Re: HP dv6700 - WLAN driver issue when downgrading to XP (306 Views)
Occasional Visitor
KM Kanth
Message 26 of 49 (310 Views)

Re: HP dv6700 - WLAN driver issue when downgrading to XP

Hi,

Cheryl: Thank you very much for your help. It is a really great procedure. I followed the procedure and most of them working, except webcam and dvd player. Dvd player is asking for a dvd decorder. There is no webcam in the device manager.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Kmkanth.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jeff Collins
Message 27 of 49 (310 Views)

The dvd coder is pretty easy to get you have to do that in opperating system stuff like getting a n vidia dvd decoter their like 20 bucks or a roxio or somthing like that

I just logged on to try the athroes driver that cheryl posted i hope it works cause i still have not successfully found the correct driver lol

any way thanks for every ones help and if you keep this thread you will definitly find out that you will be able to do this on a few more machines cause alot of these chippsets are the same i just did an intell dv6000 yesterday.

the intell dv6000s are so much eesier than the amd dv6000s for sure
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jeff Collins
Message 28 of 49 (310 Views)

Hey Cheryl that was the correct athroes driver good look out you found what i was definitly unable to find

Now i have a complete duel BOOT

Windows XP pro/Windows vista Ultimate 64 bit

dv6815nr with every driver in xp and on vista

Thanks alot and if their is any one else that has any more questions i am always fixing latpops and most are always dv series laptops

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Greg Morrison
Message 29 of 49 (310 Views)

I just found this thread yesterday, and Cheryl and Jeff certainly offered helpful info. I think I have a similar setup as Jeff mentioned... I have the dv6815nr at least...

I'm still having some problems with missing and failed drivers.

1) The f18(?) fix didn't make the 1394/firewire register in the DM correctly, but I haven't had a chance to test since Radio Shack no longer carries much of any firewire plugs anymore!

2) I had the Ethernet working yesterday, but after I did some other stuff my broadband connection has flaked out. (I'm on wi-fi which did work because of the 5007 type driver.) It's like the broadband modem tries to connect and then fails repeatedly. Now, I just have "limited or no conn.", so I can't get online that way at all. I tried re-installing the NVIDIA drivers, but all 3 drivers give me an error msg of "(other) drivers not found (for your system.)" Do I need to go hunt down and remove NVIDIA driver files now or...?

There's more I need to fix, but the broadband/Ethernet is the big one I want fixed.

Thanks for eall the info so far!
Greg
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Greg Morrison
Message 30 of 49 (310 Views)

3)Another thing is that my graphics resolution maxes out at 1024 by 768 pixels. Again, I wish I could find a more appropriate (NVIDIA?) driver.

4)I have something under "Other devices" which is in the DM listed as "unknown device", and none of the drivers on this page seem to help with that. )I don't think that it's the card reader for example.)

More background:
I reinstalled Win XP Pro, and the only visible effect that had was knocking out the audio and having to re-register the OS. MY desktop/profile is still apparently as it was last night. (I'll try redoing the whole 2-step of UUA and then Conextant drivers...)

I tried switching out the modem's CAT5 cable, but that had no effect on trying to get the broadband/Ehternet working, so I don't think that it's my hardware.

Thanks for reading!
Greg
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jeff Collins
Message 31 of 49 (324 Views)

wow it toattoly looks like you are having some serious problems what dv6000 is it ?

i had a dv600 that had the same resolution problem abd it was the wrong driver i probly still have the driver some whare in my archives of dv drivers

what is the vidio driver and what does it say on the sticker might s n vidia n force ???? and thats how you find the driver for that vidio

you have a vidio driver but trust me it is the wrong driver ?

did you get the sound to work right ?

AMD too Right ?

i think the problem your having is that the chippset is just not exatcly what you need

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Greg Morrison
Message 32 of 49 (324 Views)

Jeff,

I'm posting here in the hopes that others might have some good ideas to add. Thanks for your interest in my predicament. Sadly, I haven't made much progress. The driver which you linked me to was rejected when I tried to increase the screen resolution, so that is still at 1024 by 768 pixels at maximum.

Due to disabling and re-enabing the wireless and ethernet cards, I have received temporary 'net access. The thing is that the connection randomly drops, so that certainly needs fixing as it's unreliable. (After dropping, sometimes I get a 678 error i.e. "remote server not found". Apparently, something causes the connection to drop and then it's blocked from further attempts.)

Plus, the other stuff such as the firewire and video drivers still need fixing, but those are lower priorities than the broadband connection.

I'm also wondering if I need software to get back into Vista which is one the 1st partition. When I boot the laptop, it just goes straight into XP Pro.)

Any further help is appreciated,
Greg

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 33 of 49 (324 Views)

Greg

Use VistaBootPro to restore dual-boot after XP Install.Look at the last section on this page "Create a Vista Dual Boot Menu":

http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about88231.html

http://tinyurl.com/55qfzr

VistaBootPro download link is at top of the page.
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 34 of 49 (324 Views)

Nvidia Graphics:

http://tinyurl.com/2q6ss4

OR>>>Nvidia Graphics:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14302

Download the driver and modded inf.Run the driver program which will extract the files to your hard drive.Next download the modified INF file and place it in the directory where you extracted the driver files overwriting the INF file.Run the installer and it will use the modified INF file.

------------
"Unknown" is
.Net Framework:

http://tinyurl.com/758p8

Quick Launch(requires.NET):

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp38001-38500/sp38171.exe
``````````````````````
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jeff Collins
Message 35 of 49 (324 Views)

Hi again well tomarrow when i get my laptop on i will e mail you the exact chipset file and i know that one will work

as for the duel boot system yes the boot loader will work but you do not need to worry if you whiped the drive built 2 partitions the vista does it its self

if you have a 160 then your partition number is this

79230 create that number and you will be good to go

by the way it is the best way to reformat both of the opperating system sorry to sday but do not use the original vista cd that dell gave you nor do you use the f11 partition get rid of that

take a oem version of vista home and i garontee you will like the vista side of the laptop

and you are having all of those problem i am having such a problem answering these quistions without having the laptop in front of me to see exactly what the opperating system is doing

another thing is it is very weird that chryls links didnt work i definitly know the atheroes driver does for the dv6700

did you alreadfy whipe the other side of the drive ?

i forgot to tell you the trick lol i was soo busy (hehe building a duel bootdv6000)

I will definitly say the intell dv6000s are a cake waqlk in putting xp on them but the amd are a serious battle but far more better when you succesfully get all of the correct drivers

the reason why it is soo hard to do is becuase amd needs the exact chipset for that exact vidio card

intell most of the time does it all in one driver foir like 50 different laptops

but for the amd laptops their much more hard to set up but it definitly can be done for sure

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_630a_winxp2k_14.10.html

i am positive this is the chippsett driver that worked for me

now this is for a dv9000 but it is the same thing
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3548480〈=en

now you might have the 650i and not the 650 a just depends on if you have the 128mb vidio card or the 256 here is the 256 vidio driver
http://www.nvidia.com/content/license/location_download_nvidia_us.asp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fus.download.n...

now these are threrads i keep in my driver folders from whare i find these drivers the funny thing is cheryl is a total bad ass lol cuase she is on this thread too
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do;HP-FORUMS-S-WPA-IDX=H1yZpLdB...!945137251!-128961253?threadId=1172046&admit=109447626+1199551065774+28353475

thats whare i founf the chippset
and is the driections on how to do the audio and belive me you have to do this with every amd laptop why i dont know but you just do

I know you can get this done cause i got every thing to work on myne with the resurch i have do ne you should be able to do it

\

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Greg Morrison
Message 36 of 49 (324 Views)

I'm back on wi-fi for now....

Cheryl,

Your driver plus modded .inf worked like a charm! I'm now working in 1280 x 800!!! Fantastic.

I also installed Framework 2.0 only, so the "unknown device" is still there, but I have some of your notes, so I will get back to that eventually.

Apparently, given just those two driver changes, I'm now back to the perpetually cycling broadband modem. The PC to DSL modem connection just keeps restarting and stopping endlessly.

-----------

Jeff,

I just saw your response, and I will read and study that as well. I _really_ want to get the ethernet working. All the other stuff is secondary at this point.

...at this point, these work:
--Graphics (resolution/modes)
--(analog) Audio
--Wireless connection (although I might have had the wrong driver... actually I just replaced that with one specifically for AR5006X, so I don't know if that is giving the DSL modem problems via interfering with some NVIDIA hardware?)

some of what's left to fix is:
broadband/DSL/ethernet
1394/firewire

I d/l'ed the dual-boot software, but I will leave that for last....

Thank you both Jeff and Cheryl for your ongoing assistance. I feel like I'm making progress here! :-)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
KM Kanth
Message 37 of 49 (324 Views)

Hi,
Thankyou for your help. I found solutions for the webcam and dvd player in this site's other forums and followed the procedures. Now everything is working in my laptop.
Thank you for your help.
Kmkanth.
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 38 of 49 (324 Views)

Greg
On some of the models with dedicated Nvidia video card,the alternate Nvidia Chipset works better to install ethernet.

Nvidia Chipset Driver 520/560,install first and reboot.If offered,choose the option to install ONLY the drivers_none of the extra utilities/software.

http://tinyurl.com/27ode2
``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jeff Collins
Message 39 of 49 (324 Views)

Thats great gregg you will not be needing any duel boot softwhare as long as you got rid of the entire drive and are going to reload the vista if you made a new partition or somthing then you will have to get one of those but if you put the xp on first your good to go just run the vista when you get the xp part done up
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Greg Morrison
Message 40 of 49 (324 Views)

I don't know much longer my connection will hold, so I will just thank you for the 520/560 driver. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Greg
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Greg Morrison
Message 41 of 49 (306 Views)

It's still a bit early to say for certain, but my connection problems appear to be unrelated to driver installation. I suspected something else... I just got through talking to my ISP, and then I went to Best Buy and bought a new DSL modem. My suspicions seem to be confirmed since I have been able to get online via broadband using either of my HP laptops.

From this, it seems that the 630a driver was the correct one after all! Now, I just have to fix the 1394/firewire connection, but that and the dual-boot program will still be left for later. (BTW, I didn't have a reason to delete anything, so I didn't.)

Cheryl, you said that we should rollback using the f1.8 driver to fix the firewire issue? For all I know, that might work now, but any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for the assistance!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Greg Morrison
Message 42 of 49 (306 Views)

I finally decided to tackle my firewire/BIOS issue (noted by a dreaded yellow question mark in the DM!)

Well, I searched out and found a recent thread for DV6810US XP Drivers and went from there.

Apparently, I never properly attempted to flash the BIOS, but I did it today. After the laptop rebooted, I got the fireworks of various notices of new hardware found. My firewire is back online!!

Now my DM is pretty much up-to-speed, and I can finally get back to testing and _using_ my audio recording gear.

Thanks again Cheryl G.!!!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
S Gobin
Message 43 of 49 (306 Views)

Hi all, especially Cheryl G,

I have the same problem as Dodo TotallyDodo.

I downgraded my machine from Vista to XP and followed a guide in the forum provided by Cheryl G to get almost everything working.

Right now I have two devices not working:
Network controller and Unknow device. I did a bit of research and found that my wireless card is : Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945BG Network Connection. I searched HP's website and found a driver for it, tried to install it but it still wouldn't work.
This is the link for the driver I found

Intel Wireless:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp38001-38500/sp38439.exe

As for the unknown device I installed .Net frame work as suggested by Cheryl G, but still nothing.

.Net Framework:

http://tinyurl.com/758p8

I have uninstalled the devices and rebooted with the laptop connected to my LAN. It found new hardware, but when I tried to use Windows Update to upgrade the drivers, they still wouldn't upgrade.

I believe I have tried all the possible solutions posted in this forum to date without any success. Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated.

My laptop specs:
Product: HP Pavilion dv6700
s/n: CNF8126MJ3
p/n: KN948UA
Service tag : dv6818ca
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jeff Collins
Message 44 of 49 (306 Views)

torsten do you have a intell chippset or a amd ? i know you are missing the chippset net framework is going to do nothing for you i know this cause i am a mast in duel boot systems

go to the device manager then go to display driver and tell me what that is and tell me what exactly the cpu that you have be it a amd tl62 or tl60 or t7500 intell any thing in that asspect thnx

you probly have the athrose reciever that what i had and i got it working and the link is on this thread i think

I also had a dv6700

it was a dv6718nr i think you have the intell i had the amd but i sold it once i set it up in duel boot ?

oh and what n vidia display driver do you have ?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
matthew lombardo
Message 45 of 49 (306 Views)

I have same model dv6700, I got all the drivers except the network controller, can't get wireless i tried the broadcom & the intel still nothing..someone please help!
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 46 of 49 (306 Views)

Try Atheros Ar5007:

http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?atheros=AR5006EG&system=1
``````````````````````
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
matthew lombardo
Message 47 of 49 (306 Views)

sorry I lied i saw dv6700 under the laptop the exact model number is a dv6830us..I've tried both the broadcom & intel( and the intel is even listed under support & drivers for XP) still no luck...i don't know if any of that makes a difference however i will try the other driver but i thought you said its only for if you have an AMD chip
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jeff Collins
Message 48 of 49 (306 Views)

Try that athros driver i bet thats what you have in their
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dave_84
Message 49 of 49 (306 Views)

I had similar issues with HP Pavilion 6700.
Finally I pulled the power and the battery undid the screws on the centre back panel. There is a network card under there with 2 wires attached. I undid the two screws that secure that card and found that the nic can flop around in there quite freely. I pulled the nic and reseated it. Put things back together and It is now working.
Not sure if this will help your situation but it seemed to work in this case. good luck
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation