hp pavilion ze4900 laptop won't boot (950 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Osmany Madrigal
Message 1 of 10 (950 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp pavilion ze4900 laptop won't boot

Laptop hp pavilion ze4900 boot failure. Symtoms:Power light ON, HDD activity light OFF, DC power light ON.Black screen, cpu fan spins for a few seconds then it stops (it seems like it wants to boot the the starting sequence stops somewhere).
What I have done:
1.Remove and put back battery and DC adapter, reset the laptop using a reset tiny hole it has on the bottom, press power botton= NOTHING,
2.Remove battery and DC adapter, press and hold the power botton for about a minute, put battery and DC back, press power botton again= NOTHING,
3. Remove and put back the RAM memory and HDD= NOTHING,
4. Try an external CRT monitor=NOTHING
5. Remove and put back the DVD ROM drive=NOTHING
Can someone please, suggest me what the problem might be and how to attempt to fix it?
Thanks in advance,
osmany
Respected Contributor
lim leong
Message 2 of 10 (950 Views)

Re: hp pavilion ze4900 laptop won't boot

You probably don't want to hear this ...

If you can't even see the POST information on the LCD during booting then I think you machine is truly dead (Hardware failure). Most likely a motherboard failure.
Occasional Advisor
Osmany Madrigal
Message 3 of 10 (950 Views)

Thanks lim leong, that's exactly what I was afraid of, but would you please tell me other things I could try to be 100% sure it is, let's say the motherboard, before going to buy a new one, I mean, besides what I've done so far. Yesterday I also dismantled the laptop to wonder inside it and didn't notice anything wrong, that's, all connectors were properly plugged, all metal contacts in right position, cpu fan and heat sink clean. I removed the mobo tiny battery for a while and put it back, but unfortunately when I finished and tried booting again NOTHING, same symptoms.
Thanks again, Osmany
Occasional Visitor
Theresa McCormick
Message 4 of 10 (950 Views)

I have a HP Pavilion DV2225nr that was working perfectly until last week when I put it into sleep (closed lid) and forgot it for the day. Now it has the SAME symptoms. I never see the bios screen or HP screen - nothing. However, I left it plugged in for the night and the next day it worked. Then I ran some checks - all fine. After not using it for a week, same problem. Eventually it turned on.

I am thinking it could be the cmos battery. If we don't even get to the bios screen, then it is either mobo or cmos. I am thinking a battery can 're-energize' for a boot up eventually (like putting into the refridge a AA battery). A cmos battery can and does go. 3 yr life span usually. I am going to call tech support but my money is on this -- a pc boots up in a specific order. If you had bad ram, you will get specific beep codes to let you know the problem. If we don't get to even that, then it has to be the first step which is that battery. In a desktop pc, it costs about 25 bucks. Let me know how it goes.
Theresa
Occasional Advisor
Osmany Madrigal
Message 5 of 10 (950 Views)

Hi Teresa, thanks for your suggestions, I'll try the leaving-laptop on-overnight tip to see if it works, though I should also tell you I once removed the RAM, then pressed the Power bottom to see if the booting process went up to the RAM and it gave me some beep sounds telling me the RAM wasn't working (of course I had removed it).
Please, keep in touch,
Thanks again,
Osmany
Respected Contributor
lim leong
Message 6 of 10 (950 Views)

Therasa,

Your DV2225nr problem is likely to be a known HP AMD/Broadcom based motherboard failure issue. See HP official response below:

http://US-UrgentSupport.p08.com/u.d?0GffC4LpdUPrD4=0

Osmany,

The cost of sending you laptop to HP is probably not economical (if it is out of warranty).

However, if you are handy with assembling laptop, you can probably buy a used motherboard from EBAY quite cheaply and replaced it yourself.

Occasional Visitor
Jim Maggio
Message 7 of 10 (950 Views)

I am having a similar problem and suspect the CMOS battery. Has anyone ever narrowed down the search for an answer?
If I leave the dv6450 laptop connected to the power cord, it works fine BUT after a few hours away from the wall outlet and running on what should be something of a charged battery, once shut down, the laptop won't start. lights flash for just a second and then OFF again. If I put the laptop in the freezer for 15 or so minutes, it will restart.
Question is, if it was the CMOS, wouldn't I lose settings, date etc in the process of it crashing?
PS It is not an AMD motherboard and not part of the recall.
Occasional Visitor
Theresa McCormick
Message 8 of 10 (950 Views)

it was not the cmos battery - it was a motherboard defect. HP replaced it. It worked fine for a year and now I have the same symptoms so I am thinking mobo again. I do know that the flashing lights in the front of the laptop -- the flashing is a code to tell you the error.
Occasional Visitor
wesley lipps
Message 9 of 10 (950 Views)

You guys ever tried reseting the bios?? Try holding down scroll and insert keys while its on and then hold down the power button. This will cause the laptop to shutdown and reboot. Ive used this trick on my dv2000 many times when it black screens and does nothing but flash the blue lights. Give it a shot and good luck..
Occasional Visitor
Basheer Meledath
Message 10 of 10 (950 Views)

Hai Osmani Madriqal,
This is not only for you but all who are doing laptop repairing professionally. If a laptop or desktop computer (whatever may be the brand/company) don't display anything and don't produce any beep codes but all other things are OK; before attempting to repair it try the procedure given below.
1) Unplug the ac adapter.
2) Remove the battery.
3) Remove the CMOS battery.
4) Disassemble the unit.
5) Take sharp ended metalic tweezer.
6) Shorten the CMOS battery contact for
a while with the tweezer.
7) Shorten each and every electrolitic
capacitors for a while.
8) Refit the essential parts for a test.
9) Check the wheather the problem has
solved.
In some cases it will solve the problem.
The technicians as well as the enthusiasts most welcome they are not a miser in sharing their knowledge in laptop or desktop repairing field. My email
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.