Presario Laptop. Power Light Blinking. Screen Black. (1765 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Joni Penttilä
Message 1 of 7 (1,765 Views)

Presario Laptop. Power Light Blinking. Screen Black.

I have a problem with Compaq Presario C300 laptop. I bought it without HD, and now installed 160gb WD Raptor in it. When I turn the computer on, orange power light turns on but after about two seconds it starts blinking rapidly and continues to blink until i turn it off. Screen is also totally black. Fans are running ok. When I put Vista CD in and turn laptop on, I can hear how it starts to read the disc. Could it be that 160gb hd is not compatible with this or something else?
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (1,765 Views)

Re: Presario Laptop. Power Light Blinking. Screen Black.

How does it do without the hard drive attached? If it powers up and the screen lights minus the hdd, then it is the hard drive. I also am not familiar with the Raptor WD laptop size hard drives. I thought Raptors were 3.5" desktop 10,000 rpm drives. Are you sure that is what you are using? Theoretically, SATA drives do not have a size limitation like ide drives, but if you have SATA native mode turned off in the BIOS you might be bumping up against approximately a 130 gig size limit since it is treating a SATA drive as an ide drive in that "SATA off" mode.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Occasional Visitor
Joni Penttilä
Message 3 of 7 (1,765 Views)

Sry, it is WD Scorpio. Same symphtons without HD.
Occasional Visitor
Joni Penttilä
Message 4 of 7 (1,765 Views)

I removed keyboard, LCD and DVD drive. Suddenly that light doesn't blink anymore. Now only problem seems to be that LCD is black. Should I be able to see boot messages in my external lcd as soon as i connect it into my laptop with vga cable.

PS. This laptop is similar to V5000 series if anyone wonders what is Presario C300.
Occasional Visitor
Joni Penttilä
Message 5 of 7 (1,765 Views)

Damn. I also removed battery and ran it with ac connector. As soon as I installed battery back, main power led starts to flash again. It makes no difference if battery+ac both are conected. Only thing that makes that flashing dissapear is to run it with ac only.
Advisor
jason wohlgemuth
Message 6 of 7 (1,765 Views)

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I'm having a similar problem and wanted to know if you ever found a solution. This one does it whether or not the battery is in or not.
Valued Contributor
Sayyad
Message 7 of 7 (1,765 Views)

check the issue by performing the steps provided below,

It seems the system board of the notebook is about to fail...

1. Disconnect the AC Adapter.
2. Remove the Battery.
3. Hold the Power button down for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Put the Battery in.
5. Reconnect the AC adapter.
6. Turn on the Notebook power.
7. Restart the Notebook.

Further go with below URL,

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00293581&dlc=en&product=3245634

If the issue persists then it might be with the system board of the notebook.
"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake"
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.