XP will not shut down (65 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Message 1 of 3 (65 Views)

XP will not shut down

I have an HP Pavilion 514n that has repeatedly given me a problem of rebooting when I try to shut it down. I have all of the MS updates, I update and scan for virus' every week. I have fixed this problem with online support, but I can no longer access that.

I have had this computer since February and I have never had forms auto complete work. My previously used web addresses and email addresses will give me a fill in choice, but I have always had to fill in all forms individually.

Thanks for your help,
Terry Kuper
`
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (65 Views)

Re: XP will not shut down

The reboot tends to occur because either you have ACPI or APM disabled in the BIOS, or the wrong HAL is installed for your machine.

Make sure that APM/ACPI is enabled.

If the problem still persists you may need to re-install Windows while you have ACPI/APM enabled.
Valued Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (65 Views)

Re: XP will not shut down

as for your autocomplete not working correctly, you can check the settings by opening your web browser, click on the TOOLS menu, then INTERNET OPTIONS, then click on CONTENT button, then click on the AUTOCOMPLETE button. Check all the boxes, and click on CLEAR FORMS and CLEAR PASSWORDS once to reset the browser. It wouldnt hurt to also click on the ADVANCED TAB after INTERNET OPTIONS and click the RESTORE DEFAULTS button. Everything should work fine after this.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.