Re: OneNote 2010 - OLE Error. An OLE document function (GetData) failed (406 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Jane Hay
Message 1 of 7 (444 Views)

OneNote 2010 - OLE Error. An OLE document function (GetData) failed

TRIM version 7.1.0 1157 / Office 2010

I wonder if anyone can assist. One of my users is getting this error: "OLE Error. An OLE document function (GetData) failed" when dragging an attached document from OneNote directly to TRIM.

I've never used OneNote before but have managed to replicate the issue on my computer.

I suspect the problem is that OneNote 2010 doesn't work with TRIM 7.1 (the spec for this version only lists OneNote 2007) and that I'll have to advise the user to drag first to the desktop to bypass the applications attempt to integrate (I tested this and it works).

Has anyone seen this error before or have an idea of what the problem could be?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 2 of 7 (423 Views)

Re: OneNote 2010 - OLE Error. An OLE document function (GetData) failed

It's more likely a generic issue when dragging directly from some particular applications directly into TRIM.

TRIM may be looking for a locally accessible file, but the way OneNote works is stopping TRIM/Windows from seeing the data it needs to grab the document.

I've seen this happen before with other programs, not just OneNote.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Jane Hay
Message 3 of 7 (406 Views)

Yes, I've also seen this error before with Outlook (something to do with the way an attachment was embedded).

I forgot to mention that the user had no problems dragging and dropping from OneNote 2007 to TRIM. The problem has only started now that he has been upgraded to 2010.

If he's not keen on the workaround of dragging to the desktop and then to TRIM then perhaps he can revert to OneNote 2007.

thanks

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Carol Collins
Message 4 of 7 (202 Views)

Hello!  Has anyone else seen this error?  In our case, the error occurred while dragging a PDF file from a Windows 8 desktop onto an existing TRIM document.  The client version is 7.3.4. 

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 5 of 7 (196 Views)

Hi Carol,

I saw something recently with this error, they were running Windows 8.1. Which at this stage hasn't been spec'd against any TRIM version.

can you double check the version of Windows 8 you are running, might be unrelated but worth a look.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Carol Collins
Message 6 of 7 (192 Views)

Yes, it is definitely 8.1.  Thanks for your reply, Greg!

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 7 of 7 (186 Views)

Ah that sounds like the problem to me. Unfortunately 8.1 has been listed as a supported version yet.

This issue has been brought to the attention of development.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation