Problem with Patch Installation and Software Depot Creation (347 Views)
Frequent Advisor
glennes
Message 1 of 3 (347 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem with Patch Installation and Software Depot Creation

[ Edited ]

I am trying to install the Y2K patches (as well as other patches) to my HPUX 10.20 system. The readme on the CD states to mount the CD to /cdrom, which I have done.

The next step is:

#   /usr/sbin/swinstall -x autoreboot=true -x match_target=true \ -s /cdrom/Y2K1020S800.tar

When I execute this line, the system responds with:

There is currently no depot software on host "HP9000K" at location "/var/spool/sw".cd

Source connection failed for "HP9000K:/var/spool/sw".

The directory /var/spool/sw does exist on the system as I can see it with the ls command, and /var/spool/sw has no contents. Evidently its existence alone does not make it a software depot.

I continue to get this error about a software depot not existing on my system whenever I try to install any patches. I do not know how to create a software depot or how to use it or point to it when trying to install patches.

How do I set up the system with a software depot these patches can use for installation so that the swinstall command line above will run and install the patches after successfully mounting the CD?

Glenn

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 9000 to HP-UX > patches. -HP Forum Moderator

Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 2 of 3 (315 Views)

Re: Problem with Patch Installation and Software Depot Creation

To install all software in a depot via the command line, the syntax is:

# swinstall -x autoreboot=true -s /path/to/depot \*

In your case try:

# /usr/sbin/swinstall -x autoreboot=true -x match_target=true -s /cdrom/Y2K1020S800.tar \*

The '\*' tells swinstall to install all files in the depot.

Frequent Advisor
glennes
Message 3 of 3 (304 Views)

Re: Problem with Patch Installation and Software Depot Creation

Patrick...

Amazing how simple your solution was! All I needed to do was to add the \* to the end of the command line I had been using all along. Having done that, the swinstall command works just fine.

Many thanks!

Glenn

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.