Factory recovery discs/FBI Gui Manager recovery failure (5279 Views)
Advisor
Austin W
Message 1 of 54 (5,279 Views)

Factory recovery discs/FBI Gui Manager recovery failure

Hi Cheryl,

You appear to be very very knowledgable. I have called technical support a few times, and they have no answers and want me to ship the laptop into service to fix my problem. I'll run my issue by you in case you have any information that could help me out without having to part with my new laptop for a couple weeks.

Pavilion dv6000 series (dv6700t se)
sn: CNF80734QF
pn: GT813AV

Using your HP factory recovery discs, I have attempted to restore my notebook to its original state. (I had previously wiped the hard drive of the recovery partition.) The recovery process completes the drive and the file copy process, and successfully boots into Vista. At that point, the FBI Gui Manager process appears in my task bar and, over the next three hours, it slowly continues installing more software (drivers, and other prepackaged software, I presume). During this period it occasionally restarts the machine. After roughly three hours of this (and a total of about five hours), an error appears:

Recovery Manager

The recovery attempt has failed. Please select one of the following buttons:

Details
Retry

I click Retry and the following appears:

Please insert Support Sent Recovery Disc 1

and the whole process begins again.

If I click Details, I get the file "CTOERROR.FLG" containing what appears to be debug output. I was able to save it to my thumb drive so I will attach it for your reference.

Do you have any information on what is happening here and why the Recovery Process is dying during/near the end of the FBI Gui install process?

Thanks for looking.
Honored Contributor
Bobby Sledge
Message 2 of 54 (5,279 Views)

Re: Factory recovery discs/FBI Gui Manager recovery failure

Austin;

Based upon the log you appended to your post, it appears you have two problems.

1. The installation process is timing out because it is unable to complete a particular portion of the installation routine.

2. It appears that the failure occurs because of a bad installation disc, or because the optical drive is unable to read necessary data on one of the discs.

I suggest you contact HP and have them ship you another restore disc set.

Unfortunately, I know of know way to do a CRC check on the disks...

Advisor
Austin W
Message 3 of 54 (5,279 Views)

Ok, I've called and am having them send another set of discs. Thanks
Occasional Visitor
Danny Steinhoff
Message 4 of 54 (5,279 Views)

I have exactly the same problem. I have re-ordered the recovery discs from HP and received them for the second time (apparently this is the same set of disks). Still no luck... cannot install Vista.
Occasional Contributor
John B Yates
Message 5 of 54 (5,292 Views)

Me too! Same problem, but this is my second dv9700z notebook and 3rd set of restore dics. Still not working, tech support claims to have not heard of this problem and wants me to send the machine in for repair. I've got about 20+ hours into this mess, and I'm about ready to drop-kick the thing. I've got an HP printer with lousy drivers and software, too. I wonder if anyone there ever reads the forums to find out whats gooing on with their products?
Advisor
Austin W
Message 6 of 54 (5,292 Views)

Hi guys, since it appears others are still running into this issue I will tell you what I've done to workaround the problem.

First of all, yes, HP's recovery discs only work so far and then, after several hours of FBI process installations, the whole thing dies. Both sets of factory discs resulted in the same problems.

To fix this myself, rather than send in my new machine, I advise that you purchase a copy of Acronis True Image and have an external USB drive that is at least 6 or 8 gigs. (not sure exactly). this can include an ipod, a high capacity thumb drive, or an external hard drive, etc.

1. run the hp factory recovery disc
2. once it has completed and booted into vista, you'll notice the fbi process (there are actually two processes)
3. i would let it run for an hour or so, maybe two. the thing is you don't want it to get to the horrible point where you can no longer boot into vista, but you want it to get as close to that point as possible. It took me a couple tries, but I got it at a reasonable point.
4. once you've figured out a point before the fbi thing will completely screw you, you need to do the following:
5. Ctrl+Alt+Delete: bring up task manager and KILL KILL KILL both FBI processes.
6. Go into your C:>Program Files and there should be a folder called FBI or somethign like that. (it's been a few weeks and I cannot remember exactly). RENAME this folder.
NOTE: now you can reboot and the fbi processes will no longer autorun. You are safe to take as long as you want to complete the remaining steps.
8. You're gonna want to go into your Device Manager and figure out what devices are still not installed properly. Then visit your HP support page and download the pertinent drivers.
9. Once you've installed all the devices and everything seems to work great, I would reboot one last time, let Microsoft run it's auto update on the OS or whatever, then use the bootable True Image disc. Here's what to do. You'll need a sizeable usb drive (at least 6 gigs, maybe even larger, not sure)
10. insert the thumb drive and the acronis true image boot disc and boot up FROM THE DISC.
11. select the option of backing up your partition
12. proceed through the process and save the image onto your usb drive
13. i would take the time now to verify that your image is fine
14. now you can do whatever else you want to your laptop, expand your drives, do whatever and you will always have a fallback option that AVOIDS HP FACTORY RESTORE DISCS.

Good luck everyone. If you have questions, post them here. I am monitoring the thread.
Occasional Visitor
Danny Steinhoff
Message 7 of 54 (5,292 Views)

Thanks Austin!

I found a workaround too :-)

After running this neverending installation for an hour or two, I just opened the second disc (applications and drivers recovery) provided by HP. There is only one directory "Patch" on this disk. Select your OS type (x86 or x64) and just double-click the .bat file placed in the appropriate directory. I have no clue what it does, but after this FBI dies itself and windows loads normally :-)
Occasional Visitor
Jane Mitchell
Message 8 of 54 (5,292 Views)

I have a Pavilion notebook with Vista Home Premium. On my 4th attempt for a complete reformat, I met the FBI Gui Manager for the first time. The HP chat support technician refused to answer a simple question in regard to the length of time that is would take for this manager to do its part of the install. So, just for the sake of stubbornness, I started again at 8:00 p.m. and just left the machine running when I went to bed at 11:00. When I got up at 1:00 a.m., the screen was black, but the power button was blinking. I went back to bed in disgust, but checked again about 4:45 a.m. Wow! I had a new computer. For me, the answer was patience, patience. Now, all I need to do is remember my network password so I can get online with that thing.
This is all new to me, so this little tidbit may be useless to most people, but my dv9347cl runs so hot that my cooling pad couldn't keep it cool long enough to accomplish the install process and I had to put a table fan near the corner where the heat builds up. In fact, I had tried for several days to get this done, and when the windows install started, the machine shut down due to excessive heat.
HP Pro
Sanchertx
Message 9 of 54 (5,292 Views)

Hello, Sounds like you got a bad image on the recovery set. Since you have failed during recovery you shouldbe entitled for a new recovery set from HP. Call them up @ 1800 hp invent and request a new set. You may also want to run the HArd drive diagnostics under F10 to see if the HD passes.
Occasional Advisor
Theodore de Beer
Message 10 of 54 (5,291 Views)

Well I am stuck with the same/similar issue. I have a dv2840se laptop and since I got it I was unable to make recovery disks. I thought to use the recovery partition which returned shocking reults, numerous error messages, driver issues, etc. Since then I received 3 DVD disk sets, none of them work. What surprises me is that I have done the recovery process now a lot of times and strangely enough I get different results. Inter alia, winload.exe missing of corrupt, also ntkrnl.exe, lq...dll missing or corrupt, etc. Then the latest has been the dreaded CTOerror.flg file which indicated there is an post install issue and the package manager returned and error value of 3. I have also had a time where the pc goes into a loop and on the one occassion restarted every 24 seconds and the other time 2 min 42 secs. What I have done since to troubleshoot the problem, also note that I don't even get to the point where Vista has been installed or starts, the recovery process fails before that. It in fact says it has completed successfully then starts with the HP Software post installation process and after the 3rd restart event gives me the CTOerror.flg file. I have MD5 hashed of the DVDs, all come out with the same hash value, thus all the disks are defective or at least all have the same content. I have swapped out RAM, run diagnostics on the HDD with the built-in BIOS tool as well as the SAMSUNG tool. None of these report errors!? I have also taken out the DVD drive and used a different one, all with the same results. Error messages galore!! The only thing I have not been able to troubleshoot is the HDD, replace and attempt another recovery as I have had issues with Samsung HDDs before. What also surprises me is that if I install Vista by itself everything works OK, so logic follows that the post-install software scripts/software that HP includes on the disks are mucking up the recovery. Now in my case I have also booted with a live Linux CD and got to the SW_SETUP folder and copied to an external drive in an attempt to install the original content once Vista has installed successfully. Still in this process and have had numerous issues, drivers are not 32 bit, wrong version of the software, etc. The only conclusions I have is that the dual layer disks on which the recovery disks are written is not read correctly or the HDD is at fault. I have chatted numerous times on-line with HP tech support with very little specific help. The only help they offer is two fold. Send more recovery disks or send the laptop back to them. Logic also leads me to believe that even if I send them the pc and they use the same recovery disks they will also not fix the problems. I have also suggested that they make and send me disks they have actually made on this particular model, but I guess I am too small fry for them to go the extra step, the reason being that I have not been able to make recovery disks from the first day I tried. This post of course does not fix the problems we have it just raises more questions regarding the HP support. I am at the end of my wits, stuck in Iraq and with a laptop that does not work!! Unfortunately I am not a US resident so I am pretty much stuck and not in a position to send it back. When I get this thing figured out I will let you all know, but my gut feel tells me HP needs to step up to the plate and put more effort into making recovery disks that actually work and that are specific to a particular model, and test if the disks actually work - otherwise what is the point!?.

Here is my CTOerror.flg file!?
Offline QFE installation has issue...
QFE is required to install...
Create temp folders, c:\QFETmp and c:\sandbox...
Expand
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 6C22-74CE

Directory of c:\QFETmp

06/16/2008 02:56 PM .
06/16/2008 02:56 PM ..
02/06/2008 10:58 AM 478 Windows6.0-KB947880-x64-pkgProperties.txt
02/06/2008 10:53 AM 925,655 Windows6.0-KB947880-x64.cab
02/06/2008 10:58 AM 444 Windows6.0-KB947880-x64.xml
02/06/2008 10:56 AM 165,282 WSUSSCAN.cab
4 File(s) 1,091,859 bytes
2 Dir(s) 24,600,956,928 bytes free

Offline install ...

PkgMgr.exe returns for .
Result=FAILED

Delete temp folders...

Oh yes and last but not least the INFO.BOM file in the root of my unsuccessful attempts gives you some clues as to what software needs to be installed and in what order. Maybe I need to look more closely at this file and find more clues there!?
Occasional Visitor
sarab kukreja
Message 11 of 54 (5,141 Views)

i finally got the whole thing to work. I didnt do anything special, i just didnt touch anything at all, and let it do its thing and i made sure i KEPT THE AC POWER ADAPTER plugged in at all times, from beginning to end.
Occasional Visitor
Ramiseven
Message 12 of 54 (5,141 Views)

Hey guys,
I had the same problem as the original post, and all of the above might work but the easiest solution I found was delete the partition that's on the hard drive,
I popped a Vista CD in or XP or any software that works with partitions like partition magic and make your hard drive 1 single big partition, the computer thought there was one partition that's 30gb and that's where it was installing everything and it gets to a point where it tried to boot from that partition because there is nothing on the big partition. mmm I hope i didn't make this too confusing. but After I delete the little partition that's normally the recovery one. everything went smooth.
Thank you
Occasional Visitor
Mark Hoover
Message 13 of 54 (5,141 Views)

I purchased a HP Pavilion dv9823cl Notebook PC and experience exactly the same issue described above.

I received the HP System Recovery DVD's (Disk 1 & 2) today for case #8018359908

I've followed the directions and following install I see the FBI Gui Manager infinitely installing-rebooting.

In the FBI Gui Manager, the message reads
"Software is being installed
When complete, your system may automatically restart. Please do not turn off your computer during this process"

This compounds the already immensely frustrating experience with the HP Pavilion machines -
1) First the HP Pavilion Notebooks are instable in the first place which resulted in the hard drive, OS, or whatever crash to begin with.

2) HP didn't provide the disks to recover with the original product

3) Finally, after waiting for the disks to arrive by mail, I discover this issue with the FBI Gui Manager- again wasting my valuable time. And still I have purchased a HP Pavilion that has crashed within 6 months. .
Occasional Advisor
Theodore de Beer
Message 14 of 54 (5,141 Views)

Mark,

Read my post on this matter which I am sure you have. I resolved the issue by replacing the hard drive. The one I had was a Samsung 250GB. It checked out fine with the built in BIOS testing utility as well as a SAMSUNG HDD tool I downloaded. Both these tools as well as others I have tested the HDD with returned no errors, but after I replaced the HDD with another popular brand such as Seagate, WD or even Fujitsu resolved the issue. I was also of the opinion that the DVD disks were faulty. I tested RAM, the DVD drive, DVD disks, etc and when I finally replaced the HDD the issue was resolved. I am not suggesting that Samsung drives are inferior products I am just stating what worked for me and that I have had issues with three other Samsung drives before. As for your concern regarding the data loss follow the 11th commandment - thou shalt have a back-up :).
Occasional Visitor
tom3885
Message 15 of 54 (5,141 Views)

I repaired my 1 year old Pavilion dv9740us Notebook with all the same errors everyone here has. It's really easy actually. I just threw it against the wall, smashed it with a sledge hammer. Then I swept up all the little evenly spaced out pieces of the main board, video card, and monitor, keys, and lastly the HP logo and put them in a box. Sent it to Hp's California repair facility for repair. I told them that after speaking with their quality HP Support team that I took their advice and decided to restore it back to when they had it at the factory.....before it developed any problems.

Pavilion dv9740us spec sheet:

3GB
OS Vista
dual 320GB HHD
2 Recovery discs
Support- cheap labor
Quick player
BlueRay
Designer look
Replaced Mother Board

Occasional Visitor
Rose Carrosquilla
Message 16 of 54 (5,141 Views)

I have the HP6823us and after 8 months, the hard drive crapped out. HP sent another one plus recovery discs and I am in the process of doing my install. I am currently in the FBI GUI stage and this is all so depressing. If I can't get this reinstalled to where it should be, I'm gonna call and demand they pay to do it themselves. I can't be bothered wasting hours and hours of the little personal time I have.
Occasional Visitor
C Chandler
Message 17 of 54 (5,141 Views)

In case anyone is still floundering with this issue, I was able to resolve it by simply extending the partition on my drive to the full extent of the drive. For some reason, the HP restore disks had only created a 32G partition on my drive. After extending the partition and rebooting, FBI Gui Manager was able to continue on and finish.

Computer management -> Storage -> Disk Management -> right click the volume and select "Extend Volume..". It should be pretty self explanitory from there.
Occasional Advisor
Charly S
Message 18 of 54 (5,141 Views)

I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM, HELP PLEASE. (DV2500)

My HD deaded, so I bought a new WD hard drive.

Ordered recovery discs from HP.

tried the recovery, got the exact same error,
with this in the CTOERROR.FLG file:
LogFile4: C:\SYSTEM.SAV\video.log => FAILED

RESULT=FAILED

that was the only part that failed, although it did also have:
SKU & Models Region Check: WARNING MISMATCH

any idea what these mean ?

I called HP yesterday, said my motherboard was dead now.

WOW, OUT OF WARRANTY, GOOD JOB HP.
Advisor
Austin W
Message 19 of 54 (5,141 Views)

Hi Charly,

Yes, the restore discs are almost useless. No, you do not have a motherboard problem. A few people have suggested ways to get the restore disc process to work. I have tried a couple of them, but none have worked for me except the steps I listed in my reply dated Apr 28, 2008 20:53:39 GMT. You don't HAVE to image your machine with TrueImage or the like, but it will save you the endless headache of ever having to do this again. It will work but it is time consuming. Good luck.
Occasional Advisor
Charly S
Message 20 of 54 (5,141 Views)

Hi Austin,

I tried our resolution and it sees to work.

the computer is working, internet is working.

however, when i go to my computer, it shows 18gb free of 40gb (the wd hard drive i have is 160gb)

any way I can fix this ?

thanks so much, you are more help than hp support lol
Occasional Advisor
Charly S
Message 21 of 54 (5,148 Views)

I meant your resolution, not ours..
Advisor
Austin W
Message 22 of 54 (5,148 Views)

Glad to hear you've made it this far. Keep up the faith, there is a light at the end of this dismal tunnel.

At this point you need to expand the partition of your hard drive. To do this on Vista perform the following. If you are using XP, let me know and I can provide alternate steps that will get you there as well.

1. Click the Start button (windows button on your task bar)
2. Right click on Computer
3. Select Manage
4. In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management
5. You should now see Disk 0, CD-ROM-0 and so forth. Disk 0 is likely mapped to drive letter C. You should see that there is unpartitioned space associated with this drive. At this point, right-click on the drive area (where the drive letter appears) and choose Extend Volume.
6. Now you simply need to provide the amount of disk space you want to add; in most cases you will want to use the entire drive.
7. Proceed to complete this Extend wizard and when it's finished you will be able to use your entire hard drive space.

Let me know if you have any problems. Good luck.
Occasional Advisor
Charly S
Message 23 of 54 (5,148 Views)

wow Austin thank you very much, my laptop is like brand new, with fully working HD.

so much for the motherboard being screwed up (another cover up from HP)

I think I should send you a paypal payment or something for your kind help, let me know what I can do :)

thanks again.
Occasional Visitor
manni singh
Message 24 of 54 (5,148 Views)

Hi Guys,

I have a HP DV2610ca I'm having the same issues on a reinstallation. I have successfully killed the FBI GUI process and have also found that a folder on c:\ drive contains driver and program setup files for HP (including the trial software) I can even copy this onto an external USB harddrive.

The problem is everytime it restarts FBI GUI tries to take over. If I rename the folder with the FBI files then the computer will not load Vista.

Any help would be appreciated.

Manni
Advisor
Austin W
Message 25 of 54 (5,148 Views)

np charly, glad to help. if you really want to give away some money, donate to your local public radio station or something :D

manni, it's possible you are terminating the fbi processes too soon in the recovery process. you might need to let the thing run for like two hours before you kill the fbi processes and rename the folder. the computer will auto-reboot several times in that period of time. you just kind of have to pick a random time to kill the processes, but make sure you've waited a sufficient amount of time to get the core OS installed at the very least.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.