01-09-2006 12:47 AM
I am trying to install oracle 10g on my HP-UX box, its asking for various patches to be installed.
Can anyone please hlep me with the following queries.
(1) From where can i download patches for HP-UX
(2) How can i check if the required patch is already on the system or needs to be installed or superseeded?
(3) What are possible dangers of installing a patch? I mean our server is live so could it hang?crash?
Thanks in advance.
01-09-2006 01:01 AM
1) You can download patches by going to the patch database. Click on "Maintenance and support for hp products" on the left side of this page, then click on "patch/firmware database". You can then search for an individual patch by name or select "hp-ux" to do a keyword search.
2) Use swlist to check the patches on your system:
swlist -l product |grep "PH"
will list all the patches.
3) Generally, HP patches are quite safe, but many of them require a re-boot. It is also a good idea to install them when the system is not heavily used.
01-09-2006 01:02 AM
(1) You can download patches from the link below. I would chose the standard patch bundles as these represent the most well-tested sets. Read the links on the Patch Database home page for a better understanding.
(2) To find if a patch is installed do (either):
# swlist -l patch PHxx_nnnn
(3) Using the recommended patch if several versions are available is your best choice. With any patch, before you apply it, *read* the NOTES that accompany it. These are available by clicking on the patch link on the ITRC Patch Database before you even download the patch.