09-15-2010 08:13 AM
currently I have TeMip Client 5.1 istalled (but the same issue is with 5.3 version).
When I connect to temip server, I can login, but after few seconds I received the following error:
"Connection with the server has been lost. Please exit"
I don't know if some configuration of my PC could cause the issue, because my PC is HP policy standard one, for HP employee.
I supposed the problem could be the firewall, so I tried to disable mcAfee firwall, without success.
Another PC (with the same client version) can connect whitout problem (but this PC is not an HP policy standard one - it is a external consulent's PC).
My env seem to be correctly setted:
the server hostname is "nemo"
PC hosts file:
126.96.36.199 nemo.hp3p.rm nemo
TAL_ORBIX_SERVER = nemo
RESOURCE_SERVER_HOST = nemo
Attached the client log on my PC (using Env variable TeMIPClient_TRACE_INT = 0x20) generated launching TeMIP Client
Someone can help me?
Thanks in advance
09-15-2010 09:00 AM
15/09 19:35:52.678291 [CLT] [../tal_orbix_s_server_callback.cxx,738]
15/09 19:35:52.678999 [SEC] [../tal_orbix_security_impl.cxx,186]
15/09 19:35:57.267596 [SEC] [../tal_orbix_s_security_impl.cxx,541]
15/09 19:35:57.269185 [CLT] [../tal_orbix_s_server_callback.cxx,738]
15/09 19:35:57.269881 [SEC] [../tal_orbix_security_impl.cxx,186]
15/09 19:36:05.692783 [SEC] [../tal_orbix_s_security_impl.cxx,541]
15/09 19:36:05.694570 [CLT] [../tal_orbix_s_server_callback.cxx,738]
15/09 19:36:05.695688 [SEC] [../tal_orbix_security_impl.cxx,186]
15/09 19:36:11.870109 [CLT] [../tal_orbix_interface_impl.cxx,322]
15/09 19:36:44.211233 [CLT] [../tal_orbix_s_call.cxx,364]
15/09 19:36:52.216073 [CLT] [../tal_orbix_s_server_callback.cxx,1805]
15/09 19:37:24.971156 [CLT] [../tal_orbix_s_call.cxx,364]
09-16-2010 03:34 AM
Let check services running on your system and stop all firewalls including Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
Hope it will help.
09-16-2010 06:11 AM
thanks for you support.
The all firewalls and ICS are disabled.
In fact I can login, but after about 60 secs the client losts the connction.
09-16-2010 07:50 AM
the client side firewall is disabled
all the services on server are up, in fact my collegue can connect to server
server IP: 188.8.131.52
my IP: 184.108.40.206
collegue IP: 220.127.116.11
When my collegue connects to TeMIP Server the netstat provides the following connections:
tcp 0 0 18.104.22.168.6012 22.214.171.124.2158 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 126.96.36.199.50800 188.8.131.52.2159 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 184.108.40.206.6030 220.127.116.11.2160 ESTABLISHED
and it remains connected.
When I try to connect to server, I can login and open the TeMIP client but my client has only these connections:
tcp 0 0 18.104.22.168.6030 22.214.171.124.2331 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 126.96.36.199.6012 188.8.131.52.2328 ESTABLISHED
and after a few seconds also these connections are closed.
Attached the tal_orbix_server log server side.
09-16-2010 10:35 PM
When I start the client, I also detect three connections towars TeMIP server. After some time, just one connection remains still.
I guess there is something with CORBA and its services - naming, locator and the third one.
So if it does not bother you too much, you can try to reinstall TeMIP Client. I'm not sure that would solve the problem, but you can give it a try.
Does your colleague logs in with same user name as you? I saw that you tries with acloc. . .why don't you try with temip?
09-17-2010 12:55 AM
my collegue login with acloc user, and so I tried with teh same user. But I will try with temip user.
I've just installed the client 3 times (5.3 version and 5.1 version with their consolidation patches).
I will try again.
09-23-2010 05:04 AM
I tried to unistall again the client.
I deleted all the items in the Windows Registry, and then I installed the 5.3 version.
I have always the same problem :-(
I tried also to login with "temip" account instead "acloc"
Thank to all for any further suggestion.
11-18-2010 02:11 AM
We tried to connect to another TeMIP server, different from the one where I
have the issue, and it worked.
So we understood that the issue was server side.
We solved modifying this file:
compared to the original orbix_tal_orbix_server.cfg I had on the server,
following the changes have been done