Re: Patches Installtion Error Please Help urgent. (158 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Zeshan_MZA
Message 1 of 4 (202 Views)

Patches Installtion Error Please Help urgent.

Dear Memembers,

I am new to HP-UX, currently in learning phase, i am trying to install Latest patches on one of the test server, some patches are also related to pre-requisits to Oracle 11gR2 installtion, i cannot continue to install oracle untill i install the patches please help. i am using following commands.

swinstall -x autoreboot=true -x patch_match_target=true -s /tmp/patches/PHSS_43207.depot

and

swinstall -s /full path/patches/patch.depot

my patches are in /tmp/patches directory.

Screen shots of errors are attached. please help

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 4 (183 Views)

Re: Patches Installation Error

(I assume you've heard that a picture is worth a 1000 words?

In this case your attached pictures aren't worth much.  We need a .txt file so we can cut & paste and search.)

I do see errors where one says out of space and another disk I/O errors.

There is also a warning where you can find more info.  And another that mentions swjob.

But unless I have a text file, the most I can do is handwave.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Zeshan_MZA
Message 3 of 4 (165 Views)

Re: Patches Installtion Error Please Help urgent.

i found the solution, / root is full 100%, that is why i cant install any patches. need to extend the root first, now looking for this solution.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 4 of 4 (158 Views)

Re: Patches Installtion Error Please Help urgent.

> i found the solution, / root is full 100%, that is why i cant install any patches. need to extend the root first, now looking for this solution.

Extending the root filesystem is tricky, because the root filesystem must be contiguous.

It is normal for the HP-UX root filesystem to be quite small. If the root filesystem becomes full, it is usually because something unnecessary has been placed there by mistake.

You might want to run:

# du -kx / | sort -rn |more

and then examine the largest directories listed. If you find something that should not be there, move it elsewhere or delete it, using your best judgement.

If someone has installed an application to the root filesystem, it might be possible to move the entire directory hierarchy of the application to some other filesystem and then symlink it back to the original location. In many cases, the application won't even notice any difference.

Often the easiest way to do it is to take an Ignite-UX backup of the entire vg00 and then restore it, because the restore process will allow you to adjust the sizes of the LVs before initiating the actual restore.

If you have MirrorDisk and OnlineJFS, there is also a tricky procedure that will allow you to extend the root filesystem without rebooting or otherwise interrupting service:

Assumptions: your vg00 is already mirrored, and your LVs follow the default HP-UX server layout and are located in numerical order on the disk. You have two PVs: let's call them PV A and PV B. On both disks, there is enough free space for the planned extension - but it is located at the end of the disk, not after lvol3 (the root filesystem).

1.) Unmirror lvol4 from PV A. Now one copy of lvol4 remains on PV B, and there is some free space located immediately after lvol3 on PV A. But you cannot extend lvol3 yet, because lvol3 must be contiguous and there is no matching free space on PV B.

2.) Unmirror lvol3 from PV B. (This leaves a lvol3-sized block of free space on PV B, but we ignore that for a moment.)

3.) Extend lvol3 with lvextend -L and fsadm -b, just like any other on-line LV extension. The maximum new size of lvol3 is the sum of original sizes of lvol3+lvol4, but you can extend less than that if you want.

4.) Mirror lvol4 back to PV A. Now the extended lvol3 occupies (part of) lvol4's original location, so (parts of) it will go to the free space at the end of the disk. Because lvol4 does not need to be contiguous, this is not a problem.

5.) Unmirror lvol4 from PV B. Now there is a block of free space on PV B between lvol2 and lvol5 that can take the new expanded lvol3.

6.) Mirror lvol3 to PV B. It will take the first available free extents on PV B, so it will be mirrored to the free space right after lvol2, just as the root filesystem is supposed to be.

7.) Mirror lvol4 back to PV B. Now all your LVs are mirrored again.

MK
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation