Office 2007 and .doc files (522 Views)
Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 1 of 8 (522 Views)

Office 2007 and .doc files

Ok first post so be gentle

Ok so when we have 2007 office without the compatibility pack Trim 6.2 either 5 or 4. .doc files are checked in as .docx files and when we try and edit them the message comes up Contents do not match. The only way this can be fixed that I can see is to check them out and back in again as the right extention. Am I missing something here that can fix this?

Occasional Contributor
Jess Morgana
Message 2 of 8 (522 Views)

Re: Office 2007 and .doc files

I am having the exact same issue all of a sudden. For some reason with some users, when they save word documents or excel spreadsheets they are saving in 2007 extensions and the error message appears when someone tries to 'Edit' the document. 

I have checked to see if Word or Excel is defaulted to use the .docx file extension automatically when saving but it isn't so I don't know why this is happening.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide an answer!

Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 3 of 8 (522 Views)

yeah defaulting to save as .doc helps a little in the fact that you can insert them and it recognizes them as the right file type but files that are already inside trim still have the same issue. I thought going from 6.2.4 to 6.2.5 might fix this issue because 6.2.5 was supposed to address alot of integration issues but hasn't seemed to fix this one.

Valued Contributor
Mark de Berg
Message 4 of 8 (522 Views)

Hi Jason,

This is a known issue with ODMA integration. best way around it is to get the users to save all exisitng 2003 office documents to a local drive and then send to TRIM. The fix for documents within TRIM with the incorrect file extension is as you said, check the document out, change the extension and check in.

Hopefully HP will create a work around when they develop the Office 2010 intengration. :smileyindifferent:

Cheers

Mark

Frequent Advisor
Nathan  Godfrey
Message 5 of 8 (522 Views)

Hi Jason,

We actually had a very similary issue in 6.23 1147 when we were operating in a mixed 2003/2007 Office environment.

Our issue was that 2007 word documents were getting saved with a .doc extension which caused a version mismatch error the next time someone tried to view the document.

Rather then having to educate the business on the workaround I ended up adding our own User Definded event handler to the TRIM Event server which would check for the mismatch and when identified would check out the document, correct the extension and check the record back in.

Happy to share the code.

- Nathan

Frequent Advisor
Adam_Ledwos
Message 6 of 8 (522 Views)

Hi Nathan,

This issue is proving to be quite problematic for my organisation also. Your workaround is inspired! - could you please post the code or forward to:

adam.ledwos@newcastle.edu.au

Thanks,

Adam
Frequent Advisor
Nathan  Godfrey
Message 7 of 8 (522 Views)

Hi Adam,

As requested, I've attached the code (Visual Studio 2008 project) I used for working around the document mismatch issue that we are having with TRIM.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

- Nathan

Valued Contributor
James_Aardvark
Message 8 of 8 (522 Views)

Hi Nathan,

I am trying to use that code you posted but I cannot run it in Visual Studio 2008.  It runs offline, but I can't seem to find a version that supports the project  - help?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.