Check to see if a product or app is installed (11 Views)
Super Advisor
john guardian
Message 1 of 4 (11 Views)

Check to see if a product or app is installed

What's the best cmd to use to verify if something like SNMP is installed? Would some form of swlist serve the purpose? If so, I'd use it to automate a script to test 30+ servers for the product so I know if it needs the latest patch.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Court Campbell
Message 2 of 4 (11 Views)

Re: Check to see if a product or app is installed

examples:

locally
# swlist -l product *SNMP*

remote host
# swlist -l product *SNMP* @hostname

this assumes that swacl is set properly on the remote servers
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
john guardian
Message 3 of 4 (11 Views)

Thanks. I figured that was all I needed.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Keith Buck
Message 4 of 4 (11 Views)

John,

A few comments:

1. HP doesn't actually recommend the latest patch. This is popular for other operating systems, and fine for a test environment. But HP releases patches with some initial testing, and then does more rigorous testing and gets customer input before changing the "star rating" of the patch. Just because a patch exists (for any OS) doesn't mean it will make your system better by applying it. You should have a reason to apply those patches.

2. I'd recommend using SWA for this task:
https://www.hp.com/go/swa

There is more than just grepping involved to find out if a patch is needed:
- are applicable filesets installed?
- is the patch or a superseding patch applied to all the filesets?

SWA will do all this for you, and recommend the best patch (using the CHAIN analyzer), or can do issue-based analysis and only warn when there is a security patch required, for example.

Hope that helps.

-Keith
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation