upgrade from 32-bit XP/MC to 64-bit XP? (108 Views)
Occasional Visitor
John Petty
Message 1 of 6 (108 Views)
Accepted Solution

upgrade from 32-bit XP/MC to 64-bit XP?

I recently found that I actually have a 64-bit CPU in my ZD8230us - Pentium 4 650, 3.4 GHz. I have already upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB and I am trying to find ways to speed up the thing. I'm not really concerned if it is a "Media Center" laptop, that's just what it came with. I use it for 3D modeling in AutoCAD 2006 and plan to install Adobe CS3 soon. I would suppose that 64-bit drivers should not be a problem by now?
<>
Other than that I wish I could upgrade the Video memory to at least 256MB.

Thanks in advance,
JP
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
BEN ROTH
Message 2 of 6 (108 Views)

Re: upgrade from 32-bit XP/MC to 64-bit XP?

While you can install 64-bit XP on your machine, you cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. You will have to do a clean (fresh) install of XP Pro 64-bit.

Before you do this, though, be sure to check this site for 64-bit XP drivers for your model. Life will be much easier if HP directly supports 64-bit. Otherwise, you'll probably have to learn Intel's site for finding things. :)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
John Petty
Message 3 of 6 (108 Views)

Thanks, I was planning on a fresh 32-bit install from scratch as a method of hopefully regaining some speed that has slowly evaporated over time as software cam and went. Now I just want it lean and quick. So I am hoping 64-bit could help with that I know AutoCAD has a 64-bit native version and Adobe surely has a version of CS3 available, I would think. And of course MS Office should be available as an upgrade but for what price? :(

I think I remember seeing x64 XP Pro listed in the HP drive images for recovery disc sets.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 4 of 6 (108 Views)

A nice little explanation of 64 bit computing:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0475.html

As of right now, 64 bit Windows just does not offer much in the way of benefit. Your 32 bit software will run on it. MS Office will be fine. However, drivers for peripherals are still a problem. You are correct that most drivers for the hardware in the computer are available. www.planetamd64.com is the leading source. Some operations in Adobe Photoshop are having issues in Windows 64 bit you should be aware. Photoshop CS3 is not a 64 bit program:

http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/64_bitswhen.html

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-6146229-7.html

AutoCAD 2008 has a 64 bit version for the first time:

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2007/02/autocad_2008_64.html

As of today the fastest and best computing experience for most people on a PC is going to be good old 32 bit Windows XP Pro. There is no compelling reason to run the 64 bit version and doing so will cause enough trouble to be noticeable. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
John Petty
Message 5 of 6 (108 Views)

Thanks for the replies! I have decided that my best course of action is to simply reload XP/SP2 and be careful about what software loads up in the background. This habit of pre-loading software into memory so that it starts up faster is a really BAD habit. Didn't Microsoft start that with IE so that it would load faster than Netscape?

Otherwise, I have found that my desktop replacement laptop (ZD8230US) has a defective video chipset mounted on the motherboard. This is a problem with all of the ZD8000 series and not just mine. I now have three vertical lines on my beautiful 17" screen and only have the prospect of more in the future. Since the video is on the motherboard, the whole thing would need to be replaced and I would only end up with the same problem again. There are many, many unhappy campers out there with this problem and HP refuses to aknowledge it and do a recall or any other kind of offer. Eventually I will need to get an external monitor since it seems that however it drives external monitors is not affected.

I have already removed the battery for a noticeable performance increase. New batteries are not supposed to last more than a few months to a year. My big, expensive laptop PC has truly become a destop PC!

I will save my money for a replacement. I have been a loyal HP customer for many years but I will look very closely at what other companies are offering now. If anyone wonders why I don't get a more powerful and less expensive desktop - I am from New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina taught me to be more portable. For many weeks my big tower unit (HP) sat there and I worried myself 1/2 to death that looters were going to break in and take it along with everything else, tossing a match on their way out the door. I will now always use large laptops that I can easily grab and go.

Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
John Petty
Message 6 of 6 (108 Views)

I forgot to drop in this URL:
<>
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation