Re: HP-DV1000 CTO need to factory reset / restore - no disks, no F8 option (100 Views)
Occasional Contributor
joyfule
Message 1 of 2 (123 Views)

HP-DV1000 CTO need to factory reset / restore - no disks, no F8 option

Hi - I have a DV1000 pavilion laptop.  Windows XP.  The IT guy messed a few things up and I want to reset to factory and a destructive restore (really clean up the hard drive and registry).

It was purchased before 2006 so instructions in HP support don't work.  Computer doesn't appear to have a partitioned drive for the operating software (maybe it's hidden?).  I do NOT have the rescue or one-time backup discs.  I do have the windows xp operationg system and a driver disc.

Note:

System restore under Help men only goes back a few months and I don't see a place for a destructive restore

Help section doesn't appear to have a "tools" section to refer to.

Tried tapping function keys at startup but:

F12 is not functional at all

F10 only brings up the BIOS with NO option to restore

F8 only brings up whether to start windows in safe mode, last known good configuration which isn't far enough back etc

Is there any way to do the destructive recovery/restore?  If necessary with the windows xp system disc and drivers disc.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 2 of 2 (100 Views)

Re: HP-DV1000 CTO need to factory reset / restore - no disks, no F8 option

Enter BIOS and check to see if CD drive is set as first boot device. If not move it into first position,Save & exit BIOS.Boot with the XP cd. Choose Install. Format the hard drive and go through the installation. All old files should be gone and you have a clean install. Boot into Windows, use your driver/software cd to install.

``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation