Control Fan Speed on Dv7-1100 series AMD? (3216 Views)
Occasional Contributor
notech
Message 1 of 8 (3,216 Views)
Accepted Solution

Control Fan Speed on Dv7-1100 series AMD?

This laptop is heating up pretty badly. Worse when plugged in. Has spiked as high as 78 deg while playing a game. Idle is usually around 50-60.

It's only a few months old, so unless it is defective, these temps may be normal for this mobo.

Board: Hewlett-Packard 30FC 01.54
Serial Number:XXXXXXX
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.21 07/18/2008

Don't see any bios settings to tweak the fan speed. It blows great on boot. I'd actually like it to blow that hard all the time if possible.

model #: dv7-1135nr

appreciate any help I can get. Speedfan doesn't recognize the fan at all.

Advisor
Rishan Holuwagoda
Message 2 of 8 (3,216 Views)

Re: Control Fan Speed on Dv7-1100 series AMD?

It could be defective heatsink thermal module. It has single heat pipe and double heat pipes respectively used on the Model A and Model B with the thermal dissipation efficiency.

If the thermal module defective even the fan works it doesnâ t transfer heat from processor to heatsink module. Try to change the heatsink. (Always use heat sink compound when installing a new heatsink)

Honored Contributor
James Hearron IT
Message 3 of 8 (3,216 Views)

That temperature seems fairly normal...it's a bit on the high end of normal but you should have any problems.

You could try a BIOS update:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-65602-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&os=2100&product=3795411
"Errors were made, others will be blamed.."
Occasional Contributor
notech
Message 4 of 8 (3,216 Views)

thank you for your replies. i didn't know there was an updated bios. I'm not having any of the issues that the bios resolves though.

Enhancements: Improves the security of pre-boot authentication (BIOS based) passwords by clearing data from volatile memory.
Fixes the description for the Factory Installed OS option in the F10 Setup Utility, which previously displayed incorrect information.

Is there anywhere to get a white sheet or more info on what the bios may fix?

Also, can you roll back an HP bios in case it causes new issues?

thank you so much for your quick responses.

the temp reading photo attached was just websurfing - not under any load.
Honored Contributor
James Hearron IT
Message 5 of 8 (3,216 Views)

There's no more information on the BIOS updates...But sometimes HP will include "hidden" updates that fix things...and it usually can't be rolled back using HP's software.
"Errors were made, others will be blamed.."
Occasional Contributor
notech
Message 6 of 8 (3,216 Views)

thx james. i tried googling reviews for that bios update, but none matching my series laptop.

i also have a dvd rom drive door that pops open randomly. may just have to send the laptop in to repair it. I don't really have course to do that if it's normal though. they've already offered to send a drive replacment, but i'm holding off for now. it's more of an irritation than anything. the drive burns and plays just fine.

Occasional Visitor
Ez Custom Computers
Message 7 of 8 (3,216 Views)

HP has always allowed the user to downgrade teh BIOS. You have to go back one version at a time though which is a pain. Next time you should look into stuff better like that. I have rolled back my BIOS everytime HP releases an update to BIOS because they usually make things worse!!

AMD m780G chipset have advanced SMBus interfaces that generally won't allow Vista operating systems to use manual overides. Best bet is to do what many people I have helped do, and that is to downgrade to XP. This way you can use a third party Fan controller/SMBus software utility. Speed fan works well, but you might have to manually configure it. There are other softwares available that do the same thing, I just can't think of the names!!
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 8 of 8 (3,216 Views)

I have a couple of DV9XXXUS and we put a targus fan base under them to keep the tempature down the keyboard is just warm to the touch with the fan base.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.