Re: MS Word Mail Merge and TRIM 6.24 1240 (519 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Annabelle Wills
Message 1 of 9 (730 Views)

MS Word Mail Merge and TRIM 6.24 1240

Hi, several of our users use Word's mail merge process.  Is there a way of saving the resulting documents to different TRIM folders in one go?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 9 (730 Views)

Re: MS Word Mail Merge and TRIM 6.24 1240

I'm thinking the answer to this is going to be "no".  :smileysad:

Advisor
JohnHartley
Message 3 of 9 (730 Views)

You could perform the automation from Word  using Word macros.  The integrated Visual Basic macro language can give you programmatic control over mail merge. See the following article to give you some ideas.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258512

The macro could perform multiple mail merges and place the results in multiple folders.

You could use TRIM Document Queues  to pick up the files in those folders.

Alternatively, you can call the TRIM SDK from Word directly for more control (and fun)...

Clear as mud?

Frequent Advisor
Annabelle Wills
Message 4 of 9 (730 Views)

These are my first thoughts but I thought I'd ask just in case someone out there managed to find  a solution without coding.  Thank you both for replying quickly to this post.

Best regards

Annabelle

Advisor
JohnHartley
Message 5 of 9 (730 Views)

Without the automation then you will have some additional steps.

You can use filtering against the data file in Word and direct the filtered output to a document queue. This will involve:

1. Setting up the filter in word.
  2. Produce mail merge result as a file.
  3. Save the file to the document queue folder.

If you were doing this often I would be tempted to look at the code option.

Frequent Advisor
Annabelle Wills
Message 6 of 9 (730 Views)

Hi John, we are going to try your suggestion.  Current process is they print out the letters,  scan them to TRIM then post these letters but they'd rather save these letters as Word docs.  Many thanks ... A

Advisor
JohnHartley
Message 7 of 9 (730 Views)

Have a good look at Bing (http://bingmail.com.au) .  These guys offer a 'Print-to-Post' service which may be the final piece of the puzzle. A glorified printer driver is installed on your system which instead of printing on a printer next to you, is sent to Bing. Bing interprets the address on the page, stuffs the printout in a letter, and posts it.

Definitely worth a look.

Disclosure: I do not work for Bing but my son is on the same cricket team as a gentleman who does.  We discussed the Bing service while we watched my son score 2 for 10.

Further Disclosure: The first disclosure was really an excuse to say my son took two wickets for ten runs........

Occasional Visitor
TriminIT
Message 8 of 9 (730 Views)

Other then the content; a suggested approach is to leverage off trim to produce the mail-merge letter end to end. e.g contact details(locations), record number(emebdded to footer), PDF conversion (to email) and importantantly save each merged letter individually....although it requires coding:smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
MrGman
Message 9 of 9 (519 Views)

To help you out, I have developed a system to sent MS Word mail merges to HP TRIM and create into individual files.

This has been created without the need of coding. I use software call Hp Trapeze capture to virtually scan the mail merge and then sent it to the individual files in TRIM.

As it was my idea, I was involved with the development and testing of the product to achieve this task.

To enquire and purchase the product contact:

http://www.redmansolutions.com.au/

Postal Address:
PO Box 719, Fortitude Valley, QLD 4006

Phone: 1300 797 097

Also i do not work for this company  

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.