Re: TRIM 7.1 Office integration not enabled after install (1337 Views)
Occasional Advisor
uuccu
Message 1 of 9 (1,600 Views)

TRIM 7.1 Office integration not enabled after install

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed thatwhen installing the TRIM 7.1 client during the install you choose to allow TRIM to access the Office SAVE and OPEN dialogs (using either DIRECT or ODMA from the dropdown) once TRIM is installed you still need to go into the client and tick the individual boxes for the Word, Excel etc.

It seems like the install options regarding office integration are being ignored. Unless maybe I am missing somthing obvious? I have noticed this with both Office 2003 and 2007. Also During the 64 bit client install on an Office 2010 machine the installer doesnt even list the Office integration options. 

In 7.1 is it necessary for the user to have to tick the office integation options individually in the TRIM client in order to access TRIM from Word etc.

Many thanks!

Valued Contributor
raynebc
Message 2 of 9 (1,600 Views)

Re: TRIM 7.1 Office integration not enabled after install

Are you using the original install files or an administrative installation that has been created?  If it's the latter, it's a known limitation of Trim that it will not use the settings you select through the installer GUI.  Admin installs only install correctly in passive/silent install mode.

Occasional Advisor
uuccu
Message 3 of 9 (1,600 Views)

Thanks for the confirmation, yeah it is an administrative install. When you say install mode only install correctly in silent mode does that mean that if deploying via group policy (which I guess is essentially a silent install as its using an administrative install) then it should be OK? Either way Ill test this in the morning, many thanks for the guidance!

Valued Contributor
raynebc
Message 4 of 9 (1,600 Views)

It should deploy through Group Policy just fine, if you need to install the administrative package manually (ie. you would rather not push it to some computers through Group Policy), you can create a batch file for convenience, it just needs to call msiexec with an appropriate switch, here's what I use for those occasions:

msiexec /i "(UNC path to the administrative installation's MSI file)" /passive

Visitor
highfive
Message 5 of 9 (1,583 Views)

Hi Uucu,

I can confirm I observed the same.

Whether "ODMA Integration" option is set to;

"Use ODMA directly with HP TRIM"

or

"Integrate HP TRIM with all ODMA compliant applications"

During administrative installation, none of the tick boxes for MS Office apps are selected, when the resulting MSI is used to install from using a batch file.

TRIM client 7.1.0.1132 32-bit, Office 2007 32-bit, Windows 7 32-bit

Command line used in batch file is;

"\\fileserver\apps\trim_7.1.0.1132\Administrative_Installation\HPTRIM_x86.msi" /qb /passive /l*vx C:\TRIM_install.txt ADDLOCAL=HPTRIM,Client ALLUSERS="1" SETUPTYPE="Custom" WGS1="OURSERVER" PORTNO="1137" TRIMREF="DSK" DEFAULTDBNAME="DEFAULTDB" DEFAULTDB="1" ODMA="DSK" ODMALOCAL="1" EMAIL="TIO"

Furthermore, I am puzzled as to whether integration should work with ODMA only (without the COM add-in being loaded in Word, Excel etc.) or if the only way is with the add-in loaded (ticking those boxes results in the add-in being loaded for the currently logged in user).

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would be happy to learn if;

Integration options for Microsoft Office apps are not selected by design and must be enabled by each user individually?

and

Whether integration is expected to function with Microsoft Office via ODMA, without those specifically selected.

In our case, unless the add-in is used, ODMA integration does not work at all.

Regards

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 6 of 9 (1,581 Views)

The Office Integration in 7.1.0 does not use ODMA, it was completely re-written.

Enabling 'ODMA' integration will have no affect on Office in 7.1.0.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Visitor
highfive
Message 7 of 9 (1,575 Views)

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for your lightning fast response!

I need to follow up with couple of questions. Now that I know that the add-in must be used, can it be enabled for all users in the MSI or via command line passed to the MSI?

I realise that the add-in is user profile specific as HKCU entries are used to load it. However, is it possible to have the Microsoft Office apps integration tick boxes selected for any user who logs on, without them having to manually select on their initial launch of TRIM 7.1? Should I perhaps raise a support ticket for this issue so that our installation method and particulars may be reviewed in detail?

Another question I have is regarding Microsoft Office 2010. Am I correct to assume that as with 2007, the add-in must be used and ODMA will have no effect?

Regards

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 8 of 9 (1,566 Views)

I think some requests were raised with r&d to get the options put in the install process to enable the integration, but not sure where this is at.

If you raise a support case, the team will follow up for you.

Since we completely re-wrote the integration for all Office versions, odma will have no affect on any office version. :)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Regular Advisor
Matthew D Wilson
Message 9 of 9 (1,337 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I'm having a similar problem.  Regardless of how I install the TRIM client - be it using the GUI, or calling msiexec (with /passive) I don't get the "Desktop Add-ins" enabled for any user OTHER than the user who actually ran the installation.  The installer sets up the "installing" user's HKLU during the installation - other users appear to get their settings from HKLM the first time the client is run, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly for these settings.

I've attached the MSIExec key from a machine's registry.  I believe those settings are all correct.  But when a new user logs in to this machine, that user does not have the add-ins enabled for office.  But as the user who ran the installation, I do.

These are XP SP3 desktops, office 2003, TRIM 7.1 P2 (and the same thing happened for P1).

I wondered if it was the old "get global settings" behavior from TRIM 6, so I have saved the global settings for this environment to include those checkboxes as checked.  It still doesn't work.

This is something that could be trivially hacked throught the registry.  But I surely must be doing something wrong.

Help!  :-/

Matt.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.