Re: Question for Steve Huffer and anyone else regarding dvd/cdrw drives noise (341 Views)
Advisor
CA893513
Message 1 of 13 (341 Views)
Accepted Solution

Question for Steve Huffer and anyone else regarding dvd/cdrw drives noise

I have a ze4145 and a Toshiba laptop 1115-s123. The Hp plays music cds with no drive noise. The Toshiba is new, and plays cds and I hear the music play fine (on both laptops), however, the drive on the Toshiba works hard to play a regular music cd. The spinning is loud and if you put your ear near the laptop, you can hear it vibrate the wood surface it is placed on (flat surface,wood chair)Is this normal ? I know some drives may be louder than others, but can it be that way on regular cd playback on Toshiba and not on HP? why would it take so much work for one drive to play,and not another ? Is the drive in the Toshiba laptop broken ? Could anyone let me know their informed opinion,especialy if they have Toshiba 1115-s123 experience-Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris Kucy
Message 2 of 13 (341 Views)

Re: Question for Steve Huffer and anyone else regarding dvd/cdrw drives noise

Every laptop I ever owned and used including hp's, toshiba's, dell's, gateway's etc have done this, some more than others. It only happens with cd's that spin really fast. Notebook cd drives are also small and compact and are prone to vibration since the motor and everything else is all built into the drive tray, so they dont have much room to put all the rubber dampeners and anti vibration stuff in there that their desktop counterparts have. The way the drive is attached inside the computer also can affect this. Drives that are more securely and tightly mounted inside the notebook virbrate much less than ones that are not as securely and tightly mounted. I have never had any problems arise from this either.
"File Deletion Is Murder, Hard Drive Formatting Is Genocide" Unknown
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CA893513
Message 3 of 13 (341 Views)

Thanks for the input chris, I can understand the drive working hard for game or business use software, but you find it spins very fast and loud (with slight vibration)for regular music cd listening with many brands?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BR713882
Message 4 of 13 (341 Views)

I have a ze5170, and every time I play a cd, after a while it has been playing, the computer stalls for about 2 seconds at the end of each song. even if im not running anything, and just playing with the mouse pointer.
It also makes some weird noises and stalls at the end of the cd, again for about 2 or 3 seconds, although it doesnt vibrate.

I guess I would prefer a cd driver that vibrates...

has anyone had this problem?

Luis
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris Kucy
Message 5 of 13 (341 Views)

I don't usually listen to music cd's on the computer, but of the few I have, 1 or 2 did cause vibration, but it only lasted a few seconds while the drive was scanning the disc. If your drive does this with the majority of cd's, it is probably not mounted in the computer as secure as it should be, but I don't think it is broken. The drive in my HP is only secured by 1 screw, my old toshiba 2595 satellite had it's drive secured by 4 screws and vibrated much less.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 6 of 13 (341 Views)

I also have to say I am not a big audiophile. The only time I play music CDs on a laptop is maybe to test one out but I have noticed the rotation speed seems to be higher with music than data. It is real hard to set up the small CD drive in a laptop to be balanced perfectly. I assume this is the source of the noise and vibration you hear.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
tvywaerc
Message 7 of 13 (341 Views)

My NVR vibrates when I play music cd's, especially when I have the subwoofer in. Gotta love that subwoofer.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CA893513
Message 8 of 13 (341 Views)

Luis, I have found the same type of delay between.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BR713882
Message 9 of 13 (341 Views)

Ron,

If you find the cure for the delay, please let me know.

Luis
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris Kucy
Message 10 of 13 (341 Views)

Are the cd's burned or retail? Burned music cd's usually have a 2 second delay between songs because of the way the file system is setup. There is a method that eliminates this called track at once recording. If they are just regular music cd's then it might be the program you are using to play them. I have noticed huge differences in playback performance and quality amoing various cd player software. Winamp and Musicmatch seem to be the best, especially for playing my thousands of MP3's. You might also want to make sure digital music playback and dma is selected under your cd drive's properties in device manager.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
CA739836
Message 11 of 13 (213 Views)

Nero DriveSpeed anyone? Included in the demo package of Nero 5.5 if anyone cares to try it. It allows you to set the Read speed from 1X upto the max speed of the drive. And it does work, and a must if you want to hear the music, rather than the drive motor (and vibration if any).

I disagree with the general comments about desktop CD-ROM drives, some of those are noisier than a washing machine out of balance. For example, Pioneer have a DVD-ROM utility for Windows that includes a Speed Control Utility, and allows Performance and Audio Extraction speed settings. And even with laptop drives noise seems to be drive specific. I have 2 Matsushita SR-8175-C DVD drives (both in HP Omnibooks, both manufactured within a month of each other), and one sounds like its going to take off when playing a DVD, the other is fairly quiet.

Overall I've found Toshiba optical drives to be quieter.
There's my 2 cents worth...

Paul K
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 12 of 13 (213 Views)

Toshiba has always produced quality products at a fair price. I just purchased a 27" Toshiba 27AF42 TV. This set has excellent vertical/horizontal geometry (plus or minus 0.05"), convergence, and purity (no color spot with a white background). If you want a very accurate color decoder, then you should check out this set at your Sears store. Yes, Sears will price match! If you don't care about these factors, then go with the Sony KV27FS100.

F.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CA893513
Message 13 of 13 (213 Views)

Anyone ever have to deal with Toshiba support ?? How are they ?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation