Re: Upgrade to Glance 3.72 (30 Views)
Regular Advisor
Richard Murden
Message 1 of 9 (30 Views)
Accepted Solution

Upgrade to Glance 3.72

I am currently running Glance 3.55 on HP-UX 11.0 and have downloaded the 3.72 tar file and extracted it. I am not sure what to do with it now. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Richard
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tim D Fulford
Message 2 of 9 (30 Views)

Re: Upgrade to Glance 3.72

OK, this is the quick, spurs an all upgrade...

/opt/perf/bin/mwa stop
/opt/perf/bin/ttd -k
swinstall -s ... etc ...
/opt/perf/bin/mwa restart

There are other "safer" ways of doing it, like taking a backup before hand, but the above has worked for me & I did it on-line (e.g. the applications were on-line as opposed to glance/mwa being on-line).

Regards

Tim
-
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Vishwanath Pargaonkar
Message 3 of 9 (30 Views)

Hi ,
If you are just installing glance not mwa then mwa start will not be there. So installatiom by default would start ttd , midaemon. So you can start using glance/gpm dependingly.

Vishu
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Di Falco Christian
Message 4 of 9 (30 Views)

Hi

keep attention: if you have both glance than mwa and you will launch only a glance upgrade than probably the mwa will not work well (glance and mwa use the same library).

I would launch also a midaemon -T before deinstalling glance.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Richard Murden
Message 5 of 9 (30 Views)

Question for Tim. I will be upgrading both Glance and measureware. What is this?
swinstall -s ... etc ...
What does "... etc ..." do?
Also, do i have to stop glance brfore installing? What is that command?
Thanks,
Richard

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Di Falco Christian
Message 6 of 9 (30 Views)

Hi,
swinstall is the command used by HP to deinstall the packages.
However you should find the following script:
/opt/perf/bin/mwa.remove
/opt/perf/bin/gp.remove
which allow to deistall the product.
You can find detailed information about install/deinstall at
http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/
or
/opt/perf/paperdocs/mwa/C/mwainst.pdf
/opt/perf/paperdocs/gp/C/GP-install.pdf

I think you should:
1) make a backup copy of the conf file contained into /var/opt/perf/ and a copy of logfile in /var/opt/perf/datafiles (better an extract)
2) kill all glance processes
3) mwa stop
4) midaemon -T
5) ttd -k
5) /opt/perf/bin/mwa.remove
6) /opt/perf/bin/gp.remove

This should deinstall the products.
Than install the new version.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tim D Fulford
Message 7 of 9 (30 Views)

1 - The swinstall is the standard way HP deploy their binaries.. (man swinstall). Gnerally the binaries are in a .depot file. If you got the file from HP the tar file should contain a .depot file so tar tvf 3.72.tar" will show you this, and "tar xvf 3.72.tar" will extract the data. I rather assumed you knew about tar. I also assumed you knew about swinstall, hence the .. etc .. bit. To install the GlancePlusPak you should have a *.depot file called something like GlancePlusPak_372.depot. To instal this

swinstall -s /var/tmp/GlancePlusPak_372.depot and follow the menu instructions.

2 - I'm sure I prefixed my previous reply with "spurs and all".. The method I showed is probably NOT the HP 100%, fire proof, bullet proof method. It is however the way I do it/have done it/will do it. I do not uninstall the older version of mwa, as I want to preserve the old /var/opt/perf/datafiles & parm file. You do not need to (though you could, if you wished) unistall older versions of measureware/glance as the new version is a higher point version, so it will be over written.

Regards

Tim
-
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Richard Murden
Message 8 of 9 (30 Views)

Thanks, i know about tar and swinstall. I got confused when there was no depot file. I thought there was another install method with Glance 3.72. I will go back and download the the software again. I got the install and release note from the docs page. You said ...etc..., I thought it was like etc/opt/OV blah blah blah. I will keep you posted.
thanks,
Richard
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tim D Fulford
Message 9 of 9 (30 Views)

... I forgott I had a third question to answer

glance uses common libaries/executibles to MeasureWare. One of them being ttd (Thread Tracker Daemon) the "ttd -k" kills the a core element of glance. I believe that this will crash any runnig glance sessions, so stopping any current glance sessions is wise, even though the ttd -k should also rip the rug out from under them anyway...

the "mwa stop" kills.. nicely.. the following
scopeux (MWA data collector)
midaemon (measurement interface daemon)
alarmgen (alarm generator)
agdbserver (alarm database server)
perflbd (location broker)
rep_server (repository server)

the "midaemon -T" command is a "kill -9" for midaemon, and should not be necessary as the "mwa stop" should kill it anyway... (this too should kill any runnig glance sessions).

Regards

Tim
-
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation