Re: How to install patches on HP-UX (4000 Views)
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 1 of 14 (4,000 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to install patches on HP-UX

Hi HP’s guru!
My server went shutdown last night. I checked log and contact to HP support. They said the reason is system error on kernel level and I have to install cumulative patch PHKL_40942 because my SAS’s driver is old.
I never installed patch on HP-UX. Is this procedure same as Windows OS? Could I delete patch if something will wrong with my OS? I read this article http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/addToCart.do and found out that there are many dependencies’ patches. Should I install all of them? Where I can directly download patch PHKL_41355 for HP-UX 11.3?
Should I install patch like this? installation instructions for 11.31.1009: https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayInstallInfo.do?productNumber=SerialSCSI-00

I checked my OS patch list
# swlist –l fileset –a patch_state *,c=patch
and determined that there is no patch PHKL_40942

Regards,
Rustam
Super Advisor
ani007
Message 2 of 14 (4,000 Views)

Re: How to install patches on HP-UX

Hi
please use below link

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releaseIndexPage.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main%7Cpatch.breadcru...
you must have login to this site register for it and go ahead.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayInstallInfo.do?productNumber=SerialSCSI-00
yes ...
#swinstall will install the patch , but before this fire swinstall in previewmode (-p) sothat you can do the patch analysis.
Trusted Contributor
singh sanjeev
Message 3 of 14 (4,000 Views)

Yes you have to mark the dependencies patches also for installations.

download ii. when you untar and unzip it on the system. you will find a script to create a deppot. run it it will create a patch depot on the system.
to run swinstall in preview mode :
#swinstall -p
check everything went fine in preview mode.
the...
#swinstall -s

As this is kernal patch ..system will be rebooted.
Sanjeev Singh
Acclaimed Contributor
Torsten.
Message 4 of 14 (4,000 Views)

Best practice is IMHO to use SWA (software assistant) to update patches and also install the latest patch bundles.
If there are dependencies, you need them.

Once you have the depot downloaded (note there are different delivery formats - read the instructions!), install them by using the

# swinstall -s /path/to/depot

command.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Honored Contributor
Wim Rombauts
Message 5 of 14 (4,000 Views)

What I would do :

- Go to "Patch Database" (under "Downloads")
- Enter "PHKL_40942" in the search files of "find a specific patch"
- The search results will show you PHKL_40942, which has a critical warning, so DO NOT INSTALL THAT PATH ! There is a good more recent one : PHKL_41355.
- Select patch PHKL_41355 and clock on "add to selected patch list".
- Now you get a list with your selected patch, and all dependencies that you MUST install. Do NOT unselect any patch ! I presume you don't need any other patches, so click on "download selected" on the bottom of the page.
- For the download format, I always select a gzip package. Download it, and set the file on your system.

Next steps are for you, and depend more on what you like then what you have to do.

What do I do : Create a directory under /var/tmp and move the downloaded file to this location.
- gzip this file
- untar this file
- edit the "create_depot..." script and give a shortname "without spaces) for these patches with variable BUNDLE, and a long name in double-quotes with variable TITLE. This step is fully optional.
- run script create_depot...

Now you have an installable depot on your system.

- run swinstall, select /var/tmp//depot as the source, select the bundle you just created and click on Actions->Install. The rest is easy.

Probably, your system will have to reboot after installing the patches, but the GUI will tell you everything. It's just that you better stop all end-user aplications before beginning swinstall.
Honored Contributor
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Message 6 of 14 (4,000 Views)

Hi,

when you go to the patch directory of HP, there is good recommendation for patch install ; go to Installation instructions, you have to download patch:
# sh PATCH
it makes depot
then
# swinstall -x autoreboot=true -x patch_match_target=true \
-s /tmp/PATCH.depot
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 7 of 14 (4,000 Views)

Hi all and thanks for all your advices.

Wim Rombauts,
I suggestion looks very easy and suitable for me.
>> The search results will show you >>PHKL_40942, which has a critical warning, >>so DO NOT INSTALL THAT PATH ! There is a >>good more recent one : PHKL_41355.
>>I download like this. I brought part of >>screen from downloaded page

2.I downloaded all depots (including dependencies) hpux__11.31_10220803.gzip and I opened this tar file. There are 39 files.
3.I put it in /tmp/depots/40942
4.The hpux__11.31_10220803.gzip has file create_depot_hpux.11.31. Should I rename this file? for example to create_depot_first?
5.Imagine, I have untarâ ed or unzzipâ ed and have script file create_depot_first. Should I just run
# ./create_depot_ first ?
6.After step number 4 I must run this command?
# swinstall /tmp/depots/40942/ create_depot_ first or itâ s worng?
7.Could I delete all those depots if after installing my OS will have problem?

Regards,
Rustam
Honored Contributor
Wim Rombauts
Message 8 of 14 (4,000 Views)

rustam,

There is no need to rename the script. Just run it as it is. However, I advise you to set your own values vor BUNDLE and TITLE in this script, because it are these values that you will later see when you run swlist on your server. But the script will just run fine without customizing these values.

After the software is installed with swinstall, you can remove the download and the depot. You will never need it again, unless you have other servers where these patches may be usefull.
Honored Contributor
Wim Rombauts
Message 9 of 14 (4,000 Views)

I missed your question in 6).

I always just run "swinstall". It will open a pop-up window where you can enter the path to your depot. (Your depot will not be in de depot drop-down list, because you never used it before)
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 10 of 14 (4,000 Views)

Wim Rombauts,

>>However, I advise you to set your own >>values vor BUNDLE and TITLE in this >>script, because it are these values that >>you will later see when you run swlist on >>your server.

What does it mean? What should I do? Where should I set values for BUNDLE?
Honored Contributor
Wim Rombauts
Message 11 of 14 (3,988 Views)

Edit file create_depot_hpux.11.31
Look at lines 37 and 38 (or somewhere near)

Just set new values on the right-side of the equal-sign. Save it and run.
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 12 of 14 (3,988 Views)

Wim Rombauts,

There are a lot values for BUNDLE and TITLE. At line 37 and 38 are these values:

31 typeset -i INTERACTIVE=0
32 typeset -i SKIP_DEPOT=0
33 UNSHAR=y
35 DEPOT=$PWD/depot
36 BUNDLE=BUNDLE
37 TITLE="Patch Bundle"
40 Temporary values

Should i change these values to>:
35 DEPOT=$PWD/depot
36 BUNDLE=40942
37 TITLE="40942"

Regards,
Rustam
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 13 of 14 (3,988 Views)

>Is this procedure same as Windows OS? Could I delete patch if something will wrong with my OS?

Of course not. ;-)
Yes, you can use swremove.

>What does it mean? What should I do? Where should I set values for BUNDLE?

>Wim: Edit file create_depot_hpux.11.31
Look at lines 37 and 38 (or somewhere near)

Before you start editing the script, you should look at the command options. There are several that you can change.

>Wim: I always just run "swinstall". It will open a pop-up window where you can enter the path to your depot.

You can also provide that depot on the command line.
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 14 of 14 (3,988 Views)

Thanks for all of you. i could install patch. I did following steps:
1. Download *.zip file
2. Moved to server and unziped. There were a lot patch sets and one script for creating bundle (create_depot_hpux.11.31)
3. opened unziped folder and runs command:
# su create_depot_hpux.11.31
which created many depots for each patch.
4. sam-> software management-> Install Software-> choose catalog where are my depots and then ok.
5. after installation server rebooted and all services and softwares are running correctly, yet.

Thanks and regards,
Rustam
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.