Warning - Hp eeprom has been re-initialized!!! (2072 Views)
Occasional Advisor
R Papps
Message 1 of 11 (2,072 Views)

Warning - Hp eeprom has been re-initialized!!!

I have a strange problem. 2 days ago my ze4103s pavilion notebook turned on, went straight to the bios test, and came up with the error 'warning - hp eeprom has been re-initialized'. Following this it gave 2 options - enter setup or continue. If I continued, it went straight to the ediag tools, and said that the system was unrecognisable, and that the tools would not work on this machine, then telling me to push a key to restart.
If I went into setup, under the system ID, serial etc it only had a couple of lines about the system, and the system id, serial etc was garbled.
I also noticed the batterylight was flashing, which I saw in the manual, means a battery error.
For the past 2 days I have tried removing the battery, leaving the battery in, unlugging power etc, with no result.

SO, I called HP - I am currently in Ireland for a year, but I am from New Zealand, and purchased my computer from there. HP told me they couldn't help me with my model, and I would have to ring New Zealand HP myself, and that I would more than likely need to send my notebook to New Zealand for repair!!! They told me my motherboard was fried.

Today, out of the blue, IT WORKED!!!!
So now I am intermittently able to turn on the computer and load windows etc, and the computer functions perfectly. Then, if I turn it off, or restart it, it comes up with the eeprom error, and sometimes a '0251 cmos checksum bad, default configuration used' error aswell.

So my motherboard can't be fried because it can load up windows intermittently.

I use my notebook for work, and to send to NZ would take 2 weeks each way, plus the time for repair - 5-6 weeks plus, and I would have to pay for the shipping, so I cannot afford to be without it for that long.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions/ideas/opinions?

The notebook is only 4 months old, and still under warranty.

Right now, my notebook is going, but without the battery in it. Whenthe battery is installed, windows says the ac power is pugged in, even when it isn't.

Could my problem be related to the battery - fluctuating voltage - loose connector?

SOrry the the huge rant, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
R Papps
Message 2 of 11 (2,072 Views)

Re: Warning - Hp eeprom has been re-initialized!!!

I meant to say that my specs are:
Celeron 1.7
384 meg ram

Shut down computer as always the night before - next morning problem started.

Thanks for any help in advance
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Opjose
Message 3 of 11 (2,072 Views)

A stab in the dark.

Could something such as a metallic powder, flashing, etc. have gotten blown into the unit? (Also how about humidity?)

This may cause an intermittent short and result in what you are seeing.

You might want to try blowing compressed air across the motherboard, via the vent holes, etc. to try to clean the unit out.

Just a wild try.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
CA881354
Message 4 of 11 (2,072 Views)

i dont think that blowing compressed air into the unit is such a great idea, because that would cause everything that is stuck in the vent get into inside of the unit even deeper. too much dust inside might cause the short or something hazardeous. if short occurs it could lead to a fire, and ofcourse will burn the unit, frying everything or almost everything that is insde.

it is probably to take it apart and then blow everything from inside to outside and not from outside into inside.

can u find local hp service location that will service the unit on site, so u would not have to send it in.
If It Ain't Broke, Don't F#@# With It
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
R Papps
Message 5 of 11 (2,072 Views)

Thanks for the responses. As far as opening the notebook myself to get to 'cleaning' the motherboard, is this 'easy'? What would I look for when I was cleaning it? I mean, would there be an obvious place where the short could be occuring?

I could try to find an authorised HP repair service - but finding anything on the hp site seems to be near impossible.

I meant to also say that the battery seems to be fine - the power level indcator on the side of the battery shows it as fully charged, which it is.

I am in Dublin, where the humidity isn't too tropical. The notebook hasn't been exposed to anything out of the ordinary. Could dust be sucked in the fan, or through the keyboard/scrollpad?

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Will let you know of outcome.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Opjose
Message 6 of 11 (2,072 Views)

Serge the notebook fans blow OUT not in.

The low voltages involved are not really a fire hazard either.

Dust bunnies are the most common problems in notbooks and PC, and "blowing them out" is not especially problematic. In fact it IS a good idea to lower the possibility of the dust bunnies from annealing onto the metallic surfaces due to the presence of other substances.

In his case he is having fairly dramatic problems that are symptomatic of either the CMOS and/or EEPROM state not being correctly read by the rest of the circuitry during startup.

While there is no guarantee that the problem is due to something foreign in the system, his lack of proximity to a service center and desire to do something immediately may warrant trying things which superficially appear ludicrous.

A loose screw within the system could be disasterous.

However at the same time he may be able to remedy a short due to a foreign metallic particle by blowing the machine out.

There is always the change of doing more damage, but there is also a higher chance of dislodging an offending "bit" and blowing it out of the case.

We've cure quite a high number of "strange" problems on computers operating in hazardous environments by something as simple.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
CA712564
Message 7 of 11 (2,072 Views)

Although I have no specific solution for the technical aspect of this problem, I can give you an account of a very satisfactory HP solution to my problem.
I contacted the Executive Offices, rec'd an almost instant reply from the executive assistant to the CEO and in no time my problem was resolved.
The top people generally have a greater interest in the name and reputation of the company than some of the people on tech support. I can wholeheartedly recommend that you pursue this via the Executive Offices.
Hope this helps.
Henk
FlyBoy
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Opjose
Message 8 of 11 (2,072 Views)

Unfortunately your experience is oh so true.

Though it's not always that the lower level people have no interest in helping, rather intermediaries prioritize their time or agendas so they are basically powerless to help people out.

(Though there are also those in any tech support who tend to prove the validity of the Peter Principle... sigh.)

I laud Disney quite a bit for empowering their employees to keep the customer happy. I wish other companies would do likewise.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ed spengeman
Message 9 of 11 (2,072 Views)

Just got back from BVI with laptop (nx9005) inside sailboat. Now feel grit on keyboard and top. It will not run on battery -1 yr old. Get same eeprom message and use F1 to boot. Have to double & tripple strike keys.
Otherwise, ok.

Any suggestions?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
erie910
Message 10 of 11 (869 Views)

I have the same problem on a ze5300.  Is there any way to resolve this?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MeowMeow
Message 11 of 11 (631 Views)

here are a few questions:

-what is the orignal OS that was shipped with the laptop? Did you upgrade the OS?

-did you send your laptop in for repairs recently before this happened?

It would be nice if you could post a image of the error here.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation