Laptop does not wake up from sleep mode (6471 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Evgueni Tsygankov
Message 1 of 33 (6,471 Views)

Laptop does not wake up from sleep mode

Brand new machine, DV2200, Vista. When I close the lid or when the machine goes to sleep mode, it does not wake up -- the buttons light up blue, I hear some hard drive activity, but the screen stays black.

Searched the web for "hp pavilion sleep problem" -- dozens of similar problems, but no constructive solution.

Spent 8 hours with HP support -- they had me reinstall power management and some system drivers, but it did not fix the problem. It seems to be something with NVIDIA drivers -- the problem that these are GeForce Go drivers that are to be supported by HP -- nVIDIA does not support them.

HP says -- don't use Sleep mode, but I do want to use the sleep mode -- this is a feature of the mobile computing that MUST WORK.

So, to sum-up: a brand new machine and then hours of headache.

What I don't understand, how can HP SHIP A LAPTOP WITH A PROBLEM SUCH AS THIS TO THE MARKET!!!! Remember, my case is not special -- all these other people say the same thing -- you close the lid, open it back up and it stays black!

Frequent Advisor
Don Bigfoot
Message 2 of 33 (6,471 Views)

Re: Laptop does not wake up from sleep mode

I've had simular problems with my Laptop dv6000t. I recently downloaded the new drivers for the nvidia geforce video and the troubles were minimized enough so that I could live with it as it is now. Once in awhile it will do as you have discribed in your post. So if there are new updates for your card, go ahead and install them, it just might cure the problem...:=D
Respected Contributor
Gerry
Message 3 of 33 (6,471 Views)

Also check to make sure your sleep mode is not set to hibernate where it should be set to standby. Many brands of laptops have problems when it goes into hibernate mode.
Occasional Visitor
Evgueni Tsygankov
Message 4 of 33 (6,471 Views)

Thank you for your answers.

I tried several different drivers available on HP.com -- none of them solved the problem. I also confirmed -- the laptop does not use the hibernate mode.
Occasional Advisor
Piotr Merchel
Message 5 of 33 (6,471 Views)

[ Edited ]

Evgueni Tsygankov you'r right I bought another brand notebook for 700 euro one year ago and it is much more better (usefull) than hp for almost 2000 euro.

Occasional Visitor
Evgueni Tsygankov
Message 6 of 33 (6,471 Views)

My complaint is not about the price.

It's about HP shipping a product without testing it. Or, testing it, finding a problem, and then still shipping the product without disclosing the problem.

It's a brand new laptop, turn it on, close the lid, open the lid, the screen stays black. Many people complain about the same issue on the web.

How could HP ship a laptop like this, I just don't understand...

Respected Contributor
Gerry
Message 7 of 33 (6,471 Views)

Also try this it works on my old HP laptop.

After opening lid i have to press the Fn key + the monitor icon key then it turns on.
Occasional Advisor
Piotr Merchel
Message 8 of 33 (6,471 Views)

I meant when higher price than higher expectations
Occasional Advisor
Charles Iverson
Message 9 of 33 (6,496 Views)

are you sure its in sleep mode? or hibernate? when i had this problem with my dv2213cl
the support agent told me it was caused by a boot issue, it just would not boot out of hibernate or sleep

long story short i had to send the computer to be serviced and they ended up missing the commitment date and i had to end up calling them only to be told that they found nothing wrong with the computer ( but that they were working to fix the problem) well it came back with something that did not need to be fixed

and the problem still was the same i had to end up re imaging the hard disk to make it work again

to sum it up
i was out of a computer for little over a month since it was being fixed by support..

good luck ..

Occasional Advisor
Alexandru Burciu
Message 10 of 33 (6,496 Views)

My video just died after trying to recover from sleep mode. When I try to start up my dv2000t (GeForce 7200 Go) I only get a long beeps and two short beep while the screen is black and then it hangs.
Is there any solution? I can't use my laptop at all.
Occasional Advisor
Charles Iverson
Message 11 of 33 (6,474 Views)

to reply with the above message

i would not send it to hp for repair.

I just got hit with a $698,00 service charge for what they are claiming is damage from a liquid spill the funny thing is I only had it for a week after i got it back from the last time i had to send it to them (for the sleep issue) and it was the first time I had turned it back on that my new problem started and it was the first time i took it out of the box from there repair center!!

I have already sent it to them twice and they fixed something that did not even need to be fixed and they DID NOT fix the problem i was having in the first place ( the sleep issue that the original poster is having,
so as i speak its some were is NC on a self all tore apart and they are doing nothing
Occasional Visitor
Ramesh R.
Message 12 of 33 (6,474 Views)

I own a DV6000 series AMD Turion....I too have the same problem, a blank screen while return from sleep mode. HP repaired the problem, they changed the motherboard. After five months the same problem occurred. I contacted HP, and after through the supervisor I reached the case manager, and he told me this is a know issues and hence they have increased the warranty for the motherboard alone for 2 yrs (since i purchased with 1 yr warranty) from the date of purchase. The nvidia 7200 video card is not compatible with the motherboard. From my telephone conversation with the case manager it is very clear that HP is quite aware of this compatibility issue, but they just dont want to do anything about it.
Occasional Visitor
Niladri P
Message 13 of 33 (6,474 Views)

Hi Everybody,
I own a HP pavilion DV2000, which I bought brand new just a month back. Prior to this I used Dell inspiron which was probably one of the best laptops I ever used. Pavilion DV2000 came out to be the worst laptop I ever used. The biggest of the problem being the extreme slow performance, added to it is the problem of "not waking up from sleep if I close the lid while the power cable is plugged". So far I must have done at least 30 hard boots just to get the system started. Incidentally the situation happens only when the power cable is plugged in and does not happen when it is running with the battery.

I don't know how HP cld ship such defective models without proper testing.
Anyone of help...

Thanks
Occasional Visitor
SANJOY MAITRA
Message 14 of 33 (6,474 Views)

I face same problem in HP Pressario V3000 Laptop of Sl. No. 2CE65218CS. can you inform me the solution of that.
Occasional Advisor
Alexandru Burciu
Message 15 of 33 (6,474 Views)

Here's what happened to mine (Pavilion dv2000t EQ883AV with GeForce Go 7200 running Vista):
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1113241

The exact same symptom ("There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor") as described on the New Limited Warranty Service Enhancement page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189〈=en

My product number isn't listed as eligible for repair even though HP replaced my motherboard with the same model as the one that already broke (Wistron 30B3 61.64 as reported by System Information).

After reading some posts regarding the video issue, I'm afraid that this is likely to reoccur and there's nothing I can do about it.
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1136440
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1179013

I'm starting to think I bought a defective notebook.
Occasional Visitor
Joseph Belles
Message 16 of 33 (6,474 Views)

Sometimes this is just a RAM problem. Try to re-seat your ram. Here is a great instructional video to show you how. Hope this works! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBIN6tNyfMY

Reply back, if you have more problems and this doesn't work!
Occasional Advisor
plavalle
Message 17 of 33 (6,474 Views)

Easy fix for this, and at no cost to you. Remove the battery for 30 seconds (make sure the laptop is not plugged in), reinstall battery and start up the laptop.

You should be all set.

HP has a feature that shuts down the computer and the only way to reset it is to remove the battery.

Service techs will not tell you this, so when you bring the laptop in for repair, they charge you for removing and replacing the battery stating there was something wrong with the 'puter.
Man is smarter than machine, don't let the machine rule you.
Occasional Visitor
no fix
Message 18 of 33 (6,474 Views)

my question is why do we always have people reply with " i have the same problem..." This makes it harder for someone to search for the answer..i've read page's after page's of people just saying..i have the same prblem..do u know that is not helping out the problem.. so please if you have the same problem just post saying "i have the same problem.. post if you have a fix or link.

thanks
Occasional Visitor
DawnLairWest
Message 19 of 33 (6,474 Views)

Paul:

You are a saint!! I am working on a friends HP here when it flaked out with no display. I came here and read your advice and "PRESTO", I removed the battery, installed battery, and booted it up. And yes, it worked!

Thank you so much!

Dawn
Occasional Advisor
plavalle
Message 20 of 33 (6,474 Views)

To no fix-
Great question, however the subject of this thread is clearly noted "Laptop does not wake up from sleep mode"...

I'm certain no further explanation from others is warranted.

As I respond, I do not see, and I am sure you did not either, a place to change the subject to "Issue Resolution for Laptop does not wake up from sleep mode."

Occasional Advisor
plavalle
Message 21 of 33 (6,459 Views)

Dawn-
I am glad my solution helped you. I hope others find it useful as well.

For those that have tried my solution, and it did not work, try this:

Remove battery for a few hours, plug power supply without battery and start computer. This is another way you might get the computer to restart.

When the laptop goes into sleep mode, the memory manager can continue to allocate the memory reserve until it reaches zero...once this happens, there is no memory left for the computer to restart.

It is aggravating to say the least. I know several people who went out to buy a new laptop thinking their old one was no longer operable.

Occasional Contributor
Xi Chen
Message 22 of 33 (6,459 Views)

My machine, dv2315nr, has the similar problem from about two months ago. And the situation becomes worse and worse.

I purchased this machine Apr. 2007. And everything seems OK at the beginning except the battery doesn't last long.

From about two months ago, it occasionally can not wake up from sleep mode (the mode when close the lid). The only way I found out to make it boot up again is to remove the battery and reinstall.

Several weeks later, the situation became worse. The screen suddenly became chaotic once every one hour or two.

Now the machine can not boot up anymore. Only all the blue lights on but nothing else happens. The screen is always black. I try every way I can imagine or can get from website. It only restart once after I remove the battery for several hours but fail again quickly, and then it didn't start anymore under any conditions.

I found that HP has a two years Warranty Enhancement for DV2000 now. Does anyone has the experience that HP help you to fix the similar problem? Is it free or not?

Thanks very much for all feedbacks!
Occasional Visitor
Ricknj9831
Message 23 of 33 (6,459 Views)

FOUND A FIX (at least for me)

Hello All,
I too have had this problem with my Compaq presario not resumiing from stand by. I initially just disabled standby completely by going to control panel/power options, set it to never sleep, just turn off the display after 10 min and set the computer to shut off when the lid was closed. Therefore I would not lose any information in progress when the computer decided to go to sleep, and made me do a hard reboot in order to get my display back. What worked for me was to go to my computer/properties/device manager/display adapters/properties/ roll back the driver to the standard vga, reboot, and now it actually resumes and I do not lose any info.. Hope it works for you.....
Occasional Visitor
Alireza YAMI
Message 24 of 33 (6,459 Views)

Dear friends
I found a solution by adding a key to Windows Vista registry which completely Disable SLEEP MODE in system by making it in shut down menu unselectable and removes any sleep mode option from Power Options menu. It is a really genuine solution and works out smoothly. Then you may not touch Sleep button in shut down menu and have to hard boot pc.
If you need visual guide, look attachment.

To solve HP and Vista Sleep mode issue, disable the "sleep mode" both on shut down menu and Power Options menu by doing this action:

- Type regedit in Run and create the following registry key if it does not already exist

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings\abfc2519-3608-4c2a-94ea-171b0ed546ab

- Create the DWORD "ACSettingIndex" and set value to 0
Occasional Visitor
Tom Xavier
Message 25 of 33 (6,459 Views)

I have a dv3510nr which hangs on boot. It kept doing it occasionally, and tech support had no answer. It happened more on hibernate startup, but it has happened from cold boot. I reflashed the BIOS from version F.01 to F.03 and and updated all drivers. it hasn't happened since.

WHat I don't understand is how the video drivers can cause this since it hangs before any Windows components are even loaded, before the splash screen. This leads me to think it is a BIOS issue.

I will also try to reseat the ram as an added good measure.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.