OVPI 5.41 on HP-UX 11.31 and Oracle 11G R2 (11.2.0.2) - Best Practices (1731 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Brian01
Message 1 of 6 (1,731 Views)

OVPI 5.41 on HP-UX 11.31 and Oracle 11G R2 (11.2.0.2) - Best Practices

Does anyone have a proven best practice method to deploy OVPI 5.41 on HP-UX 11.31 and Oracle 11G R2 (11.2.0.2) in a standalone environment?  HP Support states it can be done but no one there has any clue on what would be the best configuration. Furthermore, the manuals provided by HP are absolutely unclear on the best way to set up OVPI 5.41 in this type of environment as well.

The environment we are looking to pull performance data on currently consists of 100 nodes at the moment but will grow to 2000 nodes within a few years.

HP needs to provide examples of properly deployed scenarios for reference.   Not outdated, reused and unorganized support documentation they acquired when they purchased the company that invented the software.

I'm looking for real documented successful methods with integrated report packs. Any help or documentation reference (anything but HP's support pdf's) would be greatly appreciated! 

Honored Contributor
Mahmoud Ibrahim
Message 2 of 6 (1,725 Views)

Re: OVPI 5.41 on HP-UX 11.31 and Oracle 11G R2 (11.2.0.2) - Best Practices

Hi Brian,

I have the latest document for Installing Oracle 11g R2 Enterprise Edition, I had the same scenario and I contacted OVPI Project Manager.

OVPI_oracle_install_guide_unix.pdf

OVPI_oracle_install_guide_win.pdf

OVPI_release_notes.html

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4ZtVgr7aLMcOWVlMjkyNDItODZmMS00NGRjLWJkNmEtMzA3MTQzZjVlY2Y5&hl=en_...

Regards,
Mahmoud Ibrahim
http://www.mahmoudthoughts.com
  • Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
  • Occasional Advisor
    Brian01
    Message 3 of 6 (1,708 Views)

Hello Mahmoud,

Thanks for the info. I guess I should've been more precise in my questioning. I do already have the updated docs. I was hoping for a detailed plan that works and has no issues....  But it seems that everyone is having some type of issue with OVPI.

Can you or anyone out there provide the "Best Practices" to the following questions?

1. Are there any Enterprise components which need to be installed in the base Oracle installation (e.g., Partitioning) for OVPI?

2.  How is the Oracle database installed?  If the database is created through the application, is it possible to change the script/settings in order to set file paths and other configuration settings so we can match our company standards?

3.   For the Performance Insight (OVPI) database, are there recommendations for:

•      Redo logs - number of groups, number of members, size of logs
    •      Number and sizes of datafiles or tablespaces + amount of initial data and growth expected
    •      Size of TEMP tablespace
    •      Size of UNDO tablespace and retention time
    •      Sizes of SYSTEM and SYSAUX tablespaces

4.   Are there any specific Oracle initialization parameter settings (e.g., SGA and shared pool sizes, buffer cache size, etc.) recommended or required for the app?

5.   Can we use a non-default port for the Oracle listener or does it have to be 1521?

6.   The advice to not gather statistics for any Oracle system tables goes against our SOP – we normally run special scripts for dictionary and fixed-table stats on all Oracle 11g databases quarterly.  Could you please elaborate on/clarify this for me?  Also, what is your recommendation for keeping OVPI schema stats up to date (frequency of stats runs, use of compute or estimate, automatic or manual stats job, etc.)?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Brian

Advisor
    machani
    Message 4 of 6 (1,649 Views)

Hi Brian,

Refer the below document :

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM524572?searchIdentifier=8ff6de7%3a1328a7c7b19%3a...

This will give you the best practices of PI.

- murali -
    Frequent Advisor
    Sonam123
    Message 5 of 6 (1,637 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The above mentioned link is not working. Not able to open and view the content.

Regards,

Sonam

Advisor
    machani
    Message 6 of 6 (1,619 Views)

Hi Sonam,

Search the selfsolve by selecting the manual and knowledge documents option without choosing the PI version and OS. You will find the list , somewhere in the 4th or 5th page you will find the "OVPI_Master_51_BP_v10" . Download it.

The link which I gave is correct try to download with different browser.

- murali -
    The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.