Re: Modify VMware Guest Boot Order? (135 Views)
Contributor
muebel
Message 1 of 2 (220 Views)

Modify VMware Guest Boot Order?

I am preparing to develop a flow that clones a VMware guest from a Template. One of the steps will be to ensure that the system is set to boot from the network because my intention is to run a build plan against the machine through Server Automation.

Once the build plan finishes I would need to change the boot order once again so that it will boot from the local disk by default.

I am working with the Virutalization 1.0.129 content pack, and although I find an operation "Edit VM Boot Options" it doesn't contain any mention of changing the VMs boot order, and I can't find any other operation that does.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to otherwise use OO to modify the boot order of a VM?

Occasional Contributor
jbagley2
Message 2 of 2 (135 Views)

Re: Modify VMware Guest Boot Order?

I'll add a "me to" here.  Sortof.

We deploy VM's using HP-SA more for testing than anything else, but also to populate our VM templates that are used to deploy VM's without HP-SA.

I found the default boot order to be sufficient to deploy an empty VM.  For a VM with an OS already installed, I wrote a subflow that captures the VM's disk drive information, removes the disk drive and adds a new one with the same parameters as the original.  It's not elegant, but it allows the VM to boot from lan using the default boot order.

Certainly, a flow step that can adjust the boot order of a VM would be a much better solution!

hope that helps!

-james

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.