HP Pavilion dv9000 Intel motherboard problems (2020 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jason Burden
Message 201 of 232 (1,466 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv9000 Intel motherboard problems

dv 9000, intel duo, nvidia 7600

same problem as everyone else.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Stacey Jean L.
Message 202 of 232 (1,466 Views)

Hey everyone:
I called the Case Managers to get a hold of my Case Manager. I got another woman, but she was nice. I explained to her that the laptop would get so hot it would burn the fingers, and I had to buy an extra mouse. I told her that I never smothered the fan, and that I did everything I could to keep it cool. Including limit my usage of it. She escalated my case to the Risk and Regulatory department of Hewlett-Packard. I have finished speaking with them, and now they want to evaluate my laptop to see "who is responsible for the costs." I'm more than sure they aren't going to let HP take responsibility, but we'll see. If and when they send it back without repairing it, I'll simply try again.
-Stacey
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
muso17
Message 203 of 232 (1,466 Views)

hp dv6710ea bought from play.com in march 2008. suddenly switched off while browsing & will not switch on again. After consultation with other repair shops, a network engineer & speaking to HP support,they all agreed that the motherboard had died. quoted £260 to replace. HP engineer agreed that the life was short but said in 99% of cases of this nature outwith warranty, they would not replace it. Following a conversation therafter with customer services, his opinion was confirmed. I have used this at home only, on a suitable laptop table with ample air circulation. Laptop now going to be sold for spares on ebay after costing me £500 , 20 months ago. I bought a Toshiba with a 3 year warranty today.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ruzmir Kabiljagic
Message 204 of 232 (1,466 Views)

Add this model on list HP dv 9700
Intel core duo,Nvidia chip 8600 GS
1 year and 5 mont's
Internal screen not working,External still can work normaly,
9700 series is not listed att all for extended waranty and i have this product number KL086AV
I got mine from USA but i am in Netherland now
I will try to contact service to see what they will say
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Kenia
Message 205 of 232 (1,466 Views)

Hi , I have the same problem with nvidia and the motherboard. My laptop is a dv9275la and was purchased on the 25 of Feb of 2007. I don't know if it is wise to get it repaired if it's just gonna get fried a few months from now. It's not like I have $400 to spare. If I get it fixed I want it to last, but I guess that most likely will not be the case. I can't believe they can get away with this.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Linda Krell
Message 206 of 232 (1,466 Views)

I just got off the phone with HP customer service and got the same results as so many of you. We are sorry Ma'am but your PC is out of warrantee and for the small introductory price of 49.95 we will telephone troubleshoot . for $99 we will let you send it in so we can tell you it is broke. And oh yes, you will still pay labor and parts to have another defective motherboard and nvidea chip installed.

I have a DV9260NR that will only show video through the external VGA and at that it is 4 bit 640. I cannot get the unit to complete a boot cycle, it only went to safe mode one time (and of course I did not get to download my data) and now after reloading a complete new Windows Vista 64 at the recommendation of a local tech support, it still will not boot. Luckily, I was able to pull one of the drives and get data recover done so I have my files.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Nicholas Cho
Message 207 of 232 (1,497 Views)

Call (877) 917-4380 ext. 08 and talk to the case manager. After several attempts and telling them that no customer should pay for faulty hardware, they agreed to give me an extended warranty on my HP Pavilion DV9530T so call now and get it fixed for free!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
George Nader
Message 208 of 232 (1,497 Views)

Same here DV6451 US motherboard crashed . Apparently HP have knowledge that they are selling defective products but they dont cnty are about the consumer. The BS enhanced warranty is just a way to cover their behind. They have no intention of fixing our laptops so when you call you get the I am sorry but we gave you an extended warranty but it expired last moth. Emailed the CEO they assigned my case to a case manager but like the rest of you The case manager a John C informed me that they have no intention of fixing the laptop for free and it would cost me couple hundred dollars. I told him I am not willing to give HP one more cent of my money and this is the second HP laptop I have that the motherboard went.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ruzmir Kabiljagic
Message 209 of 232 (1,796 Views)

OK guys all of you who dont have any waranty on laptop and dont want to pay 400+ UDS for "NEW" (read Repared) MBO you need to get 4 things :screwdriver,Flux spray ( for contact revitalising),Heat Gun , and thermal past, (all together will cost you 20-30 USD)
Slow step by step take out MBO and just use flux spray to put some flux under GPU ( grafic procesor)Make some cover from aluminium foly(put 3-4 layers) and make hole close to the size of that GPU to protect rest of the elements on bors and all plastic stuff on it then reheat GPU for 4-5 minn on 250-300 Celsius from distance of 10-15 centimeters using Heat Gun(dont come closer because you can blow off some small elements from MBO) and after that put alot of thermal past on GPU and CPU and put all together back.
Any1 with anycinde of tehnical expirience can do that in 1-2 hours and who dont have any expirience will need to be lil bit more careful and use lil bit more time but its easy and you can finde alot of videos on Youtube about this problem.
I will post some what i use for preparing for this job
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJlgPbELL0E&feature=related

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctHTF3oNdxI&feature=related

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgTbkTK2iwk&feature=related

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2z2FqZusjY&feature=related

5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8L3B3eDr0&NR=1

6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLLBTpUiCuY&feature=related

Ah yes I fixed mine and i using it now.
One more thing try to get Cooling Pad for Laptop that will save him from owerheating and get some GPU core monitor ( Cool laltop that he dont go ower 75 C

That is all from me good luck forr all of you
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jas Doshi
Message 210 of 232 (1,801 Views)

DV9843 w/Intel Centrino + NVIDIA 8600

Tech people: I have a question. I am being told on one side that this is an easy fix with a shimmy and a cleaning and some arctic compound. On the other hand I am told that my GPU may be beyond an easy fix and I will need a new motherboard. How do I know if the fix will work? By trying it? I am afraid if I try it, and finally win my case with HP, they won't fix it because I tried to fix it on my own....
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Cynthia Grove
Message 211 of 232 (1,802 Views)

I have had my DV9700 for about 16 months and now it won't turn on. The lights flash, but nothing happens. HP will gladly sell me a new motherboard for $299.99, but the computer isn't even worth that plus labor to install it anymore. I have a EliteBook 6930p for work ,and I get the blue screen after the computer comes out of hybernation. That computer is also on its way out and it isn't even a year old. Ya know, I went with HP because my Dell computer's battery died after 9 months.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Siniša Čulić
Message 212 of 232 (1,802 Views)

Reply to Jas Doshi

You can fix your GPU relatively easy you just need some aluminum and a heat blower,,, you even have movies on the internet. just type into Google motherboard fixing heat fan or sun sopt geforce that will bring you to the right track.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
mlittle1105
Message 213 of 232 (1,802 Views)

I am having the same issues as described in this thread. The laptop (Pavillion dv9420us) that I shelled out $1200 for 2.5 years ago is completely dead and useless.

I submitted a handful of inquiries to HP back when it was still covered under warranty, and was constantly given the runaround. Spent hours chatting with support personnel who had me performing various tasks such as removing the battery pack and re-seating the RAM... as if the issue had ANYTHING to do with RAM.

Because my problems were documented (but not properly addressed by HP) when the unit was still under warranty, I am hopeful that they will perform the necessary repairs for me free of charge. But it sounds like its going to take a good deal of time and effort for me to get them to do anything about it.

I'll keep you all posted on how things turn out.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Silvio Duarte
Message 214 of 232 (1,802 Views)

For many years I have trusted and bought several stuff from HP... Then I had the same problem with my HP dv9000 laptop. As I'm seeing that HP is moving NOTHING to recall the clients of this evident manufacturing defect.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
PFoley
Message 215 of 232 (1,802 Views)

Do you get the feeling you're not the only one with this problem:

HP knows about the motherboard problem will not assist if off warrenty. Can't help you with fixing it because I'm fighting HP over the same issue right now.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Kaen Mogonye
Message 216 of 232 (1,806 Views)

I have a HP Pavilion dv9230us Notebook PC Entertainment PC with Intel Centrino Duo and NVIDIA Geforce Go 7600 grapics. My system is almost 3 years old and have the same issue people with the AMD/NVIDIA with overheating and not updating. I got with HP and they had me update my BIOS but within a week of the update the graphics card goes out. Now I am told by HP that I have to pay to have it repaired because the warrenty and service enhancement covers the AMD products and not the intel units. The more I read the more I believe that HP needs to re-evaluate the units that they will repair at no cost to the consumer. Has anyone had any luck at getting the point across to HP?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Hugo Cobian
Message 217 of 232 (2,530 Views)

In my case, Issue has been fixed (by me, not HP support). I had the same problems that most of u guys had and before I continue to say how I fixed it, I want to describe the problem I detected or symptoms as best I can because what I did is kind of risky and may not apply to all of your issues. My laptop crashed in the middle of call of duty 5 and after not responding, I did an unexpected reboot(held power button for more than 10 seconds); after this my Laptopâ s display just lighted up but with a black screen and after like 40seconds it restarted it self every time. Narrowed it down to my graphics card (GPU GeForce Go7600) that it was not functioning correctly so I hooked up a second monitor trough VGA output and was able to see anything lower the 4bit resolution (but with lines like corrupted image) so I was able to enter in safe mode, safe mode gives low resolution and every time I tried any other resolution higher than 4bits it crashed. Let me say I did mostly everythingâ ¦ reinstalled drivers, reformat disk and new MS® windows installation, flashed Bios on mother board, flashed GPU card (risky too), took apart, drained residual energy from capacitors on board, dropped it on the floor, checked cables for electrical continuity and so onâ ¦ but same thingâ ¦ no video on display but all other buttons lighted up like the ones for volume and I could hear hard drives and fans working. The theory out there on the web is that from all the heat this laptop generates, it caused some pins on the GPU to un-solder; since the GPU pins are unreachable to us mortals, I had to apply direct heat to the back of the mother board with at 200watt light bulb to melt soldering son pins could make contact. I took a chance in frying GPU but then again, (could be bad desing in GPU, laptop hardness ventilation, fan design, etc..) but I paid over 1600 dlls for this laptop and paid an extra 400dlls to have it fixed for same issue around 2 years after I bough it; sadly to say the issue occurred once again and I will not pay another 300dlls to have it fixed because its not worth it to pay this amount every year because this is a known issue that has not been properly addressed. Thanks for your time
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Apostolos Papadopoulos
Message 218 of 232 (2,530 Views)

[ Edited ]

add me to the list

From Greece-Kavala
papadopoulos Apostolos
Hp Pavilion dv9542ev
S/N XXXXXXXXXX (For your security, I have removed the serial number from your post - that's information you probably don't want to make publicly available. - HP Forum Moderator)
P/N GU132EA

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Paul Carvell
Message 219 of 232 (2,958 Views)

I have a dv9720ea which has developed the familair pattern signs people have been indicating here: boot failures, video problems, driver and BIOS issues.

I'm just starting with HP in the UK and they are taking their time to commit to anything or contact me back.
It will be interesting to see what their reply is - I had the usual form e-mail to tell me that my 20 month old machine was out of warranty. Strange that because I told them it was in the e-mail I sent them......

I'll repost as I hear from them.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Pete Privitera
Message 220 of 232 (2,958 Views)

Hello Guys,
I been fixing a lot of these DV series laptops at my shop. I made a video on how you can fix your blank video problems yourself pretty much for FREE.
The did a how to video, on how to take it apart and fix it with things you will have at home
I have the videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkQNmKauEc

All the best,
-Pete
Rebootit.biz
Youtube Channel Mixcatcom
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Brian Goodie
Message 221 of 232 (2,958 Views)

I have a DV9920 with the Nvidia chip as well and 14 months later the thing died. It was on stand-by mode and the screen went blank and I noticed the system was very hot to the touch. I always have a prop on it so the fan has room to breath since the design on this system was poor for fan exhaust. I can start the system up but just get a black screen on the LCD but can hook-up to an external monitor and use the system, but that defeats the purpose of being a laptop. I use this for school and I really need it during classes. Luckily it didn't happen while I had an excel course. This is obviously a known defect between the GPU and system board but HP is telling us consumers to screw off and they will make their money with new customers. I contacted tech support in which they offered a great $500 fix. Yeah, screw that. It's great to vent but HP really needs to take better care of their customers and produce products that actually will last for 3-4 years. Also, what is up with no phone support unless under warranty? That's faulty in itself.
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 222 of 232 (2,958 Views)

Same Problem.
Dv9521ei

I noticed that a couple of you have had your laptops repaired for free, who can I contact in South Africa from HP about this?

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
lotfi axel
Message 223 of 232 (2,958 Views)

Hi there, let me first explain what happened

The problem is because of a defected graphic chip and nothing else. the graphic chip is soldered onto the motherboard so in sum it is a motherboard issue.

How this happened:
the graphic chip over the time overheated
then caused the solder to melt then bridge.

How to fix this issue:
the graphic chip needs to be reballed
meaning the soldering replaced underneath by a professional that actually does it. such as parcel guru in the UK.
the heatsink needs to be cleaned from dust, and extra copper plates added.

How about reflow?
reflow fix only delays the problem. many repair shops do offer fixing this problem via reflow (using hot air gun or oven) this only lasts 2 to 5 weeks before it happens again, so beware of who offers hp graphic repair.

who we are?
We're Parcel Guru the experts in graphic chip replacement, we've been fixing hp laptops with 3 beeps problem and black screen problem for over 3 years with 95% success rate, the only way to fix this is by an expensive motherboard replacement (must be done by hp) or via a reball (by us)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dude Man
Message 224 of 232 (2,912 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had/have this issue and posted several times more than a year ago. Sad to see HP has done absolutely nothing to date to take care of their (former) customers. As an IT professional I continue to slam HP on a daily basis and we've had several bids for projects where I work and I am happy to say that HP has lost every single one. I can't claim responsibility for all of that, but am glad to say we have 2 HP alpha boxes remaining and once they are retired over the next year, we will have 0 HP products...Sad, because in reality their server hardware is probably better than the alternative vendor we have, but the way they treat regular end users customers leaves a lot to be desired.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 225 of 232 (3,060 Views)

Nvidia is replacing many of these laptops>>Questions regarding the proposed NVIDIA GPU settlement

Check your model here>>>http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation