Open a non-default new record form when a particular word document is saved (318 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Shameer Ummer
Message 1 of 8 (318 Views)

Open a non-default new record form when a particular word document is saved

Hi all,

Users in my organisation use a lot of word templates, the documents created from which are stored in TRIM. Our requirement is that if a document is created from a particular tempate and when saved, it should bring up the 'New record' window for a different TRIM record type than the default one. We are on TRIM 6.2.4 and uses ODMA integration. Can anyone kindly provide me with information as to how to achieve this?

Thanks
Shameer

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Strider_1
Message 2 of 8 (318 Views)

Re: Open a non-default new record form when a particular word document is saved

Hi Shameer

I've seen this working two ways:

1. The template is stored in TRIM as a .dot - when the user opens it, modifies and saves it will (should) automatically prompt with a new entry form; and

2. The template stored in TRIM and finalised. The user can therefore only launch the document in word (from the viewer) and then a save will prompt for a new entry form.

Been a while since I tried this but both worked ok a few years back.

My preference would be for 1).

Cheers

Michael

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Shameer Ummer
Message 3 of 8 (318 Views)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. Your suggestion did not work for me unfortunately. I stored a .dot template in TRIM with a recordtype other than the default one. But when I edit the document, I am actually editing the template which is not what I wanted. My requirement is to create a document from that template and when I save the document in TRIM, I should see the 'new record form' associated with the template's record type. Finalizing the template also did not help. After storing the template in TRIM, is there any way to create a document from that template without checking out the template to the local hard disk?

Thanks

Shameer

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 4 of 8 (318 Views)

I think the problem is with how you open the .dot  template from TRIM.

If you 'Edit' the record, it will attempt to open the .dot in an editable mode in Word based on Windows File Associations.

If you right click > View the record, does it behave differently? (When it's made final)

If you 'View' the record, it should behave as if you had a copy on your Desktop and double-clicked it.

But if this is working differently, then you may need to play with the Windows File Type Associations and see how Windows launches a .dot when double-clicked.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Shameer Ummer
Message 5 of 8 (318 Views)

Hi Grundy,

Thanks for your response. When I finalize the template in TRIM it opens up in viewer. I can not get it to open in MS Word as a new document. As you suggested I will look at the file associations to open the doc in MS Word.

Thank you

Shameer

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 6 of 8 (318 Views)

If it is opening in the TRIM Viewer, then you need to add .DOT to the Bypass Viewer list in Tools > Users Options > Viewer tab.

:smileyhappy:

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Shameer Ummer
Message 7 of 8 (318 Views)

Hi Grundy,

Thanks for your response. I tried your suggestion - finalized a template, configured viewer to use the associated application for .dot files and opend the template (either by double clickiing or righclick->view) and it opened in MS Word. Even though Word opened the template itself, when saved it was saved as a document in TRIM which is very close to what we want. The only glitch is that a 'Select record type' window pops up before the 'new record' window and this is what we want to avoid. Since the template was based on XXXX record type, I expected to see the 'new record' form associated with XXXX record type when the doc is saved (without having to choose a record type). Is this possible?

Thanks

Shameer

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 8 of 8 (318 Views)

Hi Shameer,

Selecting a Record Type is normal and it would be difficult to limit the selection to the one Record Type if you still want users to save other electronic documents to other types.

So the short answer is no, not really possible. :smileysad:

But at least we're past the first issue and now saving the correct document types into TRIM!

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation