability after all. When you do this, tools like swinstall and sam will automatically fall back to text-based menu interface.

MK
MK
Occasional Visitor
Alex R.
Message 3 of 3 (67 Views)

Re: SSH and patch install

thx Matti. That is a work around, what is strange was that is worked yesterday on another system that I applied a patch to and I was using the same SSH client.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.