Re: Pavilion N54xx keyboard problem (234 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Jay Jay_1
Message 1 of 7 (234 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion N54xx keyboard problem

I recently encountered an intermittent problem with my keyboard, some keys did not respond. This occurred after the laptop was submitted to a light shock.
Is there an easy fix for this?
Tks
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (234 Views)

Re: Pavilion N54xx keyboard problem

How did it get shocked? First try testing the keyboard in DOS by booting from a DOS boot floppy (see www.bootdisk.com) and just try all the keys to see if they register on the screen. If some do not work in DOS, then go straight to the second suggestion below. If they work in DOS, first try uninstalling the keyboard as a device in device manager, reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver. If that does not work, for a second option try removing the keyboard and reseating the ribbon cable. I have a .pdf file showing how and if you scan these posts under "keyboard" there is a link to a really excellent flash player video step by step tutorial that one good samaritan has posted to the web. Let me know if you have trouble with the removal. If all else fails order a new keyboard ($60-80) from hp partsurfer. If the shock was strong enough to fry the keyboard odds are something else will be going out soon. Run a full diagnostic on the hardware from the boot up screen...watch the bottom of the display as you power up (it goes by fast) and hold down the right key to get into diagnostics. Good luck.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Frequent Advisor
Jay Jay_1
Message 3 of 7 (234 Views)

Thanks Steve for your excellent tips.
Seems to be OK now.
Respected Contributor
CA849624
Message 4 of 7 (234 Views)

Thanks for your compliments, Steve, :-) assuming that you were talking about the web page

http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~motl/hp-keyboard/
Superstring theory is the language in which God wrote the world.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 5 of 7 (234 Views)

Aye, that is the one and I have it bookmarked now.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Frequent Advisor
Flavio Baptista
Message 6 of 7 (234 Views)

I got the same issue a couple weeks ago. I did a "cold reset" : I removed the battery frm computer, removed the AC cord and my N5495 rested for a minute.
After that, the keyboard was fine again. I did that two times.
Xandó
Honored Contributor
Chris Kucy
Message 7 of 7 (234 Views)

I've had the same problem with my N5420L and am now on my third keyboard counting the original. I noticed the keyboards ribbon cable touches the metal ejectors on the pc card slot and my previous 2 keyboards showed signs of wear on the cable right were it went over the metal ejector thingies. I am thinking this wear might have damaged the cable because the cable is just 2 pieces of thin plastic with one piece having the electrical paths "painted" on it and the other piece adhered to it for protection.

What I did was put a piece of paper between the keyboard cable and the pc card slot ejectors to prevent the metal parts from rubbing on the keyboard cable and it has worked flawlessly now for almost a year. The other 2 keyboards only lasted for about 6 months each. Another thing could be tarnish.

I also had noticed the connector on both of the keyboards cables had some tarnish and dirt on the contacts which could have caused the sets of keys not to respond and reseating the cable may have just loosened the dirt build up.

"File Deletion Is Murder, Hard Drive Formatting Is Genocide" Unknown
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.