Re: Installing CDE for HP v3 (598 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Angelina Moralez
Message 1 of 11 (600 Views)

Installing CDE for HP v3

Hello all,

I have installed HP 11v3 however I couldn't get connected through X11, after having done a research on this forum, I realized that I need to install CDE from DVD. However the server I am responsible from is on a remote site. I can only telnet to that server. I have uploaded the files however I don't know how to install them :( Plus CDE-English folder (and the other language folders) on first DVD is empty. So I have uploded the files under CDE folder (CDE-DTTERM, CDE-Run, etc..) . Can you please help me?

Truly yours,
Angelina
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 11 (600 Views)

Re: Installing CDE for HP v3

>So I have uploded the files under CDE directory

How did you do that? Did you use swcopy?
Basically you swcopy the files off the DVD, then you can tar/rcp/scp/ftp the directory trees. Then you use swinstall on the copy.

If you think you have the files there, you can try swlist.
Occasional Visitor
Angelina Moralez
Message 3 of 11 (600 Views)

Hi Dennis,

I have copied the related files from DVD to a windows PC, then FTPed to the server. When I do swinstall, I can't find anything, maybe copying error? Being CDE-English folder empty in my DVD does it mean I have a corrupted DVD? Is there any other way to find installation files for CDE? I appreciate your answer.

Thank you
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 11 (600 Views)

>the server I am responsible from is on a remote site.

You should have a local HP-UX server to fiddle with. It is better if you use that and swcopy to collect the files you need.

>I have copied the related files from DVD to a windows PC

How do you know what's related? Did you copy the "catalog" directory tree?
Occasional Visitor
Angelina Moralez
Message 5 of 11 (600 Views)

The only way I can access the servers is from a telnet session, the servers are not even in the same country.

You are right the best way is copy them from a DVD drive however I don't have that chance to do it and I didn't copy the files under Catalog. What exactly I should do? Giving the fact that I have no other choice to install them but from hard drive.

It would be good to download all the necessary files from net and just ftp them to the server, do you have any idea?

Thanks again..
Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 6 of 11 (600 Views)

Just like a PC, you can't just copy some files off the DVD -- the application requires creation of several directories and configuration that comes with the DVD package. You need to run swinstall pointing to the DVD. If you have a local system that is visible to the remote system, you can create a depot and then use swinstall on the remote system, pointing to the local system's depot.

If the remote system is restricted, you can use swcopy on a local HP-UX system to create a depot for just CDE, then use tar to create a single file and ftp that file to the remote system. That depot can then be used by the remote system to load CDE.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 7 of 11 (600 Views)

[ Edited ]

>The only way I can access the servers is from a telnet session,

(I also assume you can ftp/scp to it.)
Not "the" servers but just some other HP-UX server. I.e. you can't support HP-UX unless you have a HP-UX server you can touch.

See Bill's reply why using swcopy is easier.

>I didn't copy the files under catalog. What exactly I should do?

As I mentioned above, you need the catalog tree.
(Please provide the directory listing for your DVD if you can't find the directory called catalog.)

>It would be good to download all the necessary files from net and just ftp them to the server

If you want to pay for it, there is electronic delivery for DVDs.

Oh, you could create an ISO image of your DVD and then copy that to your server, then mount the image.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/How-to-get-the-latest-version-of-hpux-B-11-31-in-...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/How-to-mount-ISO-image-file-on-11-31-Release-45-S...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/How-to-install-the-OS-HP-UX-11i-v3-on-HP-integrit...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/Create-ISO-image-on-Windows-to-be-readable-on-HPUX/m-p/4623145#...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/Mount-ISO-image-on-Itanium-HP-UX-11-31/m-p/4035552#M130325

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/How-to-mount-ISO-image-on-HP-UX-11-31/m-p/4056367...

Valued Contributor
RickT_1
Message 8 of 11 (600 Views)

If you access to the ILO. You can mount your local DVD drive as a remote DVD and mount it through the network.

Rick
Occasional Visitor
Angelina Moralez
Message 9 of 11 (600 Views)

Thanks so much for your willingness to help, I appreciate it a lot. I will try your recommendations and post the results back to here.

Take care,
Angelina
Occasional Visitor
Angelina Moralez
Message 10 of 11 (600 Views)

Thank you all, CDE problem is now resolved. Steps I took to solve it;

1) Put the DVD into a local server, I did swcopy for CDE-English package, so that it automatically chose dependent packages.

2) I used tar cvf to compress the fileset.

3) I ftp'ed it to my local computer.

4) I have transferred it to the remote server.

5) I used tar xvf to decompress.

6) I used swinstall -s (installation directory)

7) In the installation menu I chose CDE-English and after analyzing it was good to go.

8) I enabled CDE

/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e

9) I started CDE

/sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc start

10) I had to reboot the server to be able to connect using Exceed.

Thanks for your ideas ;)

Angelina
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 11 of 11 (598 Views)

[ Edited ]

>2) I used tar cvf to compress the fileset.

Ideally you should be using swpackage instead of tar. And on the other side, you can just use that tape depot directly.
swpackage -x target_type=tape -s /path-to-depot @ tape.depot

>Thank you all

If you are happy with the answers you were given, please read the following on how to assign points:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/kudos#kudos

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.