HP dv6000 laptop start-up problems. (1274 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Th f
Message 251 of 262 (1,364 Views)

Re: HP dv6000 laptop start-up problems.

I have the same laptop dv 6000 with the same start up problem. No video, just blue LEDs AND no disk spin. Have anyone had the same problem? I'm thinking of reflowing the gpu with my rework station but I don't know if it worths a try because of the disk.. I mean if it is only a gpu problem, reflowing might resolve it. But if there is also a hard disk controller problem or something similar I don't know what else to do. I checked the disk in a sata USB case and it works fine..
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
armestrng1
Message 252 of 262 (1,364 Views)

I have a compaq presario v6719nr. It powers off when it gets hot an will not turn back on unless I hold it up to an air condition vent. I've taken the laptop apart and cleaned out vent but no help. I downloaded a Bios update from HP but no such luck. Looks like HP/Compaq doesn't care about their product after they get their money. Oh well. I stoop to getting a another brand this time.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Wharris27
Message 253 of 262 (1,364 Views)

I had the same problem with my Pavillian dv9700 notebook. I tried just about everything with no luck...Drivers, Bios, Default System Config.. Take the battery out.
But I managed to get it to work by connecting it to an external monitor using the rgb port. The desktop appaired on the external monitor, I then lanched the NVIDIA Control Panel, and configured it for multiple displays. After rebooting , the laptop screen work like normal. I unpluged the external monitor and everything was fine. I shutdown the laptop, closed the lid, and turned on the laptop and the same thing happened again,
(BLACK SCREEN) HELP HELP HELP !!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
cmacit
Message 254 of 262 (1,364 Views)

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 (dv6815nr to be exact) that died recently. When I pushed the power button, the blue LED lights would all blink, then it would shut down, then it would try to power up (lights blinking), then shut down -- over and over and over again. During this sequence, there was nothing on the screen. The initial diagnosis was that I needed a new motherboard ($200-$300). I was ready to throw the laptop in the trash, when I came across a company in NY (http://www.avonpcpitstop.com/). Long story short, they specialize in fixing laptops with the NVIDIA graphics defect (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10000910-64.html), which might be affecting your laptop. $70 plus $17 (FedEx) and I got my laptop back in less than a week. I would email them and at least get their thoughts on your problem. I highly recommend them.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Th f
Message 255 of 262 (1,364 Views)

Hello i just managed to fix my laptop..
i was having issues with no video, no hard disk spin AND NO WIRELESS (this one was for the last 6-7 months.) I took apart the laptop, insulated everything except of the gpu. With my rework station i reflowed then the gpu and put everything back. Then powered it on and BAM it worked!!Even the wifi card!!!If you have issues go buy a heating gun and give it a try.. there are many videos on the net for this.. Plus dont forget to put a copper shim pad between the gpu and heatsink to fill the gap..the original pad seems to lose its thermal transfer characteristics after a lot of use so you need to replace it. Speedfan now says GPU: 50-52. I think its ok for a laptop that i thought it was dead!!!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
bret
Message 256 of 262 (1,364 Views)

has anyone considered filing a class action suit against HP on this model? there are posts that are 5 years old here, someone should just complaint against HP and force a recall of this model laptop. i have worked on 4 now with all the same issues. 3 are still in service and one is still in the "loop" mode, and it seems there are plenty of "dead" dv6000 parts machines to be had, all with this same "looping" issue
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ill_1
Message 257 of 262 (1,364 Views)

It is clear that HP dv6000 has major defects. Multiply that with atrocious customer service(CS) and you get a truly substandard vendor and nightmarish experience when things go wrong. Here is my story (similar with many already posted, but with a twist - courtesy HP CS). As many of you had, me too had a privilege to experience HP db6000 sudden death and failure to start problem. Quick search yield an ample evidence of the "known issue" type problem. Contacted HP CS; product is out of warranty (typically always the case). However, since this is a known issue linked to a faulty Motherboard(MB), HP agreed to replace a MB free of charge. Nice!!! Or so I thought. 2 weeks after I sent out the machine I received a courtesy call from HP CS informing me that MB was successfully replaced. However, the existing wireless card (WC) is not working with the new MB. Would I like the WC to be replaced as well. Sure! Ok, then there is a charge for this replacement (roughly $200). What!?! You can't be serious! How is my problem that the existing WC doesn't work with new MB?!? And there we went back and forth, ending up sending back my machine with original and not functioning WC! Again a week or so escalating issue against HP CS. Finally a break through, they agreed to send a replacement WC - Free of Charge! Wonderful! Or so I though. Laptop had worked for a little over a year since then. Then one day it lost wireless connection, and no matter what position WC external switch was in, it kept giving out orange (not active) light. One doesn't have to be a genius to figure out what is not working - WC! Ta'hell with WC, by that time I was using it as my print/file server, so switching to wired connection instead of dealing with HP CS was next logical step. This story did not a happily (as many dv6000 stories). About a week ago, machine died the same death it once did - Fails To Start! Call to HP CS yield nothing but reassurance:
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
robin wenz
Message 258 of 262 (1,364 Views)

I'm not sure what operating system that is - but a few years ago i bought a Compaq 2 exact same models (for my son and myself) and both had horrible operating issues including over heating. I hated Vista. Lo and Behold, I got rid of Vista and used XP and almost all the problems I had resolved!! It's operating system problems. You can download from Cnet and other places software to help control the fan - make it run faster when it begins to overheat. A final note - that notebook had about 3 mother board replacements and nothing worked until I changed the operating system :)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Robert Maughan
Message 259 of 262 (1,364 Views)

I have two DV6449 Pavilions and they are both having problems. The first one has no internal WIFI, no battery indicator, and no numbers lock led. Found the the cmos battery bad so I replaced it. I have to remove the cmos battery, the laptop battery and then power it up with AC adaptor loosing all the cmos clock info. I plug everything back in and set the date and its dead again. I also noticed that the sd card reader lied stays on then it starts cycling the power. The second one is dead cycles on and offwith no bios screen. Started having display issues before it died. The display would break up in to lines then power itself down
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
markrawcliffe
Message 260 of 262 (1,364 Views)

I've got one, and will try the hairdryer soon.

From reading everything though the lesson is clear: -

Whenever you want to buy something, google as if you already did and then it broke.

Unless you buy stuff on launch day, you should be OK. In fact if you buy stuff on launch day it's probably another brand, in which case you'll be OK anyway.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Petetheman
Message 261 of 262 (1,364 Views)

The problem is that the motherboard is overheating usually at the video chip. I had the same problem, put another motherboard in and it overheated within a month. HP laptops are JUNK and I will never buy another HP or Compaq product again. They all seem to run too hot.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
frustrated_inUP
Message 262 of 262 (1,177 Views)

I wish someone would start a class action suit as I now have a dead dv6449 on my hands - problems with wireless first then death - won't boot up, as many, many others have indicated
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation