Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 sound card and Vista (1881 Views)
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 1 of 27 (1,881 Views)

Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 sound card and Vista

I have an HP Pavillion dv6700, with Windows Vista and the Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221 sound card. I can only record with microphone and there is no other recording input to choose from. I have right clicked on the speaker icon and then opened the recording devices. The only recording device listed is the microphone. I have clicked on the white space below the microphone listing and both "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" are checked. Conexant came out with an updated driver on May 12, 2008, which I found on HP's website (Driver Version 4.36.7.6.60A) but this did nothing to help. What I need for a recording device is "Stereo Mix" or "Wave". This sound card is not compatable with Vista. I even bought a USB sound card, but I only get the microphone listing with it also (I first disabled the Conexant and then enabled the USB sound card). I am working with an HP case manager, but so far we have not found a solution. I bought this computer primarily to record music. Can anybody help me?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 27 (1,881 Views)

Re: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 sound card and Vista

Sam, sorry to hear about that Alamo thing. Which usb sound card are you using? Xp and Vista have a generic usb sound driver which is dreck and you need to install the manufacturer's driver and maybe some additional audio software to get line in to function right. I record music to my laptop using a Creative Soundblaster pcmcia sound card and I also have an external soundblaster usb about the size of a pack of cigarettes that has a spdif out and line in that work fine for me. I use the true Creative driver and then the Creative Control Panel to control input and output.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 3 of 27 (1,898 Views)

Steve- Thank you for your comments. But a new Creative PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook Sound Card lists at $249.99 from Amazon (but they do list a refurbished one for $79.50). But the thing is I bought my Pavillion notebook to record music, and it came preloaded with Microsoft's Sound Recorder, which won't work with the sound card that was hardwired into the motherboard. Why should I have to spend at least $79.50 extra plus shipping to make my HP notebook do what it should be doing from the gitgo (and you didn't mention what model of computer and which operating system you are using, so even if I roll the dice and take a chance on the Sound Blaster it still might not work on my system, just like the USB sound card that I bought and which also didn't work)? A second suggested solution is to downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP. My computer came with Vista Home Premium, so I am not eligible for Microsoft's free downgrade, and according to my local computer shop it would cost me $225 to buy an XP licence and to have it installed, which is not a very good solution for a computer that cost $600 to begin with. From reading this support forum, both HP and Conexant have known about the incompatibility issue of the Conexant sound card and with the Vista operating system since at least late 2007, and have not only done nothing to correct it, but continue to sell computers with known defects.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 4 of 27 (1,898 Views)

Yeah it is a dilemna but your laptop will record sound, just from an analog mono microphone, not a stereo or digital line in input. My laptop is a Thinkpad T61 and I do have a pcmcia slot and am not sure you do. You still did not tell me what kind of usb sound card you bought, or whether you have tried the drivers and software specifically for that sound card or if you are relying on the generic usb sound drivers built in to Vista. I have one (Turtle Beach) that just has a digital out and no input. I use it for presentations because it is loud. I hate this expression but "it is what it is". You cannot do what you want to do with what you have so you are going to have to either get a different laptop or buy additional hardware for the one you have. I do not think HP represented that your laptop has a digital line in port. I do not think downgrading to Xp would make a wit of difference so you do not need to worry about that expense.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 5 of 27 (1,898 Views)

Steve- Once again thank you for your comments. Yes, I bought a generic plug and play USB sound card that was very cheap ($5.95) from a distributor through Amazon. As a plug and play device it does not have its own software and it is still using the same driver from Conexant. My computer, which is actually the Pavillion dv6810us (even though it is also identifieded as the dv6700 on both the front and the back) does not have a PCMCIA slot. It has an Express Card Slot, which HP says is the next generation of slots for laptops. Unfortunately there are almost no devices yet designed for Express Card slots. Yes, I can record from the microphone, but if I try to record music the quality is horrible ans scratchy, because the mike is also picking up all of the ambient background noises also, like the phone ringing and cars going by. And you are correct that HP did not represent that my computer would have digital line in port. But of the maybe the 12 computers I have owned, everyone except maybe the first Apple II plus (with 48k of memory)that I bought in 1981 has been capable of recording music. It is not something that a person would even question before buying a machine. It would be like buying a new car in the daytime that is equipped with headlights and later finding out they don't function and probably never will. I don't think that most car buyers would think to ask if the headlights worked or to consider the possibility that they never will.
I use a recording program called Free Hi-Q Recorder from Roemer Software. Roemer believes it is a Vista incompatility program and discusses this at http://www.roemersoftware.com/vista-recording-problem.html
Roemer also reports that USB sound cards are an option for desktops with Vista but USB sound cards are not working for Vista laptops, although PCMCIA sound cards might. So it is a Vista problem, and if HP would offer my a free downgrade from Vista to XP I take it in a heartbeat. I have been working with a HP case manager but he has been sick for several days so I haven't heard back from him. I have also spoken with HP support and had a long typing session with an HP support person. Her final solution was to try a complete system restore. But that would only bring the sound driver that originally came with the machine, and which I already know does not work. I know you have the most points for helping people on this forum, and I appreciate your advice. But I don't know if you work for HP. I have always been very happy with most HP products (except for several scanners). I bought my first HP41cv programmable calculator in 1983. I own several HP laser jet printers and they have performed impeccably. But I took my $600 economy stimulation check and apparently have purchased a $600 doorstop. I don't think I am being unreasonable but when HP calls a machine an Entertainment PC (it's printed right on the keyboard- HP Pavilion Entertainment PC)that I would reasonably believe that it could at least play and record music.
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 6 of 27 (1,898 Views)

I know next to nothing about recording on your laptop or mine,my music is ripped from cds.:)
The option of only mic for recording, I just wondered if there might be a possiblity to use the external mic port to hook up a device to record from?
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 7 of 27 (1,898 Views)

Sam, I feel for you man but it is a fact of life that only very few laptops will do what you need this to do. I work with a lot of DJs and music guys (and gals) and a lot of them use laptops but they all also use an external sound card of some sort for recording stuff to mix from. Cheryl is on to something, however, and I remember reading that the dv6700 is capable of working with a stereo mic array. I have also had a lot of luck with using the headphone jack on a device like an iPod or Walkman and using a double male cable with a male headphone jack on each end and plug that in to the mic port in a laptop. I have not done that with high quality music but usually things like voice recordings from telephone calls or dictation. You can create a .wav file and then use an editing program to make it into an .mp3. Other than that I am fresh out of ideas for you.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 8 of 27 (1,898 Views)

And by the way neither Cheryl nor I works for HP.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 9 of 27 (1,898 Views)

Amazing. I just today received a Windows update from Microsoft captioned Conexant- Audio- Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221. Whoopee, I thought, somebody up in Redmond, Washington finally listened and fixed my problem. I downloaded the update and then rebooted my computer (by the way, on reviewing my update history, it says this update was installed on 7/20/2008, even though today is 7/15/2008- how does that work?). Guess what? This update did not fix the problem of the Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 not being able to record anything except with the microphone. I don't know what problem it did correct, but it didn't correct the Windows Vista incompatibility problem with this sound card.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 10 of 27 (1,898 Views)

My HP case manager and 2 other HP support persons have not been able to solove this problem. But it is not just a HP problem. A MicroSoft support person sent me the link to a MS (not officially supported)forum
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?pageindex=3&siteid=1&postid=1005274&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=...
The missing stereo mix is also missing in Sony Vaio notebook s and dell notebooks running Vista. There is much talk in this forum that the manufacturers have deliberately disabled the stereo mix function at the behest of the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America). One posting shows an email from a Sony support person that says recording capabities have been disabled in Vista to prevent the possibility that people may use it to illegally record sound. It is not just Sony that have had to do it, but all manufacturers.
The RIAA maintains the position that any recording of any copyrighted works is a violation of copyright law and therefore illegal. However, the United States Supreme Court begged to differ with that viewpoint in Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984), also known as the Betamax case, when it ruled that the making of individual copies of complete television shows for purposes of timeshifting does not constitute copyright infringement, but is fair use. The same principal would also protect the recording of internet radio and other media, although the Supreme Court has not ruled specifically on this issue, but the Court does follow stare decisis, the principle that former court decisions must be followed. The ruling contemplated that the person taping was receiving the television show from a legitimate source, so such a ruling would not and does not give legal support or justification for downloading music or movies from a source who is not entitled to disseminate such media.
I am frustrated and angry that I can not legally record with my new HP Pavilion dv6810 us notebook computer.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 11 of 27 (1,921 Views)

There is a Microsoft forum devoted to this topic. It affects not only HP computers but other brands as well.
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?pageindex=3&siteid=1&postid=1005274&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Renfrew Potash
Message 12 of 27 (1,921 Views)

Hi Sam..having the same issue as you..it's a drag. I have a compaq, which is an hp product
now and it is doing the same thing..just the
mic as a recording device.. we pay our good
money for a product and they ship it with
it's capabilties disabled for the consumer.
I checked Roemer's site too,
and there used to be a patch there for vista
but now "mysteriously" it has vanished..with
the suggestion to contact the "manufacturer"
alot of good that does I see!! Did you come
up with any solution as yet?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ant mal
Message 13 of 27 (1,921 Views)

i have an hp dv2000 and i am having the exact same problem with the recording option i am wondering if i can just replace the sound card or is there is a better solution coming
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 14 of 27 (1,921 Views)

I just thought I would post my latest communications with Microsoft support concerning the subject of why I can't record with Windows Vista and my HP laptop.

>
> Dear Sam,

> Just want to say hi and see how everything is going. I haven't heard back from you yet and I'm just writing in to see if there's any update on the case. I would appreciate it if you could get back to me at your earliest convenience, so that we can bring the problem to resolution as soon as possible.
>
> For your reference, I have included my last response at the end of this email.
>
>
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Kane Yu
>
>
> Microsoft Windows Vista Escalation Support Professional
>
>
>
> ========Last response=========

> Dear Sam,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate all your time, patience and efforts on our issue.
>
>
>
> Thank you for your understanding that this is a sound device driver issue. If we look at page 5 on the thread you give me, you will find that someone installed a Windows XP driver for his sound device on Windows Vista and this driver enabled the full recording ability.
>
>
>
> I am afraid that it is not responsible for HP to blame this driver problem to Microsoft. As we know, Microsoft do not develop drivers for 3rd party devices. Even the drivers built-in Windows Vista were provided by their own manufacturers before the release of Windows Vista.
>
>
>
> In addition, I would like to explain that the driver updates on Windows Update server are also provided directly from the device manufacturers or OEM manufacturers.
>
>
>
> At this time, I researched on HPâ s website and hoped that HP has developed a Windows XP driver so that we can try it as Dell users did with the Sigmatel sound chipset. Unfortunately, HP even has no driver for Windows XP OS.
>
>
>
> Based on the current situation, we have two options to workaround this issue:
>
> 1. wait for HPâ s new driver update. However, I am not optimistic that HP will develop a powerful driver for the sound chipset they used.
>
>
>
> 2. use a USB sound device which has its own sound driver, driver powerful enough to include the recording features.
>
>
>
> Please take your time with the above steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have further questions or concerns, feel free to let me know.
>
>
>
> I look forward to your reply.
>
>
>
> Best Regards,
>
>
>
> Kane Yu
>
>
> Microsoft Windows Vista Escalation Support Professional
>
Dear Kane-
I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. It has been a crazy week at work. I also checked for a Windows XP sound card driver about 2 months ago, but could find nothing. The reason I did so was because I read in one of the forums that this technique was successful with Dell computers with Vista. Roemer Software, which develops recording software such as Free Hi-Q Recorder and others that are not free, reports that using external sound cards with their drivers has worked on desktop computers but has not been successful with laptops, but Roemer suggests that a PCMCIA sound card might. There are just 2 problems with this approach: 1) A PCMCIA sound card lists for $249.99 from Amazon, although Amazon sells refurbished PCMCIA sound card for $79.99 and 2) even more daunting, I do not have a PCMCIA slot on my new HP Pavillion dv6700. Instead I have an Express Card Slot, which HP says is the next generation of slots for laptops. Unfortunately there are almost no devices yet designed for Express Card slots, and I have not found any Express Card sound cards. So to date I have no solutions. Sam
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jan kozak
Message 15 of 27 (1,921 Views)

hi all good people
i just downgrade my HP 9730us from vista to win xp -no problem here.
My only problem is no STEREO MIX or WAVE OUT function in audio mixer device and i need this to run my internet radio.My audio driver is conextant hd audio 221 .Is any chance i can replace this audio driver ??
Please, any help would be greatly appreciated...
For all who still want to record music or radio broadcast from internet without stereo mix or wave out.... please try
1 Internet radio recorder 14 day trial then 39.99 win 2000/XP only -great.great program http://www.download.com/Internet-Radio-Recorder/3000-2168_4-10331373.html
2 Total recorder-standard version www.totalrecorder.com only 18 $$$
Records PC audio from almost any source, including streamed audio from programs like Windows Media Player. It can also record conventional audio from a CD, a microphone, and other input lines on a sound card. Recordings can be saved to the hard drive in wave (compressed or uncompressed), WMA, MP3, FLAC, or Ogg Vorbis format. This version also incorporates extensive features for editing audio files and enhanced scheduling features.
My question is how you can record with those programs excellent quality mp3 without stereo mix or wave out still using conexant high definition smart audio 221.
Good luck @ll
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 16 of 27 (1,921 Views)

To: High Criteria Support

I am considering buying Total Recorder Standard Edition and if I like it I may even upgrade to the Professional Edition. I have a HP Pavilion notebook running Microsoft Windows Vista with a AMD Turion 64 bit processor. Can I run your programs with a 64 bit processor?
Respectfully,
Sam Houston

Dear Sam Houston,
Regretfully, Total Recorder has not been tested with Windows 64-bit, so we cannot guarantee it will work properly.

If Win64 provides compatibility with 32-bit applications, then Total Recorder will work if installed without its driver. However, the driver was designed specifically for each version of Windows OS and the current version of the driver could be incompatible with Win64.

But we are working on developing of a driver specifically for Windows Vista 64-bit. Perhaps, Total Recorder will provide such functionality in the nearest future.

Kind regards,

High Criteria Support Team.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 17 of 27 (1,921 Views)

I have been to this forum since early May about this problem and today someone from Vista Pro Audio Application Development gave me an answer (not completely perfect but it works). But first, check the simplest thing. Right click on the audio icon in the lower right system tray, then select recoding devices, and you might just see "Microphone". Under that in the empty white area right click and make sure that "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" are both checked". If they are and you still don't have Stereo Mix or Wave, then you are just like me. But now I have the answer. It is called Freecorder and you can download for free at
http://applian.com/sound-recorder/
The Vista Development guy said he could'nt get it work in Firefox, only with Microsoft Internet Explorer, but it works in both for me. It installs a toolbar in your browser (and if you are not using it or are tired of looking at it, just go to View, then Toolbars, and uncheck it). One setting you should be sure to do in Freecorder is go to Settings (its on the toolbar) and Under the Audio Recording Configuration check "Record From Freecorder Audio Drive" and check "Record From Freecorder Input Audio Drive" and be sure that "Record From Windows Input Device" is unchecked. And you are very welcome.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
glen hippel
Message 18 of 27 (1,921 Views)

Ive been havong similar problems, trying to record a decent signal from dj mixer plugged into the mic socket of laptop. First few second of recording was recorded fine , but the rest of the recording was poor quality.Treble dropped off and sounded muffled. Solved it by unticking the 'enable audio enhancements' box ,found on 'advanced'tab under microphone properties - now it records decent quality from a dj mixer to the jack mic socket of laptop. Using a compaq presario a975em with conexant 221 soundcard on vista home
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Matthew J Crawford
Message 19 of 27 (1,921 Views)

Is there a resolution to this yet? I've been through this thread, and tried all the suggested resolutions (including using Freecorder, which is not working for me in Firefox or Explorer). I have spoken to two HP reps, and neither could help me. Or is there an external USB card that is for sure compatible with this crappy setup?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 20 of 27 (1,921 Views)

To Matthew Crawford-
Sorry Freecorder doesn't work for you. It was my solution and salvation. If you haven't done so, you might also try Total Recorder from High Criteria. Trust me, I felt your pain. I talked to many HP and Microsoft Vista support persons. One HP rep in India told me I needed to reformat my hard drive and put it back to its factory condition. I told her the sound card has never been able to record from day one, so why would I want to lose all my data and have to reload dozens of programs. No she said, you must reformat your hard drive. No thanks, the problem is this deficient Conexant sound card that HP installed in their factory. And I could find no way to contact Conexant about this problem (and believe me I tried). Apparently they do not deal directly with the public. Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jim Spisak
Message 21 of 27 (1,857 Views)

I did find that Freecorder does work with my Conexant sound card, but if I mute while recording the recording stops. In other words, I need to listen while recording.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam Houston
Message 22 of 27 (1,857 Views)

If you don't want listen while you record, there are 2 possible alternatives. 1) Plug a pair of earphones in the ear phone jack and put them in a drawer near your computer(or you could just get a jack that would fit in the microphone or external speaker ports and you would then hear no sound. 2) I have a pair of external speakers that came with an old desktop computer and they have their own volume control so you can turn them down and still record. When you plug in the external speakers it cuts off the built in laptop speaker. You should be able to find them cheaply at a second hand computer shop or even Goodwill or some thrift shops. Ask around because lots of people have old computers laying around who might have speakers and you may be able to get them for next to nothing.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jim Spisak
Message 23 of 27 (1,857 Views)

Sam, first of all I should have thanked you for this forum post in my first reply. A lot of us have the same problem. I experimented with TotalRecorder and that program works as well and you can mute the speakers or turn them down and still record. Just wonder why one program works one way and the other another way with our sound card. ??? Again, THANKS for everyoneâ s suggestions!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jim Spisak
Message 24 of 27 (1,857 Views)

Yes, definitely TotalRecorder is the answer to my audio recording issues! However, I do have a question that pertains more to live streaming. Why do some live streaming radio stations, when listening online, have an echo sound? Does anybody know how to improve the sound of live streaming listening?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mark Leroy
Message 25 of 27 (1,857 Views)

Sam Houston, we are all in your debt for your persistence with this matter. I myself have a Compaq Presario CQ60, running Vista, I have tried everything, and I mean everything Still no Stereo Mix, These are my only two options in Recording Devices. 1. Microphone Conexant High Def Smart Audio 221 (this is enabled). & 2. Internal AUX Jack NVIDIA Audio << donâ t know what that is as it wont let me enable it. Now I have right clicked to show both disabled and disconnected device, I can confirm for sure the fix is not on the computer, itâ s not something we canâ t find. It just simply is not there. I have been to HP site and updated driver, still nothing.

Now I use Cam Studio to record videos and it is essential for me to record the sound from my speakers so it will pick up the sound of the playing video. Itâ s my own stuff I am recording I simply play a video on my screen Cam Studio allows me to capture the video but there is no sound, hence the reason for needing Stereo mix.

Sam have you found a solution, I feel like throwing my laptop off the wall, PC World will not change saying my reason is not a valid one, Even if they did I wouldâ nt know what computer dose what I am looking for. I got this Laptop to do what I explained above and I canâ t even get a support technician chat going.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation