Re: Codewords (150 Views)
Advisor
Kurt Henning
Message 1 of 4 (150 Views)
Accepted Solution

Codewords

[ Edited ]

A previous thread suggested looking for codewords in the /var/adm/sw/.codewords file.

I checked the /var/adm/sw/.codewords files on two of our critical systems, but these file are empty on both systems.

I'd like to round up the code words for all products installed on these systems, since our collection of paperwork isn't as complete as it could be. If I need to recover a system and all I have are the yellow license certificates, that doesn't do me much good.

Is there a central location (other than /var/adm/sw/.codewords) where this information resides, or is it scattered all over the place depending on the product in question?

I'm mainly interested in the codewords for HP-UX 11, on-line JFS, and the ANSI C compiler. I already have the codeword info for some of the other products like OmniBack and Glance Plus.

P.S. this thread has been moved from HP-UX > General to HP-UX > patches - HP Forums Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 2 of 4 (150 Views)

Re: Codewords

If the /var/adm/sw/.codewords file is empty, I think you are pretty much out of luck. That is the location that codewords for the Application CDs are stored in. Keep in mind that when you get new application CDs, you will need new codewords because the codewords are different for each set of applications CDs.

I think the easiest thing for you to do is to request the latest set of applications CDs from HP and make sure you request the codewords for all of the software on all of your systems as well. That should get you everything you need.
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 3 of 4 (150 Views)

Hi Kurt:

/var/adm/sw/.codewords is the repository for the codewords for products that come from the Application CDROMs. This would include JFS, ANSI C, etc.

To my knowledge, the only time they are referenced is during the 'swinstall' process.

Since new codewords are required to unlock each new release of the Application CDROMs you could request a new CD set *and* request matching codewords for *all* products you license. You would then have an updated repository.

I believe that currently, if you request an Application CD set, codewords will be supplied only for updated products, so make sure that you specifically ask for *all* codewords for *all* products to which you are entitled.

...JRF...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Cheryl Griffin
Message 4 of 4 (150 Views)

In addition, Codewords can be obtained from 800-538-1733

or

online from: itrc.hp.com --> Maintenance & Support --> Under Download/Licensing -->Software Licensing (Codewords, Passwords, FAQ)
"Downtime is a Crime."
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation