Re: HPUX Patch Assessment (425 Views)
Occasional Advisor
David Santoro_1
Message 1 of 7 (425 Views)

HPUX Patch Assessment

We have many HP 9000 servers (yes old) running HPUX 11.23
We recently performed a patch assessment using the script swainv
“A patch assessment provides a list of patch issues associated with the given system and specific patch recommendations to resolve the issue. The types of issues analyzed is determined by the assessment profile.”
Installing the recommended patches from this patch analysis cause a system panic and the system needed to be rebuilt.
Further inspection of the patches received we noted that several patches were for Integrity systems – we do not have these systems
Why would a patch assessment for a PARISC HP 9000 system contain patches for other systems?
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
RickT_1
Message 2 of 7 (425 Views)

Re: HPUX Patch Assessment

Davsanto,

Not really sure why. I know the script can tell which type of system it's been run on. Maybe the software selection tool on the website isn't designed to differentiate between the two architectures. I know I have to eliminate all of the PA-Risc software when I download patches for my Itanium servers.

Rick
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 3 of 7 (425 Views)

Hi:

Some patches may apply to both architectures. A specific example of what you are seeing would be helpful.

That said, unless you would specifically override the 'swinstall' default actions, you would *not* see the installation of any patch that is not compatible with the hardware type.

Regards!

...JRF...
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 7 (425 Views)

>Further inspection of the patches received we noted that several patches were for Integrity systems
>Why would a patch assessment for a PA-RISC HP 9000 system contain patches for other systems?

What type of inspection did you do? Look at words or at software_spec?

It may be easier to let swinstall do the checking. And for some patches, this is deferred to the particular control script.

>Installing the recommended patches from this patch analysis cause a system panic

Have you talked to the Response Center about this? Did removing the Integrity only patches fix this?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
David Santoro_1
Message 5 of 7 (425 Views)

Solution found
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 6 of 7 (425 Views)

Hi (again):

> Solution found

Yes, so *what* was the solution?

...JRF...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bob E Campbell
Message 7 of 7 (425 Views)

Probably that the 1-line description of a patch might say it is only useful for Itanium but the product and patch still can be installed on an 11.11 PA-RISC box.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation