Wireless installation problem Compaq Presario r3000z (205 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Randall Shimizu
Message 1 of 6 (205 Views)

Wireless installation problem Compaq Presario r3000z

Recently I purchased a Compaq r3000z laptop and the internal wireless stopped working. The wireless card was not dectecting where there was one. So I checked all the usual stuff. So I decided to reninstall XP Home. This did not work and I contacted HP. I checked and the correct driver was installed. I sent the laptop to Compaq they re-imaged the drive. So I am wondering if Compaq is using a propietary driver....???
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 6 (205 Views)

Re: Wireless installation problem Compaq Presario r3000z

No the stock drivers should work. They also may have replaced the mini-pci wireless card.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Randall Shimizu_1
Message 3 of 6 (205 Views)

No they did not replace the wireless card so......
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 4 of 6 (205 Views)

The only other thing I can think is that the original Windows installation was messed up so the driver was not loading or there was a hardware resource conflict. Your r3000z is real similar to my HP zv5255 (both AMD) which uses the Broadcom b/g chipset, also used by laptops from a lot of manufacturers. I am not using the HP drivers but a generic Broadcom driver and mine works fine and I have also gotten it working under Linux so I know there is nothing special about the HP drivers.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Randall Shimizu_1
Message 5 of 6 (205 Views)

I deleted the partition and started from scratch. So my only guess is that XP is loading the incorrect driver. I wonder if the driver signature could be incorrect...???
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Randall Shimizu_1
Message 6 of 6 (205 Views)

Here is a fix I recently ran across http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7589-0.html?forumID=62&threadID=62768&messageID=1054913

"I worked with a tech tonight who had me make a change to the boot.ini file. Once I did that and rebooted the machine. The problem seemed fixed.

The change was to add the /execute=optin parameter"

I have not had a chance to try the fix...
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation