Re: System Board OOA Product Information Not Valid (198866 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Will Jackson
Message 1 of 84 (208,655 Views)

System Board OOA Product Information Not Valid

Bought a new HP laptop last Friday, model number G61-511WM. After I hit the start button I get the following error message:
System Board OOA Product Information Not Valid
Product Name
Configuration
Serial number
Product Number
For help go to HP.com/go/techcenter/startup

When I go to this website it eventually wants to run a test of the system so as to gather info but it never stops.

What can I do to get this info entered into the computer's system and get rid of the error? I can hit enter and the boot will continue but still, this info seems to be missing. Any help is appreciated? I am almost to the point of returning this to Walmart for either a refund or exchange.
Occasional Visitor
Ian Budden
Message 2 of 84 (207,617 Views)

Re: System Board OOA Product Information Not Valid

Having the same problem, anyone got a solution?
Occasional Visitor
Jason
Message 3 of 84 (207,596 Views)

I'm having the same problem.  I hope there is a solution...it's quite annoying!

Occasional Visitor
MommaBear63
Message 4 of 84 (207,488 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem:

I just received my HP Pavilion dv7-3173nr laptop a couple days ago.  The HP Support Assistant performed a bunch of updates, and now I receive the following error msg every time it boots up:

Product Information Not Valid

The following product information programmed into the system board is missing or invalid.

System Board (00A)  - Product Name, Configuration, serial number, product number

Enter - Continue Startup

For more information please visit hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Well, there is no information at that location.  After reading through several off site boards, I find this is a common problem with HP and that the recommended action is to use a HP DMI editor tool to rewrite the information on the mother board.  I am NOT an advanced user and have NO idea how to do this.  

I called HP, and after two hours all they can say is send it end.  I dont think so.  If anything I'll return the darn thing and by another brand next time.  

HP Pro
Vidya_S
Message 5 of 84 (206,712 Views)

Please check this document that has the procedure to resolve the issue:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443496&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

While I am a HP employee, I am not an expert on all our products. When I offer advice, I'm not speaking for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Occasional Visitor
Aaron T Lee
Message 6 of 84 (206,463 Views)

[ Edited ]

The problem you are having can only be fixed by an HP Field Tech. I am one and I've fixed this issue before. It's an advisory that's only distributed internally at HP. Put in a service ticket. Any tech that has the latest s/n changer can fix this. Once the tech has booted the s/n changer, they'll put the info in like always, only this time, there will be two extra options. For any technician reading this, it'll ask something related to a 25-digit hex value that says (hit enter if unknown.) Instead, enter 25 zeros and hit enter. Then, on the softstylus option, just hit enter to leave it at defaults. That completes the latest version of the tool. This should fix your problem.

Occasional Visitor
attic24
Message 7 of 84 (206,262 Views)

Many thanks for sharing this info - can you please confirm if this issue can be resolved by HP remotely by connecting to my laptop or do I need to send my Laptop to HP centre?

regards

HP Expert
Cyclops
Message 8 of 84 (206,196 Views)

you will need to take it to the service center...that information needs to be entered manually

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Occasional Visitor
Sandy456
Message 9 of 84 (205,020 Views)

[ Edited ]

My laptop is showing same error whenever i start my laptop. It all happened after upgrading my BIOS.

As my warranty period is over, will there be any charge for this?

If yes, Why???

It all happened after upgrading my BIOS. 

Occasional Visitor
jreed
Message 10 of 84 (202,152 Views)

You will have to have a Certified HP Tech reset the electronic serial number for you. They have access to  the tool needed to reenter the serial.

Occasional Visitor
kicker22004
Message 11 of 84 (198,866 Views)

Ok i'm not sure if this is closed yet....but i found it when i was searching for an awnser so i'll post it here....

I fixed MINE!!! all you need is basic DoS Skills and a bootable USB (all found on google) and the DMIFIT tool and HPBQ138.EXE (also google) from there you just have to boot to usb type HPBQ138 and fill in the correct info. Under basic here is a Hint, Remove your Battery and there is your PCID Number :P

Basic Menu

<0> Serial Number = Obviosly your S/N on the back of your laptop

<1> Notebook Model= Mine was Compaq Presario Cq61 NoteBook PC.......Don't think this really matters

<2> Guid Number= This one was a B#$%H i had no clue so RANDOM FTW!!

<3> UUID Number= Select 1 to generate UUID

<4> SKU Number= It's the Product Number on the bottom Mine was WA985UA#ABA

<5> CTO Localization Code = ABA

<6> MAC Address = Agian Random....you can judge or use and get past hitting Enter everytime!

<7> PCID = Ok under the battery cover there is a Sticker....it might also be on the Motherboard.

<8> System Board CT # = i left this blank....it's a sticker on the motherboard if you want to fill it in.<not needed

<A> Advanced Menu

<2> OS SKU = if no windows (0), if it had vista (1), if it had windows 7 (2)

<A> Platform Revision = I put in 110 but it could be different

and then just Esc all the way out until your at C:\ then just CTRL+ALT+DELET and enjoy...hopefully.

You might noticed i didn't enter all the ADVANCED MENU options....if you choose to play in them Go for it at your Own RISK.

Occasional Visitor
Roninhobbit
Message 12 of 84 (198,821 Views)

I spent HOURS trying to find out the PCID number, since the error wouldn't go away without it. Even called HP, and they wouldn't help me. Then I stumbled on this post to find out it's under the friggin' battery. Finally!

You, sir or madam, are my new best friend.

Occasional Visitor
kicker22004
Message 13 of 84 (198,686 Views)

No Problem i spent alot of time finding all this info and figured i would just help out and make this well known seeing how the problem is very commen. I also called HP and they denied me the info even tho they had it.

Occasional Visitor
gibradford
Message 14 of 84 (198,323 Views)

Hi Kicker, i have the exact same laptop as you, and the exact same product information not valid. Where can i find the  DMIFIT tool and HPBQ138.EXE!?

Occasional Visitor
merc_mike
Message 15 of 84 (197,489 Views)

Wow, this worked like a champ on my CQ61!

Occasional Advisor
TonyMJ
Message 16 of 84 (195,071 Views)

That's really helpful kicker, but I'm not clear why DMIFIT is needed. Isn't HPBQ138 part of the DMIFIT package?

I'm just so p***** off with HP - it's taken me hours to find this helpful post.

Occasional Advisor
TonyMJ
Message 17 of 84 (194,917 Views)

I've done it. Worked perfectly on my CQ61. Right numbers now in place and Win 7 reports that it's activated. I Found (Google) and downloaded DMIFIT 2C10 Utility, unpacked it to a memory stick, disabled the AUTOEXEC file by renaming it (as I don't think it's needed), downloaded, unpacked and  and added HPBQ138_patched, booted to the memory stick and type HPBQ138. Then follow the prompts using kicker's guidance above. I didn't bother with the GUID, the MAC address or the System board or anything on the advanced menu.

Occasional Visitor
jimettrix
Message 18 of 84 (193,514 Views)

Oh goodness... I DON'T have basic DOS skills and it sounds like this is what I need to do, especially since people are mentioning it also created problems with Windows 7 being invalid etc. I have the same issue and I do NOT want to send it in to pay tons of money to fix, but I have to say, this isn't quite plain enough English for me. I get that I need to download a few things that can be found on google, but I'm not positive where to go from there and if a bootable USB is the same as any other memory stick I have etc. If anyone is still reading this thread, can you try and break it down a little better for me? I'm not computer illiterate but I sure feel like it right now. :)

Occasional Visitor
Weazzyefff
Message 19 of 84 (193,305 Views)

I'm in the same boat as you mate :(

Occasional Visitor
schmitty79
Message 20 of 84 (193,239 Views)

[ Edited ]

The fix is easy but HP is being a much of a pain as they can about this problem, I have been searching for weeks for the DMI tool and password and have been talking with HP on fixing it.

Occasional Visitor
bradydv6
Message 21 of 84 (191,935 Views)

[ Edited ]

any idea if this fix is legit for pavillion dv6?  I am getting the same system error: System Board (00A).  Of course the problem occurs after the warranty expires.  HP wants $50 for first trouble shoot and who knows how much after that.  disgrace.  Question on the usb boot...after I formatted the usb I only copied down the DMIFIT tool and HPBQ138.  are there any other files that need to be available on the usb drive?  I also changed the boot order to reflect the USB drive but that did not work.  Any ideas?

many thanks!

Occasional Advisor
TonyMJ
Message 22 of 84 (191,916 Views)

Did you manage to boot with the USB drive? If not, here's the way to make it bootable: http://thepcspy.com/read/bootable_usb_flash_drive/ Otherwise you seem to have all the right software.

Occasional Visitor
bradydv6
Message 23 of 84 (191,874 Views)

genius...that was the last piece of the puzzle!...system boots as normal and windows is activated...only side effects were that I had to reactivate my internet security (using my remaining license) and HP support assistant does not recognize the data that I installed; serial number is still coming up as 01234....  However my system configuration reflects correctly all the information that I entered.  go figure.  but I think I can live with that...unless you think that may be an issue.

many thanks for the help!

Occasional Visitor
dick_hertz
Message 24 of 84 (189,692 Views)

[ Edited ]

CAN SOMEBODY-PLEASE help me with this product? PLEASE!

HPBQ138.EXE

thanks in advance...

Occasional Advisor
jeanbird
Message 25 of 84 (104,024 Views)

Will this work for a HPG61 Notebook PC? if so, can you walk me through this?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.