Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS (HP Pavilion dv6700) video card/drivers (4478 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Joey Douglas
Message 1 of 6 (4,478 Views)

Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS (HP Pavilion dv6700) video card/drivers

Hi,

I noticed when playing video games online via wireless laptop I would get an occasional to rare 4-5 second screen blackout...at first I thought it was simply lag...then I thought it was the video card or video drivers.

So I updated my video drivers using Nvidia's website for the Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS. After, I restarted the computer to finish the installation, my computer frequently crashed video-wise. I also get frequent warnings my display driver or adapter failed but recently recovered & I get frequent screen blackouts & screen glitches.

So I went back to Nvidia where they referred me to download HP's version of the latest video driver for the 8400 GS for this notebook over there own latest video driver. So, I downloaded HP's video driver version for this video card & installed it. However, I am still having the same problems.

Finally, I noticed my screen blackouts might have been due to a new driver needed for my Atheros built in wireless device as described on HP's website...so I downloaded that driver update.

I just wish I never messed with updating the video driver as this has screwed my computer. Is there anyway to go back to the OEM original video driver I had so this problem is resolved? I bought my laptop in 1/2009 so whatever driver I had then probably worked fine. Or maybe theres something else causing the problem but I do not know what. All I know is as soon as I updated video driver through Nvidia my computer has been glitching nonstop.

I have also scanned computer for viruses etc...w/latest Norton Antivirus & got a clean bill of PC healt...so please give me some advice on what to do....thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joey Douglas
Message 2 of 6 (4,445 Views)

Re: Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS (HP Pavilion dv6700) video card/drivers

FYI - I am running windows vista home premium edition (32bit) & I purchased laptop 1/2008 not 2009 as mentioned previously
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Darmal Ali
Message 3 of 6 (4,445 Views)

try download from this link

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42001-42500/sp42201.exe

hopefully this help...
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 4 of 6 (4,445 Views)

Use HP Recovery Manager,see Reinstall specific drivers or applications:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809678&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3552675&rul...〈=en
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joey Douglas
Message 5 of 6 (4,445 Views)

I recently HP screwed me over by selling me a defective video card...this is not a software issue but it is a hardware issue

HP is selling defective video cards by nvidia...I know the Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS is defective after reading up on it

So far HP has been unwilling to issue a recall or refund
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BobF1
Message 6 of 6 (3,959 Views)

OK, it's murder. I've been through it all. MS, HP, and even driver FREE software will continually overlay your drivers that work. It's frustrating. It will even bring your system down and damage your PC and lose your restore ability. It's really bad. What happens is MS constantly, like now, gets NVIDIA drivers for Win8, 7, and Vista, XP, etc., and then doesn't make them always back compatible. Since HP makes gazillion different models, it's hurting HP's reputation.

Here's a way out. Go and stop MS from updating, check the updates, and don't do NVIDIA. After you find the right driver, do a hard restore in case. Do a protection for user and not with administrator login to protect yourself. With me, I finally got tired of it all and use a common VGA driver with my HD Samsung and, though at a lower level of res, 1024 x 800 and a slightly distorted in width, I get use to it. I'm bypassing the features of the GEFORCE 8400 GS but then again I just use it for backups. Anything getting over 3 years old in hardware, watch out. I think they do this on purpose sometimes to get you to buy a new PC and their new OS's all the time. http://eprocs.com

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation