I can't enter recovery mode F11 anymore (DV9644CA) (3153 Views)
Occasional Advisor
null Ayubies
Message 1 of 13 (3,153 Views)

I can't enter recovery mode F11 anymore (DV9644CA)

Hi all,
i got this dv9000 series hp pavilion shipped with bunch of software from hp along with vista home premium.. then one day i decided to install vista ultimate, then after that i noticed, i can't easily press F11 when booting to enter hp recovery mode. my recovery partition is still there. i missed my old vista home premium + all those software. any idea how to recover my laptop back to factory settings?. Thanks
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 2 of 13 (3,153 Views)

Re: I can't enter recovery mode F11 anymore (DV9644CA)

I hope I'm remembering this right, but go into Disk Management, and set D partition to (active)...then try it again. If no luck, use the recovery disks that I hope you made when you first got it, or you'll have to order them from HP!?
Occasional Advisor
null Ayubies
Message 3 of 13 (3,153 Views)

Thanks but no luck. didn't make any backup either. did i need to install any software from hp to make it works, because, before i notice that i can't browse that recovery partition but now i can. but i can't see nothing in there except 1 empty folder though spaces were used.
Respected Contributor
Gerry
Message 4 of 13 (3,153 Views)

If I remember correctly when you install Vista on a system with a recovery partition Vista will destroy it so you cannot do the factory restore. Even if another Vista version is on there.

If you did not make restore disk order the replacements from HP.
Occasional Advisor
null Ayubies
Message 5 of 13 (3,153 Views)

is it? sooo sad then.. mm, didn't we select a partition to install vista, why should another partition(recovery partition) got destroyed :( that's cruel. i always formatted+reinstalled OS like XP on one partition while saving other important files in different partition. if can, i don't want to request a cd from hp. i'm too lazy ;p
Respected Contributor
Gerry
Message 6 of 13 (3,153 Views)

Vista uses a totally different install method than XP.

Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 7 of 13 (3,153 Views)

When you went into Disk Management would Vista not let you select the Recovery partition and set it as Active with right click options?
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Occasional Advisor
null Ayubies
Message 8 of 13 (3,153 Views)

"When you went into Disk Management would Vista not let you select the Recovery partition and set it as Active with right click options?"

Yeah, it allows me to do that.. but no luck.. still does have any effect when i press F11 when boot. Thanks
Honored Contributor
John Y
Message 9 of 13 (3,153 Views)

What do ya think Cheryl? Kinda strange huh.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 10 of 13 (3,153 Views)

After setting it Active you Do Not tap F11 at start up.Let it boot normally.
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Respected Contributor
Gerry
Message 11 of 13 (3,291 Views)

Cheryl as you probably know Dell uses similar methods to do system restore from the hidden restore partition.

With Dell laptops the restore feature is embeded in the MBR and I assume HP's are as well. On Dell laptops the MBR is changed when any new installaton of any OS is performed. Thus disabling the restore access.

A user in the Dell forum has created a repair Cd that edits the partition table to be able to use the built in restore feature.

The reason I cite this is you are someone else as proficient as you may want to explore doing the same for HP laptops.

The Dell machines use a Ghost image. Do you know what type image HP uses? With the Dell pc's you can manually restore the ghost image by booting with a Ghost CD.

Anyway food for thought.
Occasional Advisor
null Ayubies
Message 12 of 13 (3,291 Views)

Hurmm..Thanks everyone.. what that i understand now, without a cd from hp, i can't get back my laptop with factory settings.. Now its the time to merge my recovery partition with OS since it alone take up 10Gigs+, wasted ;) Thanks for the thought.
Occasional Visitor
jmal_99
Message 13 of 13 (3,291 Views)

Yes if you install straight from a vista cd you "break" the connection to the recovery drive with the factory partition on it. But here's how you install the recovery drive image manually (the following steps refer to a dell inspiron so you might have to alter the steps according to your brand - if they work at all):

1) Boot from the installation cd. (if you try to do the next steps without booting from the cd, it will tell you that the files are currently in use, blah blah... and the install will fail)
2) There's an option somewhere to go to a command prompt.
3) Once at the command prompt, switch to the D: (or whatever drive your recovery image is on)
4) type "cd d:\dell\image\" (or spend some time muffing around your hp's recovery drive to find where the factory image is kept - it is a "wim" file)
5) type "dir" you should see a file named Factory.wim (If it's not, note the exact name of the wim file)
6) type "cd d:\tools\"
7) there is a program in this directory called imagex.exe (hp users may have to find where the imagex program is). Run the following command "imagex /info d:\dell\image\Factory.wim" This command will scroll a bunch of information about your image file. The only info you need is the index number. look for the tag that says (in my case, the # is 1, which it should be on everyone elses too)
8) type "imagex /apply d:\dell\image\Factory.wim 1 c:\" (where "1" is that image index # from above and c:\ is the drive I want windows installed on)
9) Viola! What you have done is installed the factory version of vista on your system with all the drivers and programs just as when you pulled it out the box. The only difference is that it installed over your previous copy of vista, so your old files and programs are still there. If you want a completely clean fresh copy of vista you can now restart your system and do the or + thing to get into advanced boot options - now the link to the recovery drive will be there and you can format the drive before installing the factory image.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.