Re: Failure of USB ports (70 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Amit Gairola
Message 1 of 10 (70 Views)

Failure of USB ports

Hi,
I have an HP DV1170EA laptop and the USB ports have stopped working. None of them work. I cannot use a mouse also. This just happened out of the blue without any warning.

I tried un-installing the USB drivers through the driver manager and re-installing them again. During the Scan for New Hardware, all the drivers were re-installed. Not able to figure out what could be the problem.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 2 of 10 (70 Views)

Re: Failure of USB ports

Hi Amit
After you uninstalled all the USB in the Device manager, did you re-boot the computer. You must do this to completely uninstall. You say 'During the scan for new hardware', you don't have to scan as after the re-boot the system will simply find them and say 'found new hardware', and then tell you when it is installed 'your new hardware is installed".
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Amit Gairola
Message 3 of 10 (70 Views)

I did reboot the laptop and the problem still persists. I have three USB ports and none seem to be working.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Amit Gairola
Message 4 of 10 (70 Views)

The other issue I am facing is that the Touchpad is also not working. I tried to install the Synaptics driver but it doesnt work.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Amit Gairola
Message 5 of 10 (70 Views)

Hi Jules,
I did what you said. Un-installed the USB drivers and then did a reboot. As you said, the USB drivers were installed and they appear in the Device Manager. But the USB ports still do not work. I am worried if the USB controller on the motherboard has gone bad!
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 6 of 10 (70 Views)

In Device manager, have you rt clicked on the USB hub's installed and confirmed in the general settings the message "This device is working properly".

What are you using to test your USB ports. Maybe that testing device is faulty.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Amit Gairola
Message 7 of 10 (70 Views)

Hi Jules,
In the Device Manager, I checked the property for all the USB Root Hubs and USB ports and it said that the device is working properly. I tested my USB ports using a USB mouse which works on other laptops properly. Only on this one, this doesnt work. Nor does the Synaptics touchpad work. So I cannot "Click" anywhere...and have to use the keyboard for navigation.

Regards
Amit
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 8 of 10 (70 Views)

Have you seen this help sheet about USB ports.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00035365&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...〈=en&product=456955

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Amit Gairola
Message 9 of 10 (70 Views)

Hi Jules,
Thanks for your help. I tried that as well. Unchecked the option under Power Management but USB ports simply wouldnt work.

Regards,
Amit
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 10 of 10 (70 Views)

Well, the last thing I can suggest is that you do a windows 'system restore' back to before the problem happened. Hopefully you have system restore turned on.
If this fails, you could save all your data and do a 'destructive recovery' back to factory settings with your HP recovery disks.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation