Microphone issues dv9005/Conexant HD audio (324 Views)
Frequent Advisor
MJMurray
Message 1 of 31 (324 Views)

Microphone issues dv9005/Conexant HD audio

Whenever I use either the integrated microphone or an external microphone with my dv9005us laptop the audio is low and almost completely drowned out by static/hiss. I've gone through all the usual solutions (uninstalled/updated drivers, searched online knowledge base solutions, Google, etc.) but none have worked.

I'm running Windows MCE 2005 as my OS. Supposedly that is the same as Win XP, but I have noticed that some features are not available. In particular, one of the KB solutions for Win XP says to go to the Voice tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices under control panel and click on the *Advanced* button under Voice Recording -- however, that button is grayed out on my system! Does anyone have a workaround? I suspect that my problem is a software configuration issue, but I'm running out of ideas.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Prakash Chandra
Message 2 of 31 (324 Views)

Re: Microphone issues dv9005/Conexant HD audio

MJMurray,

Let's try following steps :
Step 1: Check with by saveing the file in different audio formats and play with different audio player

Step 2: HP and Compaq PCs - Resolving Microphone and Line-In Problems

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=bph07158

Step 2: BIOS update from HP

"Enlighten self-Interest"
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MJMurray
Message 3 of 31 (324 Views)

Dear Prakash Chandra,

Thank you for your reply. Let me respond to your suggestions:

1. I do not have a problem with the laptop sound. It works perfectly fine and plays all sorts of media and CDs/DVDs without problems.

2. I have already gone through all the HP troubleshooting procedures that are outlined in the hyperlink you sent. In fact, it is precisely because I can not enable the "Microphone Boost" option under the "Fixing feedback, noise and static problems" section of that procedure that I posted this message.

3. Do you really think updating the BIOS will solve the problem? A brief survey of other support forums indicates that this is not a unique problem. Other users with different models of the dv-series as well as the L2310CU and V3203TU laptops have also reported similar problems.

I believe that the issue is related to either the Conexant HD driver, or the chip itself that is installed in these laptops. Furthermore, given that it is not an isolated problem, it seems to me that HP needs to take a more pro-active approach to solving the problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Daniel CY Wong
Message 4 of 31 (324 Views)

Murray,

I have manage to get my microphone on my Presario V3203TU working. Loaded new versions of the Conexant drivers for XP.
Try this at let me know if it works.

1) Go to HP site type the SPxxxxx in the search box to locate your corresponding files.

2) Download SP32646 (Microsoft Universal Audio Arch Bus Driver)

3) For Presario V3000 and Pavilion DV2000 series download SP33543 (Conexant ver 3.25.00 driver for XP)
For Presario V6000, Pavilion DV6000 and DV9000 series download SP34200 (Conexant ver 3.26.0.0 driver for XP)

4) Execute or double click on SP32646.exe file that you have downloaded

5) Go to Start - Setting - Control Panel - Add and Remove programs - Remove Conexant HD Audio

6) When your system reboots you will not have any sound.(Do not be ALARM, you have deleted the Audio driver). Your system will indicate "New Hardware Found". Go ahead and install the new hardware. Do a manual installation for driver location. Browse to the SP33543 or SP34200 file that you have downloaded. Click next and let the installation continue.

7) When the system reboots, your audio should be working. Do a test by going to Sound Recorder at Start - All Programs - Accessories - Entertainment - Sound Recorder

Tested mine on Sound Recorder and Skype and it works. (Do not be surprise f the green line on the sound recorder is not moving, but it works)

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MJMurray
Message 5 of 31 (324 Views)

Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I also appreciate your persistence in trying to solve the problem.

I followed your suggestions, but I still have the same issue: the microphone records, but the sound is drowned out by background static/hiss.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a "Microphone Boost" option available from Start>Control Panel>Sound and Audio devices>Voice>Voice recording>Advanced? On my system the "Advanced" button is grayed out, so I can't get to the Microphone Boost option.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Prakash Chandra
Message 6 of 31 (324 Views)

Hi MJMurray !
I regret for delay reply.I infer that the notebook have hardware issue since you have done all the troubleshooting steps also Daniel added very import driver.

You can contact HP to get the notebook repair.
"Enlighten self-Interest"
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MJMurray
Message 7 of 31 (329 Views)

Prakash,

Thanks for your reply. However, I'm reluctant to agree that this is a hardware problem for the following reasons:

1. HP's troubleshooting documentation indicates that I should be able to activate the "Microphone Boost" feature on my laptop, but when I follow the path the button is grayed out. That sounds more like a software issue.

2. My wife has a different laptop (HP L2310CU) running WinXP, and it has the same problem. I find it difficult to believe that we have both experienced the same hardware failure.

3. If you scan other HP support forums you will find that several other users have experienced the same problem, especially those with the dv-9000 series laptops. If it is a hardware problem, then it sounds like it is a design flaw with these laptops. However, several users who have had their laptops serviced reported that the problem still remains.

I know I'm not an expert on this, but the evidence I've seen so far continues to lead me to the conclusion that this is a driver issue and not a hardware issue.

If you have a different perspective, I'd enjoy hearing what you think.

MJM
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Allen Hansen
Message 8 of 31 (329 Views)

I posted an answer to another msg you left but you may not be watching it. Since then I have helped a few DV8300 series users by having them install an older ver of the XPdriver available for Dv 8000 series. The same ver number 3.23.0 for the DV 9000 series is sp33410.exe from 08/2006. The driver for DV 8000's has resolved the audio problems for Vista upgrade users on DV 8300's even though it is an XP driver. It should be worth a try using the DV 9000 one for your problem.
Don't live in the past, keep moving forward.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MJMurray
Message 9 of 31 (329 Views)

Allen,

Thanks for your suggestion. I did see your response in another forum, and I downloaded and installed that driver. However, it did not solve the problem.

The problem boils down to this: the AUDIO on my laptop works fine. It is the RECORDING function that is not working well. Based on what I have gleaned from HP tech support and other users, to solve the recording problem I need to enable the Microphone Boost. However, on my system the path to Microphone Boost is grayed out. So I can't increase the gain, and thus the recordings have a lot of background noise/hiss. It makes using either the built-in or an external microphone useless.

Finally, my wife's laptop (HP L2310CU) also has this problem. My system is running Win XP MCE 2002 SP2, and my wife's system is running Win XP SP2. Apart from application software like MS Office, the only thing these two systems have in common is the Conexant HD Audio chip, which is why I'm convinced it is either a driver issue or a design issue and not a "hardware failure".
Please use plain text.
Advisor
S_Singh
Message 10 of 31 (329 Views)

Hello everyone,

I am having the same microphone problem using my HP Pavilion DV6058cl laptop on Windows XP SP2.

There are lots of static/hiss/glitches noises when trying to record something either from the internal or external mic. The rest of the sound output is working perfectly fine. Also there is no mic boost option available for me as well.

Kindly help if anyone gets a solution for this. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 11 of 31 (379 Views)

I don't think Microphone Gain control will solve the problem. I believe it is already on by default. Go here:

Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices > Audio > In the Sound Recording section (where the Advanced button is greyed out), select the Volume button > place a checkmark in the box under "Microphone", then select Options > Advanced Controls.

Now there is an Advanced button under Microphone. Select the Advanced button and you'll see the Microphone Boost control (already selected).

I use an external USB microphone on my dv2000. I've found that if I plug into the USB port on the left side of the laptop, I get a lot of static, but if I plug into one of the USB ports on the right side (towards the back of the machine), I get better quality recording.

julie
Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 12 of 31 (379 Views)

Correction: Microphone Gain - meant to say Microphone Boost.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MJMurray
Message 13 of 31 (379 Views)

Prof Julie,

Thanks for your suggestion, but I've already been down that path in another forum. Without going into all the details, I'm attaching the final screenshots.

If you want to checkout the full thread from the other forum, you can find it here:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=437658
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 14 of 31 (379 Views)

I am familiar with the screens on the screenshot you posted because that's what my screens look like too. But when you get to the Recording Control screen, Select Options at the TOP of the page (just under the heading "Recording Control), then select Advanced Options.

When you do that, you'll see an Advanced button under Microphone and you can select that button and get to Microphone Boost.

julie
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 15 of 31 (379 Views)

Okay, I didn't look close enough at your picture. I see now what you are talking about.

Strange that Advanced Controls has a check by it but you do not have access to the Advanced button. I wonder if this could be solved somewhere in the registry?

julie
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MJMurray
Message 16 of 31 (379 Views)

Julie,

Maybe I'm confused, but the screenshot I posted does show what happened when I clicked on the Options keyword under "Recording Control" -- Advanced Controls is grayed out.

Also, I'm not sure but it looks like you are running Vista? The problem that I (and several others) am having is with WinXP.

I appreciate your help, and I hope that I'm overlooking something simple in your instructions.

Thanks,

MJM
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MJMurray
Message 17 of 31 (379 Views)

One other observation: I noticed that in your control panel you have an icon labeled "Smart Audio". That may have something to do with the missing Microphone Boost option; one of the respondents in another forum also mentioned it, but since it's missing on my system I figured it was something to do with Vista. If you are not running Vista, then perhaps we should pursue that option?

Mike
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 18 of 31 (379 Views)

My laptop runss Windows XP home edition (SP2). Honestly, I don't really know what the Smart Audio does. It does not have many options.

There are only two buttons: Voice Enhancement button provides three options:

No enhancement
Voice Recognition/Recording
Speakerphone/Internet Telephony

An Information button shows the following info:

Audio Driver Version: 3.21.0.0
Codec Model: CNXT20551
SmartAudio Version: 001.003.012.000
Language: English (there is a down arrow where I could select from many different languages)

That's it.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 19 of 31 (379 Views)

Well, I looked at my other Pavilion laptop - a dv6119us, which is running Win XP media center. It does not have Smart Audio and there is no way to select the Advanced Controls option on this machine.

julie
Please use plain text.
Advisor
S_Singh
Message 20 of 31 (379 Views)

Prof Julie,

Thanks for your help and advise.

But I have SmartAudio installed on my Windows XP SP2 and still could not get the advanced button to show up under microphone. Maybe you are right, its something to do with the registry.

And I am not sure either that getting this advanced button and microphone boost back will get rid of the static/hiss/glitches noises which is the main problem.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
S_Singh
Message 21 of 31 (321 Views)

Prof Julie,

Also if microphone is working fine in your pavilion laptops, could you please provide the drivers used for audio from your c:\SWSETUP\Audio

This might be helpful as I just checked that my original driver version is a step ahead of yours !

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Greg T
Message 22 of 31 (321 Views)

MJ, I came to the forums to fix my DV2000 Webcam, after fixing it i tried to record sounds, Bizzarely enough encountering the same problem as yourself, after a tinkered around with my Laptop i resolved the issue and came back to see if i could help you out. So here goes, Go into Volume Options > Select Properties > Where it shows Mixer Devices click the arrow to drop down the box and select "HD Audio Input" then Click Ok. You Volume Options will have temp changed. You will have a choice of CD Audio - Microphone - Wave out Mix, Select Wave Out Mix click ok and you're done. I hope this works for you.

Greg
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MJMurray
Message 23 of 31 (321 Views)

Greg,

Thanks for your interest in solving this problem. When I follow the steps you described, I still end up with the "Advanced Controls" grayed out and no way to enable the Microphone Boost option. So I'm not sure how you were able to solve the problem with your system.

Here is what I have:

HP Pavilion dv9005us
AMD Turion64x2 (TL-50)
WinXP (running as MCE 2002 SP2)
MS UUA bus driver 5.10.0.5010, 3/5/2004
Conexant HD audio driver 3.23.0.0, 6/13/2006

I tried updating drivers to no avail (i.e., it didn't solve the problem), so I am currently using the drivers that were initially installed on this laptop when I purchased it. If you (or anyone who HAS solved the problem) are using a different set of drivers, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
Please use plain text.
Advisor
S_Singh
Message 24 of 31 (321 Views)

Greg,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried selecting the Wave Out Mix option. But after selecting this option, the input voice from either the internal or external mic is totally silent when tried with Sound Recorder.

Are you using Wave Out Mix option for your recordings ? If yes, which drivers are you using ?

I have a HP Pavilion dv6058cl, AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-52 running Windows XP SP2. Have tried almost all driver versions available.

Any help in this regard would be truely appreciated as we are badly stuck with this mic problem and can't get this to work.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Percival Ojastro
Message 25 of 31 (321 Views)

Hello everyone,

I am also experiencing the same microphone problem as what MJMurray has. But this problem have just started when I upgraded my OS from XP MCE to Vista Home premium recently.

Is there someone who can help me figuring how to solve this out on Vista?

By the way, my notebook is presario v3133TU which is also using the conexant HD audio driver.

Thank you all very much.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation