Important News on Patch Access (120 Views)
Honored Contributor
Duncan Edmonstone
Message 1 of 29 (120 Views)

Important News on Patch Access

For those that haven't noticed, on the front page of the ITRC:

http://itrc.hp.com

Is the message:

-----------------------

Important note: As of September 18 (or shortly thereafter), HP will institute a change in the way that Patch services are accessed. Beginning at that time, Patch access will be through the ITRC support portal. You need to have a valid ITRC user ID and password and will now also need an active HP support agreement that includes Software Updates linked to your ITRC profile to access Patch content and services. We urge you to review your current support coverage now to ensure you have valid coverage and can maintain uninterrupted access to Patch. To obtain support coverage, please contact your local HP office or representative or visit http://www.hp.com/go/contacthp access HP via Chat or phone. For more information, please read the FAQs at this link.

-----------------------

Key point here is, if you don't have an _active_ Support Contract with Software Update linked to your ITRC ID, you will lose access to HP-UX patches.

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
Honored Contributor
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Message 2 of 29 (120 Views)

Re: Important News on Patch Access

hi Duncan,

thnx for this information,

i don't noticed this information, bacause :

i have all HP servers and contract linked to my profile, but mostly i'm using direct ftp download page form ITRC :

ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/*UX/

ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/hp-ux_patches/

hopefully it will be not disabled.

mikap

Honored Contributor
Laurent Menase
Message 3 of 29 (120 Views)

FAQ is available at:
http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docId=emr_na-c02476621

ftp servers will apparantly remain only for a short time.
Honored Contributor
Rob Leadbeater
Message 4 of 29 (120 Views)

The ongoing thread regarding this in the OpenVMS forum has already raised quite a few concerns:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1444293

Cheers,

Rob
Honored Contributor
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Message 5 of 29 (120 Views)

Thank you, I did not notice this message,
it is quiet important for people who has lots of HP-UX customers like me
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 6 of 29 (120 Views)

A VERY VERY BAD decision, in my opinion.

Even if you use SWA, you will STILL require a active support contract.

>>but mostly i'm using direct ftp download page form ITRC

That will go away as well. Have a look at this section of the FAQ for info on FTP:
http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docId=emr_na-c02476621&docLocale=en&admit=1094476...

Honored Contributor
Asif Sharif
Message 7 of 29 (120 Views)

Hi Patrick,

I do agree with you its really a bad decision. Although we have all active support contracts but it will impact on HP business.

Regards,
Asif Sharif
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 8 of 29 (120 Views)

Hi Duncan:

Thanks for the heads-up. According to the FAQ, "A new version of SWA has been released which requires entitlement. Existing SWA versions prior to C.02.75 will no longer function and must be upgraded."

The software depot currently only offers C.02.50. Where is C.02.75 and/or when will it be available?

Regards!

...JRF...
Exalted Contributor
Steven E. Protter
Message 9 of 29 (120 Views)

Shalom,

What this means:
1) HP is putting itself a a further competitive disadvantage versus Linux, which has a means of obtaining patches without additional payment (Use of distributions like CentOS instead of RHEL for example.)

2) It will make it more difficult for people to practice the critical skill of patch management on systems out of data center. While in career transition in 2009, I was able to patch and play, maintaining my skill set and learning new skills. Apparently, since there is no way individuals to access patches, these people are left out in the cold.

3)HP is looking to raise revenue by following "industry practices" that are in line with this policy.

My comment on the above policy is that it is sad. I wonder if the increased support revenue will offset the revenue lost as customers go to other OS's.

SEP

Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 10 of 29 (120 Views)

At JRF -- Probably "As of September 18 (or shortly thereafter)..."
Honored Contributor
Denver Osborn
Message 11 of 29 (119 Views)

This sucks and could make it difficult to maintain a custom patch bundle. Thanks HP.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 12 of 29 (119 Views)

Hi (again):

@ Patrick: At JRF -- Probably "As of September 18 (or shortly thereafter)..."

I read that as on or after September 18, we will need an active support agreement. My question remains, according to the FAQ, SWA version C.02.75 will be required. Hence, where is that version and when will it be available? I'm sure there are a number of folks who would like to be proactive and update their SWA before they go to use it.

Regards!

...JRF...
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 13 of 29 (119 Views)

Jim,

I agree with you! I read it all the same way. And I agree that it would be nice to be able to update things and test them ahead of time.

I hope HP releases the correct version of SWA beforehand, but I'm not holding my breath.
Honored Contributor
Bob E Campbell
Message 14 of 29 (119 Views)

Version C.02.75 of SWA will be released after the ITRC changes are put into place. We expect a delay of a day or two. C.02.75 will not work with the current ITRC.
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 15 of 29 (119 Views)

No offense intended Bob, but that seems kind of short-sighted.

I could go into a rant about customer server, or the lack thereof, but I won't. I'm just severely disappointed that HP would do something like this.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 16 of 29 (119 Views)

Hi (again):

> Bob: Version C.02.75 of SWA will be released after the ITRC changes are put into place. We expect a delay of a day or two. C.02.75 will not work with the current ITRC.

I think it would be very appropriate to include that information in the FAQ.

I am assuming, too, (a bad thing) that current versions of SWA (pre C.02.75) will continue to work for some grace period after the targeted September ITRC changes. Is that correct?

Regards!

...JRF...
Honored Contributor
Bob E Campbell
Message 17 of 29 (119 Views)

Sorry for the FAQ wording, I will ask that be modified.

Version C.02.75 is not being built to be dual-mode and would not be useful if pre-released. The delay is in part my method to verify that the new ITRC is in place.

The ITRC changes are not limited to SWA or even HP-UX. I can only promise that helping everyone through this transition is our primary focus.
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 18 of 29 (119 Views)

>>I can only promise that helping everyone through this transition is our primary focus.

How about actually helping the customer even more by not doing this transition at all?
Trusted Contributor
S. Ney
Message 19 of 29 (119 Views)

A very bad decision by HP. I have several support contracts however software update manager does not give me the option to download all components I am entitled to.
For example I have two 11v3 systems but I do not have the option to download update releases (even though documentation says it should be available) I also do not get updated releases on other products available with the DCOE license. I can imagine the same kind of scenario when trying to update my servers with the latest patch bundles.

I can easily see falling behind in patches due to administrative red tape.
Honored Contributor
Bob E Campbell
Message 20 of 29 (120 Views)

I wanted to pop this back up for those on vacation in August and to ask that anyone with technical issues on the transition open some new threads.
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
cnb
Message 21 of 29 (120 Views)

@Bob:

Will this affect access to Firmware files and patches that install Firmware?

Or will they be ported over to the BSC?

Rgds,

-cnb
Occasional Advisor
ESCDEMO
Message 22 of 29 (120 Views)

> Will this affect access to Firmware
> files and patches that install Firmware?

> Or will they be ported over to the BSC?

Firmware files are available in different formats from the hp.com web site. HP will not provide future firmware updates as HP-UX patches, but older platforms will have files at hp.com with firmware updates.

Receiving firmware alerts
-------------------------
To automatically receive email notices for the latest firmware updates, sign up for Driver, Patch, Security and Support alerts:

1. Go to http://www.hp.com/go/myhpalerts.
2. Follow the instructions to register each of your products.

Regards, Greg Ivans (HP-UX HWE Prg. Mgr.)
Honored Contributor
Bob E Campbell
Message 23 of 29 (120 Views)

I will ask that the firmware information be added to the FAQ. I have also asked Greg to get a real ITRC account for next time ;-)
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
cnb
Message 24 of 29 (120 Views)

Thank you Greg and Bob!

Rgds,

-cnb
Honored Contributor
Bob E Campbell
Message 25 of 29 (120 Views)

Important update!

The changes planned for this weekend are to be delayed. My understanding is that this delay will be at least one week. Watch the ITRC main page and FAQ for the official information.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.