N3370 Hard drive & BIOS problem (88 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Craig Steiner
Message 1 of 6 (88 Views)

N3370 Hard drive & BIOS problem

[ Edited ]

I have an N3370. I am trying to upgrade its hard drive to a SimpleTech STI-HD2.5/40SL 40MB hard drive. This same hard drive has worked fine in an HP ZE1230.

When I install the new hard drive, the N3370 just sits there forever at the "Auto detecting IDE devices" and never comes back.

I read somewhere that perhaps the BIOS was old enough to not be able to handle a 40GB hard drive. So I searched for N3370 on the HP website and found the BIOS entry "HP Pavillion Notebook N3310, N3330, N3350, N3370, N34XX Bios" file pdi2k121.exe which is supposed to have version 1.21 of the BIOS (my N3370 currently has 1.12).

I downloaded that program, ran in which created \hpnotebook\bios and ran the BIOS program which successfully created a bootable floppy disk. I boot the floppy and get to a screen warning me about interrupting the process, etc. and I hit "C" to continue. It then comes back abnd says "upgrade is for the hp pavillion notebook di only". What in the world? I downloaded the program that HP says is for my laptop and it tells me that it's not for my laptop when I try to run it?

Basically, my goal here is to make my 40GB hard drive work on the N3370. If I can do that without upgrading my BIOS all the better. But to download the file that HP says is for my laptop and then be told that it's for "DI only" (whatever that is) is quite annoying.

Can anyone help me on this?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Windows based to Notebook PCs - Pavilions, Presario.
-HP Forum Moderator

Occasional Advisor
Craig Steiner
Message 2 of 6 (88 Views)

Re: N3370 Hard drive & BIOS problem

Additional information: N3370 seems to work fine with 20GB hard drive, but not 40GB. What's the difference?

Original questions still stand. 1) How to make N3370 work with 40GB hard drive. 2) How to upgrade the BIOS if that is necessary since the BIOS upgrade provided on HP website refuses to upgrade my DE.M1.12 BIOS.

Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 3 of 6 (88 Views)

In the box that the drive came in there should be a floppy with their EZ-drive program on it. You just boot on a regular floppy until you get the A:> prompt then stick in the EZ-drive floppy and type ezdrive. That should fake out your BIOS so that it works with drives bigger than 32M.

If you didn't get a floppy you can probably download it from:

http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:tt1b5E4UW7wJ:www.storagedrivers.com/drivers/65/65618.htm+ezdriv...

You will need to register but it is free.

Ron
Occasional Advisor
Craig Steiner
Message 4 of 6 (88 Views)

Thanks, Ron, but when the 40GB hard drive is installed the machine won't boot past the "Detecting IDE Devices" phase. I can't even get into the BIOS configuration let alone boot from a floppy drive.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 5 of 6 (88 Views)

Go into the BIOS setup and change the boot order so that it boots from Drive A: first.

Ron
Occasional Visitor
Jorge_121
Message 6 of 6 (88 Views)

hi, craig, i´ve had this problem too, if u want to boot, you must to entry in the bios (if it still works)and in the advanced options of the HDD (i dont remember the exact target) uncheck the option HDC controler (or something so) that will cause that the bios dont search the HDD then you can easyly boot from yor disk.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.