Keyboard ribbon cable clip broken (4369 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Chris_691
Message 1 of 7 (4,369 Views)

Keyboard ribbon cable clip broken

Thanks to the users of this forum I was able to fix a problem with my PCA power supply. However, despite my attempt and using a light touch, the clip on the mobo for the keyboard ribbon cable is broken. Can I just get a clip or am I SOL?
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (4,369 Views)

Re: Keyboard ribbon cable clip broken

Please describe what is broken. Is the broken piece a separate clip or part of the motherboard? It might be possible to find a clip but a bit of a long shot. I know HP does not sell that part separately. If the keyboard cable cannot be connected firmly to the motherboard it might be possible to fix it one last time by soldering it in place carefully.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 3 of 7 (4,369 Views)

Since you posted this question on Notebook PCs - Pavilion, I assume that it is a Pavilion series of notebook.

If I am correct, then this special clip is a push-on plastic part that could be separated from the main keyboard connector. It looks like a T with a small hooks at each end.

You pull this clip up carefully to release the pressure between the Keyboard ribbon cable and keyboard connector so that you can remove the keyboard ribbon cable and in turn remove the keyboard completely from the motherboard.

Steve is right on. HP/Compaq will not sell you this small clip. You should be okay to insert back the keyboard ribbon cable into this connector but you can not be sure it will not get loose later.

If you have any computer junk yard in your area, I bet you can find it on some of the motherboards. If not, then

What is the model number of the Pavilion notebook ?

If I am lucky, maybe I can find one from a broken motherboard for you (no guarantee from this part of Great White North).
Occasional Advisor
Chris_691
Message 4 of 7 (4,369 Views)

My apologies....this is an Omnibook 6000. I am in the wrong forum. I will post to the correct forum.
Occasional Visitor
Wael Sayej
Message 5 of 7 (4,369 Views)

Hi everyone, I have a very similar problem with my HP Pavillion DV1000. I took out the motherboard to fix the DC power adapter. In the process, I broke the movable white clip that holds the keyboard cable to the motherboard. I am calling every computer repair shop in my area without success of finding anyone with a replacement for it. I even bought two used motherboards to replace mine but neither one of them worked.... ebay.. what can I say.

If anyone knows where to get one of these clips, please let me know. Thank you.
Occasional Visitor
crewserwr
Message 6 of 7 (4,071 Views)

I have a pavilion DV7-3065 and the keyboard ribbon cable disintegrated. Anyone have a part for it or have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Occasional Visitor
DeanHigh
Message 7 of 7 (3,370 Views)

Ok. Here's what happened. I installed a new motherboard in my V2402US Compaq Presario after I had installed a new keyboard and souped it up with 4 gigs of memory. I even thought I might buy a faster processor.

As it turned out, the second time that I pulled that keyboard ribbon clip out of the motherboard, it disintegrated.

Just like the rest of you, I can't find a tiny little 5 cent part to save my beloved computer.

Fortunately, I got a great deal on a pair of Presario CQ60s at Best Buy for little more than $200 each (brand new).

I can hardly wait to see how it goes from here.

On the up side, the same  version of a Hewlitt-Packard would have cost me more than $500 each compared with the CQ60 Presarios.

So what can I say?

I got much more processor speed, much more memory and, so far, nothing has gone wrong other than the reason I got these so cheap in the Compaq brand (oversensitive mouse) and a display screen that I was a bit too brutal with while wiping it down (I have two big blue splotches from where I guess that I pressed too hard with my paper towels). At least, I don't have cooling system troubles like I did with the V2402US (so far).

I'm about ready to use Super Glue on that darn Keyboard Ribbon.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.