Re: Patching and Oracle. (37 Views)
Honored Contributor
Dave Hutton
Message 1 of 10 (37 Views)
Accepted Solution

Patching and Oracle.

Hi all,

I am in the process of getting my servers up to date with the latest Gold packs along with doing patch assessments. My questions are:

What precautions do you take prior to patching?
(Do you swlist to a file prior so you know which patches you had prior?)

Besides looking at the log file which tends to be somewhat muddy when you’ve applied 50-150 patches. Is there a way to look at which patches were applied after the fact? (kind of goes to swlisting prior)

Do you relink Oracle after patching?
Looking at all the patches. It’s hard to tell if there’s really something there that could cause issues. For example something changed after patching where now I’m getting dld.sl can not find library type errors. I’m guessing it’s because a lib file was updated and now some specific oracle processes aren’t starting correctly.

Any other
Honored Contributor
Eric Antunes
Message 2 of 10 (37 Views)

Re: Patching and Oracle.

Hi Dave,

R1: make a full OS backup with Ignite to a tape before applying any patch (specially PHKL patches)

R2: all applied patches are saved to /var/adm/sw/save. I recommend you to apply the patches by bundles downloading them from ITRC: this allow you to analyse each patch individually (reading Special Instructions, Warnings, ...)

R3: if you have a Test environment, apply patches here first and test all the Oracle apps & bd after patches

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Honored Contributor
Eric Antunes
Message 3 of 10 (37 Views)

Dave,

You can always try to relink Oracle libraries to see if it solves your issue. What is the exact error you get?

Eric
Honored Contributor
Dave Hutton
Message 4 of 10 (37 Views)

Eric, it's more of a generic question. Is it typical practice to just relink after doing a large amount of patches "Just in case"? Is it even a good practice? The place I was at prior to here, that was common place.

One of the servers I'm doing tomorrow has 122 out of the 300+ patches for the Goldpatch/HWEnablement patches selected to go. Not to mention the 77 patches patches that I pulled down from the cpm patch assessment. What are the chances that close to 200 patches it will muck something up?

Now I have 27 servers, trying to keep this as simple as possible.

We do have test/dev servers, some of my issues are the hardware platforms are in some cases not the same. Even the OS can be different. 11.0 versions 11.11. So short of reading all the patch notes for all the patches. (And really how will I know if the patch that updates /usr/lib/libxti.2 is going to break something?) I agree, patching test/dev should shake some of these loose though.

*remind me not to cut and paste from word. the squares should be '.

Valued Contributor
Rajeev Tyagi
Message 5 of 10 (37 Views)

Dave,

Before installing gold packs
#swlist -l fileset -a state | grep -v configured

Take ignite backup.

Open a telnet session to your system and issue shutdown command without any option to bring in single user mode ( It will make sure that all applications are down during patch installation) and you can have two sessions one on console and one on telnet window. Install patches through telnet session.

After patch installation is successful, Verify your patches with

#swlist -l fileset -a state

All patches should be in configured state. After that you should relink oracle with
"relink all".

Valued Contributor
Rajeev Tyagi
Message 6 of 10 (37 Views)

Forgot to mention.. your databases should be down during relink.
Honored Contributor
Eric Antunes
Message 7 of 10 (37 Views)

Hi Dave,

In this case you should have a different time frame to patch each OS version group of servers...

Personaly, I never got a patch issue on Production environment simply because of this "Patch & Test before Production" strategy: I strongly recommend it!
Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor
Dave Hutton
Message 8 of 10 (37 Views)

Thank you both for your opinions and suggestions.

I want to go back to management with sugesting to relink after doing patching. I wasn't aware if Oracle recommends this practice.

It seems like you can be as safe as possible, and reassue everyone that what your applying shouldn't break anything. But at the same time, theres always finger pointing and that "Guilty until proven innocent" feeling anytime you make so many OS level changes. I'm still investigating the dld.sl issue. Looking at the old rc.log it didn't have problems until after I patched. This stemmed from another issue where it turned out a specific oracle process didn't start, which they started by hand by fine. But of course, my patches were under the spot light.

Thanks again

Honored Contributor
Eric Antunes
Message 9 of 10 (37 Views)

There's a lot of threads here and in Metalink about those dld.sl issues. If you give me more details, I can help you find the exact cause on next Monday (I'm leaving the office now...).

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor
Dave Hutton
Message 10 of 10 (37 Views)

Eric, I did kind of go through the dld.sl itrc messages. Looks like a very generic message for the most part. I don't have access to Metalink, so I'll leave that in the DBA's hands.

Actually this is what I was looking for also of a way to see what patches afterwards were installed. Looks like I can do this:
hainan:root /root # swlist -a mod_date -a title | grep "Apr 7"
PHCO_28125 Thu Apr 7 14:02:05 CDT 2005 cumulative SAM/ObAM patch
PHCO_29288 Thu Apr 7 14:56:59 CDT 2005 locale library cumulative patch

Which shows me all the patches that were modified at the time I patched.

Thanks again, will follow up if anything turns up.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.