Pavillion N5150 SHuts down (68 Views)
Occasional Visitor
ralph miller
Message 1 of 6 (68 Views)

Pavillion N5150 SHuts down

For about one week , My N5150 with ME windows shuts down. I thought it was one of the latest virus, but they do not effect ME. I ran the tools anyway and my antivirus detected nothing. I have had the unit for 3 years and this has been the first time. I also checked hybernbation settings. I am out of thoughts. ANy suggestions. I did notcie that my battery life has gone down to less than an hour. I also removed the battery from the unit and tried the direct power cord. My las thought is maybe it is overheating. Has anyone else had a problem?
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Jared_16
Message 2 of 6 (68 Views)

Re: Pavillion N5150 SHuts down

you didn't exactly provide much information about what is happening. How soon does it shutdown after starting the notebook? what tasks are you performing when the shutdown occurs? have you tried disabling all the startup items and rebooting to see if the problem goes away? is your anti-virus up to date and has the latest signature files? have you installed an anti-trojan horse program and checked your system? What items appear in the task manager when you do a Ctrl Alt Del once?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ralph miller
Message 3 of 6 (68 Views)

Thanks... I did run the latest Norton ANtivirus Definition twice, Ran the latest TOOLS for Welchia, Blaster etc, (Eventhough they apparently did not effect ME). I can be online, I can be in WOrd or just idle and the system shuts down. The time could be 10 minutes or 15 minutes. it is not a set time. However, it has always been over 10 minutes. For the last three days, I have tried every option with hybernation and shutdown without any success. I wonder if it is a power cord issue?
ALso, the last software I upgraded was a renewal for one year of Norton. No other software has been loaded in weeks.
I will look whats in my startup when I get home.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Jared_16
Message 4 of 6 (68 Views)

It does sound like a overheating problem then, but, you should also install a real anti-trojan horse program. Download a trial versions from http://www.anti-trojan.net/en/, update the definitions, and run it on your system. It could only really be a power problem if your battery doesn't hold a charge and there is something wrong with your AC adapter, the power cable to the notebook or the charging/power circuit in the notebook.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ralph miller
Message 5 of 6 (68 Views)

Thanks... we will try that tonight
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Opjose
Message 6 of 6 (68 Views)

Over time the "wet" contact pad between the northbridge chip and the heat sink tends to seperate and degrade.

It may be time to replace it.

Also clean out your vents.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation