monitor script (134 Views)
Super Advisor
Ragni Singh
Message 1 of 8 (134 Views)

monitor script

Hi All,

I am trying to write a monitor script that sends a opcmon message to openview. How can I do that. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is what I would like to do.

ps -ef | egrep '(processManager|fbam|fbdm|pcxsml|fb.*io|pcxrm|fbmoc|fbdbx)' | cut -c49-84 |grep -v egrep
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then

# FBHH processes are still running.
echo "\nFBHH processes are still running.\n"
exit 1

else

echo "\nFBHH successfully shutdown.\n"

fi
Once again, any help will be greatly appreciated. I want to put this in a script and be able to send a opcmon message to openview.
Honored Contributor
Ken Hubnik_2
Message 2 of 8 (134 Views)

Re: monitor script

You can use the logger command and funnel the output to syslog.
Super Advisor
Ragni Singh
Message 3 of 8 (134 Views)

what is this logger command you are talking about?
Honored Contributor
Jean-Louis Phelix
Message 4 of 8 (134 Views)

hi

You just have to change your echo command by a 'opcmon' command.

opcmon [ -help ] = [ -object ] [ -option variable>= ]*

Regards
It works for me (© Bill McNAMARA ...)
Honored Contributor
Ken Hubnik_2
Message 5 of 8 (134 Views)

logger is an interface to get messages or output into /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log.
Look at the man pages on logger.
Honored Contributor
Robin Wakefield
Message 6 of 8 (134 Views)

Sanjay,

See if this gives you what you want:

#!/usr/bin/ksh

opcmsg="/opt/OV/bin/OpC/opcmsg"

function opcm
{
severity="${1}"
text="${2}"
${opcmsg} severity=$severity application=misc object=misc msg_text="${text}"
}

ps -ef | egrep '(processManager|fbam|fbdm|pcxsml|fb.*io|pcxrm|fbmoc|fbdbx)' | cut -c49-84 |grep -vq egrep

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then

opcm warning "FBHH processes are still running."
exit 1

else

opcm normal "FBHH successfully shutdown."

fi

Rgds, Robin
Valued Contributor
David Totsch
Message 7 of 8 (134 Views)

I know, you only asked about how to forward a message, but I couldn't resist (maybe it is because I am full of turkey)...

Shell scripts are not very efficient, so take a moment to make sure your script is as slim as possible:

1) when passing output from ps(1) to grep(1), grep will have less work to do if you pass less information. You can limit ps to a particular user with the "-u" option and the user name as an argument. So, instead of 'ps -ef | grep oracle', you could 'ps -fu oracle'.

2) grep already does a lot of work looking for regular expressions, but adding the alternations ("|") increases the work exponentially. Consider putting the list of process names into a file, and using fixed string grep to find them ('ps -Ff ')

3) run as few commands as possible. First, 'grep -v grep' can always be avoided by clever regular expression formulation. For example, 'ps -ef | grep something' will match itself in the process stack, but 'ps -ef | grep [s]omething' will not match itself (but you could always only pass 'ps -e' information when looking for a process name and not a user name or argument). Also, avoid using several commands where one or two will do (awk can look for regular expressions like grep and pass output like cut -- and passing grep output to awk is kinda silly, unless you have a major code readability problem). [Yes, I know awk is a bigger command to load.]

4) make commands do more of the work. I kinda just got through saying that, but instead of 'ps -fu oracle | grep [l]istener | wc -l' consider 'ps -fu oracle | grep -c [l]istener'. You can also avoid the overhead of redirecting stdout & stderr by using the "-q' option to grep when you are just checking the exit status (saves some room on the command-line, too).

5) when looking for processes, I like to construct an array of PIDs so that I can use the following simplified code to check for them in the process stack:

for PID in ${PIDArray[@]}
do
if ps -fp $PID > /dev/null 2>&1
then
: # it is in the stack
else
: # process is missing!
fi
done

Enjoy,
-dlt-
Occasional Visitor
Liselotte Pettersson
Message 8 of 8 (134 Views)

First you have to create to monitors in VPO that are listening.
Ex:PROCESS_DOWN
PROCESS_UP
You set up the PROCESS_DOWN-monitor as "Program" that is running your script.
The "PROCESS_UP-monitor" is "external" and just listening.This one can close the "DOWN_alarm" in message-correlation.

Put in "OPCMON=/opt/OV/bin/OpC/opcmon"
MON1=PROCESS_DOWN
MON2=PROCESS_UP

in your script.

ps -ef | egrep '(processManager|fbam|fbdm|pcxsml|fb.*io|pcxrm|fbmoc|fbdbx)' | cut -c49-84 |grep -v egrep
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then

#echo "\nFBHH processes are still running.\n"
$OPCMON "$MON1=3
$OOPCMON "MON2=3

else

#echo "\nFBHH successfully shutdown.\n"
$OPCMON "$MON1=0
$OPCMMON "MON2=0

fi

I should change the script, so the successfully larm just come when the process up again, not every time the script is running.

Good luck!

/Lisa
Lisa
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.